extra 1gb added

Squibbly

extra 1gb added
i tried to add 1gb more to my 2gb of ram, it just either went to the logo
where the bar was going continually scrolling across the bottom of the
screen, i then went to the repair screen, and all it said was that it was
caused by the installation of new hardware/software, so to my fustration i
took out the 1 gb more after i had restarted again, it works, could it be
the ram or something vista didnt like?

neil

Re: extra 1gb added
It could be the type of memory you are installing or if the motherboard
requires it to be added in pairs. Give more detail on your system I'm sure
someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
Neil
"Squibbly" <notreal@tostopspam.com> wrote in message
>i tried to add 1gb more to my 2gb of ram, it just either went to the logo
>where the bar was going continually scrolling across the bottom of the
>screen, i then went to the repair screen, and all it said was that it was
>caused by the installation of new hardware/software, so to my fustration i
>took out the 1 gb more after i had restarted again, it works, could it be
>the ram or something vista didnt like?

Squibbly

Re: extra 1gb added
the mobo doesnt require it to be in pairs

and all the memory modules are from crucial
with the same specs

"neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> It could be the type of memory you are installing or if the motherboard
> requires it to be added in pairs. Give more detail on your system I'm sure
> someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
> Neil
> "Squibbly" <notreal@tostopspam.com> wrote in message
>>i tried to add 1gb more to my 2gb of ram, it just either went to the logo
>>where the bar was going continually scrolling across the bottom of the
>>screen, i then went to the repair screen, and all it said was that it was
>>caused by the installation of new hardware/software, so to my fustration i
>>took out the 1 gb more after i had restarted again, it works, could it be
>>the ram or something vista didnt like?

Dominic Payer

Re: extra 1gb added
Which motherboard do you have and have you installed the latest chipset
drivers?

I have seen the same thing on two nForce 4 boards with more than 2GB (2 x
1GB) RAM, which was resolved by removing the extra RAM and replacing it
after the latest chipset and graphics drivers had been installed.

"Squibbly" <notreal@tostopspam.com> wrote in message
>i tried to add 1gb more to my 2gb of ram, it just either went to the logo
>where the bar was going continually scrolling across the bottom of the
>screen, i then went to the repair screen, and all it said was that it was
>caused by the installation of new hardware/software, so to my fustration i
>took out the 1 gb more after i had restarted again, it works, could it be
>the ram or something vista didnt like?

Squibbly

Re: extra 1gb added
its an asus p4v8x-x and the chipset is via, the thing about the drivers, it
came with vista
the graphics drivers for the chipset is up to date

"Dominic Payer" <dcp@fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> Which motherboard do you have and have you installed the latest chipset
> drivers?
>
> I have seen the same thing on two nForce 4 boards with more than 2GB (2 x
> 1GB) RAM, which was resolved by removing the extra RAM and replacing it
> after the latest chipset and graphics drivers had been installed.
>

> "Squibbly" <notreal@tostopspam.com> wrote in message
>>i tried to add 1gb more to my 2gb of ram, it just either went to the logo
>>where the bar was going continually scrolling across the bottom of the
>>screen, i then went to the repair screen, and all it said was that it was
>>caused by the installation of new hardware/software, so to my fustration i
>>took out the 1 gb more after i had restarted again, it works, could it be
>>the ram or something vista didnt like?

Bob

Re: extra 1gb added
"neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> It could be the type of memory you are installing or if the motherboard
> requires it to be added in pairs. Give more detail on your system I'm sure
> someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
> Neil
> "Squibbly" <notreal@tostopspam.com> wrote in message
>>i tried to add 1gb more to my 2gb of ram, it just either went to the logo
>>where the bar was going continually scrolling across the bottom of the
>>screen, i then went to the repair screen, and all it said was that it was
>>caused by the installation of new hardware/software, so to my fustration i
>>took out the 1 gb more after i had restarted again, it works, could it be
>>the ram or something vista didnt like?

Maybe there's a way to get the Vista's built in Memtest program running to
test both memory sticks? If you could boot up in safe mode then maybe the
test can be run...someone knowledgeable with the test can help on that. It
would seem that if the computer boots as far as starting to load Windows
that the memory is being recognized by the bios otherwise you wouldn't get
as far as you do and the computer wouldn't turn on or boot past the bios
check. Be a good idea to check the memory settings in your bios and make
sure that they conform to what the memory requires according to the
manufacturer's specs. Sometimes the "auto" settings aren't accurate and it
requires that the settings ( mem voltage and timings) to be set manually.
Bob

Dominic Payer

Re: extra 1gb added
I would get the latest chipset drivers from VIA
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2&OSID=36 and see if that
resolves the issue. Windows Update doesn't always have the latest drivers.

> its an asus p4v8x-x and the chipset is via, the thing about the drivers,
> it came with vista
> the graphics drivers for the chipset is up to date
>
> "Dominic Payer" <dcp@fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Which motherboard do you have and have you installed the latest chipset
>> drivers?
>>
>> I have seen the same thing on two nForce 4 boards with more than 2GB (2 x
>> 1GB) RAM, which was resolved by removing the extra RAM and replacing it
>> after the latest chipset and graphics drivers had been installed.
>>

>> "Squibbly" <notreal@tostopspam.com> wrote in message
>>>i tried to add 1gb more to my 2gb of ram, it just either went to the logo
>>>where the bar was going continually scrolling across the bottom of the
>>>screen, i then went to the repair screen, and all it said was that it was
>>>caused by the installation of new hardware/software, so to my fustration
>>>i took out the 1 gb more after i had restarted again, it works, could it
>>>be the ram or something vista didnt like?

Conor

Re: extra 1gb added
In article <5F99C18C-E2AD-4533-9420-5797950F80F8@microsoft.com>,
Squibbly says...
> the mobo doesnt require it to be in pairs
>
> and all the memory modules are from crucial
> with the same specs

neil is a clueless Loonix troll. I'm surprised he hasn't told you to
install Loonix.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Squibbly

Re: extra 1gb added

"Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
>> It could be the type of memory you are installing or if the motherboard
>> requires it to be added in pairs. Give more detail on your system I'm
>> sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
>> Neil
>> "Squibbly" <notreal@tostopspam.com> wrote in message
>>>i tried to add 1gb more to my 2gb of ram, it just either went to the logo
>>>where the bar was going continually scrolling across the bottom of the
>>>screen, i then went to the repair screen, and all it said was that it was
>>>caused by the installation of new hardware/software, so to my fustration
>>>i took out the 1 gb more after i had restarted again, it works, could it
>>>be the ram or something vista didnt like?

> Maybe there's a way to get the Vista's built in Memtest program running
> to test both memory sticks? If you could boot up in safe mode then maybe
> the test can be run...someone knowledgeable with the test can help on
> that. It would seem that if the computer boots as far as starting to load
> Windows that the memory is being recognized by the bios otherwise you
> wouldn't get as far as you do and the computer wouldn't turn on or boot
> past the bios check. Be a good idea to check the memory settings in your
> bios and make sure that they conform to what the memory requires according
> to the manufacturer's specs. Sometimes the "auto" settings aren't accurate
> and it requires that the settings ( mem voltage and timings) to be set
> manually.
> Bob

i got the meory tester going without the extra 1gb, then installed it, i
used a air duster to blow away a few dusty areas of the mobo, the tester
said it was ok, nothing wrong, but now the new problem that windows wont
recognise the extra 1gb

Squibbly

Re: extra 1gb added
this is like so weird