Help with my Samsung 913t LCD monitor, please ...

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

Help with my Samsung 913t LCD monitor, please ...
My monitor will not set up properly ... all I can set is 640 by 480 pixel
resolution and Medium (16 bit) colors. Does anyone know where I can get a
driver that Vista supports?
Malke

Re: Help with my Samsung 913t LCD monitor, please ...
Gerry wrote:
> My monitor will not set up properly ... all I can set is 640 by 480 pixel
> resolution and Medium (16 bit) colors. Does anyone know where I can get a
> driver that Vista supports?

This is not a function of your monitor drivers. It is a function of your
video card drivers. Go to either the video card mftr.'s website or the
OEM's website if you have that type of machine (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.)
and download/install the video card drivers for Vista.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Tom Lake

> Gerry wrote:
>> My monitor will not set up properly ... all I can set is 640 by 480 pixel
>> resolution and Medium (16 bit) colors. Does anyone know where I can get
>> a driver that Vista supports?

> This is not a function of your monitor drivers. It is a function of your
> video card drivers. Go to either the video card mftr.'s website or the
> OEM's website if you have that type of machine (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.) and
> download/install the video card drivers for Vista.

The wrong monitor .INF file can certainly prevent you from using the full
capabilities of the monitor. It can limit you to lower resolutions or
disallow
valid resolutions.

Tom Lake

Tom Lake wrote:

> The wrong monitor .INF file can certainly prevent you from using the full
> capabilities of the monitor. It can limit you to lower resolutions or
> disallow
> valid resolutions.

Yes, in certain circumstances with some of the newest monitors using a
"non-standard" resolution and aspect ratio. The Samsung 913T is not one
of these. However in all the many years I've been a tech I've never had
to install a monitor driver on a Windows system. The OP's problems are
because he doesn't have the correct video card drivers installed.

Malke

"Malke" wrote:

> Tom Lake wrote:
>
> > The wrong monitor .INF file can certainly prevent you from using the full
> > capabilities of the monitor. It can limit you to lower resolutions or
> > disallow
> > valid resolutions.

> Yes, in certain circumstances with some of the newest monitors using a
> "non-standard" resolution and aspect ratio. The Samsung 913T is not one
> of these. However in all the many years I've been a tech I've never had
> to install a monitor driver on a Windows system. The OP's problems are
> because he doesn't have the correct video card drivers installed.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks for the replies ... I will look into the video card drivers, however
.... the monitor was working just fine under XP. Do I need a different driver
for Vista? Or did installing Vista cause the system to choose a generic
driver instead of the original that I'd been using under XP? One last
question ... how do I determine what type video card it is .. and what's the
right driver? Thanks in advance for any assistance ... sorry to be such a
rookie at all of this ...

Gerry wrote:

> Thanks for the replies ... I will look into the video card drivers, however
> ... the monitor was working just fine under XP. Do I need a different driver
> for Vista? Or did installing Vista cause the system to choose a generic
> driver instead of the original that I'd been using under XP? One last
> question ... how do I determine what type video card it is .. and what's the
> right driver? Thanks in advance for any assistance ... sorry to be such a
> rookie at all of this ...

Yes, you need drivers for all your hardware for whatever operating
system you're running. Vista is a different operating system from XP and
so the drivers that worked for XP are not what you want to use in Vista.
Do not apologize for being a "rookie". We all had to start somewhere and
people like me are here in the newsgroups because we want to help you.

Here is general information about drivers:

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor. The older Aida32 is good for this, too.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.aumha.org/free.htm - Aida32 (hosted on Jim Eshelman's site)

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
=?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

Re: Help with my Samsung 913t LCD monitor, please ...
Okay ... I'm up and running ... An e-GeForce FX5200 nvidia graphics card
resolved all. Her PC is an older one, with only PCI slots available, so
this is the strongest (only 128 MB ), but it's really working fine. She has
Aero, and Flip 3D ... a 3.0 experience rating, and is now a "Happy Vista
Camper" ...

However ... I've still got one issue left to resolve ... our home network
has not worked since the Vista installations. Well .. it's kinda worked (all
the internet connections work, and we can share printers,) but we can't share
files or folders ...
I can see the network and the other computers, but attempting to open any
other PC's drive or folders (expect for the public ones). I've set no
passwords on any machines, and I've set maximum sharing permissions. But
still, whenever I try to access a file or folder on a networked PC, I
encounter this message --> "\\name\c: is not available. You might not have
permission to use this resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

I AM the "administrator of that server" ... but no matter how much I talk to
my self (user to administrator) I can't figure out how to allow the sharing
to occur.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance ... and oh yeah ... I will accept a "LEAVE ME ALONE, ONLY
ONE FIX TO A CUSTOMER!" response !!

Thanks again for all the help you've already given

Gerry

"Malke" wrote:

> Gerry wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the replies ... I will look into the video card drivers, however
> > ... the monitor was working just fine under XP. Do I need a different driver
> > for Vista? Or did installing Vista cause the system to choose a generic
> > driver instead of the original that I'd been using under XP? One last
> > question ... how do I determine what type video card it is .. and what's the
> > right driver? Thanks in advance for any assistance ... sorry to be such a
> > rookie at all of this ...

> Yes, you need drivers for all your hardware for whatever operating
> system you're running. Vista is a different operating system from XP and
> so the drivers that worked for XP are not what you want to use in Vista.
> Do not apologize for being a "rookie". We all had to start somewhere and
> people like me are here in the newsgroups because we want to help you.
>
> Here is general information about drivers:
>
> Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:
>
> 1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
> 2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
> 3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
> computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).
>
> Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.
>
> To find out what hardware is in your computer:
>
> 1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
> 2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
> model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
> anyway)
> 3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
> Advisor. The older Aida32 is good for this, too.
>
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
> http://www.aumha.org/free.htm - Aida32 (hosted on Jim Eshelman's site)
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

koze

Re: Help with my Samsung 913t LCD monitor, please ...
Maybe the help is in here:

for other PC's

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net..._fp.mspx#EZOAC

Ko

Gerry wrote:
> Okay ... I'm up and running ... An e-GeForce FX5200 nvidia graphics card
> resolved all. Her PC is an older one, with only PCI slots available, so
> this is the strongest (only 128 MB ), but it's really working fine. She has
> Aero, and Flip 3D ... a 3.0 experience rating, and is now a "Happy Vista
> Camper" ...
>
> However ... I've still got one issue left to resolve ... our home network
> has not worked since the Vista installations. Well .. it's kinda worked (all
> the internet connections work, and we can share printers,) but we can't share
> files or folders ...
> I can see the network and the other computers, but attempting to open any
> other PC's drive or folders (expect for the public ones). I've set no
> passwords on any machines, and I've set maximum sharing permissions. But
> still, whenever I try to access a file or folder on a networked PC, I
> encounter this message --> "\\name\c: is not available. You might not have
> permission to use this resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
> find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

(snippage)

It isn't "one fix to a customer"! ;-) After you check out Koze's good
links, take a look also at the following general networking
troubleshooting cut/paste to see if anything is applicable to your
network since I don't know what operating systems are on your other
machines:

This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on
the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall
or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton
2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
substitute your correct subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters
in your situation.

Shared Documents folder.

Malke