Maximum port speed for standard modem need to be increased

blackhornetx

Maximum port speed for standard modem need to be increased
I'm using 3g phone to connect to the internet. Using standard modem over
Bluetooth link as a driver, the speed is not as expected since the maximum
speed that can be setup in driver properties is 115.2 kbs while the speed
offered by 3g network is 384 kbs. So, I hope Microsoft can resolve this
problem.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices
MaNimal

RE: Maximum port speed for standard modem need to be increased

"blackhornetx" wrote:

> I'm using 3g phone to connect to the internet. Using standard modem over
> Bluetooth link as a driver, the speed is not as expected since the maximum
> speed that can be setup in driver properties is 115.2 kbs while the speed
> offered by 3g network is 384 kbs. So, I hope Microsoft can resolve this
> problem.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices

Curious

Re: Maximum port speed for standard modem need to be increased
It appears that you are limited to the speed of your Standard Modem since no
signal can go faster through it
"MaNimal" <MaNimal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "blackhornetx" wrote:
>
>> I'm using 3g phone to connect to the internet. Using standard modem over
>> Bluetooth link as a driver, the speed is not as expected since the
>> maximum
>> speed that can be setup in driver properties is 115.2 kbs while the speed
>> offered by 3g network is 384 kbs. So, I hope Microsoft can resolve this
>> problem.
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices

MaNimal

RE: Maximum port speed for standard modem need to be increased
I found this (your) post whilst searching for a solution to the same
limitation in Windows XP, & therefore whole heartedly agree with your
suggestion.
Similarly, I use a high speed 3.5G mobile [HSDPA(high speed data packet
access)] connection over a Nokia mobile, linked to my PC via USB, and found
the same problem.
Depending on OS and/or mobile phone driver version, it seems that the
maximum port speed (baud rate) can vary, at intervals, from 115200 (or
possibly lower) to 460800 or 921600, but no higher... [found through modem
options in control panel]
Interetingly though, it doesn't necessarily seem to actually limit the data
transfer rate whilst the connection is in use, at least in my case, as it
would often test far higher (using various reliable broadband speed testing
websites) if any higher speed is available on the mobile network at that time!
[Connection speeds over mobile networks are dependent on many more 'real
world' factors and is beyond the scope of this reply, but worth
investigating...]
Perhaps the 'real' (actual) data rate you can obtain is mainly determined by
the transmitters, receivers (nodes) and servers of such a network?
For example, the 3 Mobile Network is theoretically capable of a maximum
connection of 2.5-3Mbps (under the most ideal conditions, when extremely
quiet), and it is only possible to get close to these speeds at certain
(unsociable) times of day..!
Far more importantly, it appears [after much research] that configuring
protocol & packet settings are far more important to maintain an efficient,
and thus higher speed connection.
Plenty of information can be found on the web as to the best ways to 'tweak'
these settings manually for increased speed without adversely affecting
transfer integrity, or a small number of free or trial connection
configuration software utilities/tools can be downloaded here & there to do
just this.
[One I would recommend is 'TZ Connection Booster' as it sets all these
variables according to the type of connection you specify, whilst also
explaining & guiding you through during setup...]
Furthermore, one always has the option of using a connection 'booster' that
simply limits the amount & type of information downloaded during the page
So back to the original point, if it indeed matters now; surely it would be
a simple thing for someone kind enough at Microsoft to take the time to patch
their generic drivers or code in a simple registry edit for all of us Vista &
XP users in need out here, in a world of rapidly increasing mobile data
network capabilities, so that we can at least have the option of
setting/choosing our maximum modem port speed in line with the speeds that
are currently available.!?
Hopefully 'they're' not going to say 'it's not our problem', that it is up
to each individual mobile phone network or manufacturer to all improve their
drivers, as they're all probably (with luck) making use of Microsofts own
generic modem drivers..?
Fixing this one small thing, with such a large scope, may even improve
customer satisfaction a little...
We live in hope!

MaNimal

Re: Maximum port speed for standard modem need to be increased
Each modem has its' own maximum speed capability, hence the different types,
of which there are many.
Only if a particular modem had managed to be installed with a driver that
limited it in some way like this (perhaps outdated) would it be prevented
from transmitting/receiving at it's rated speed, or if the only driver
available was a default generic one within the OS.
[Though this seems to be highly unusual, as mobile phone manufacturers
provide drivers to users after writing them in conjunction with the makers of
the OS', and would be wanting their products to be able to be utilized
fully...]
Kind of like there only being an older person available to, but who is
incapable of, driving a fast car to its fullest...
Richard G. Harper

Re: Maximum port speed for standard modem need to be increased
You're confusing two different connections. Your phone can be used as a
standard dial-up modem when used in areas where there is no data connection
available. Believe it or not, there are still such places, especially if
you live outside major metropolitan areas. :-)

When in use as a data pump (connected via USB and using whatever utility
your phone bundles to access the data network) the serial port is not in
use. So it doesn't matter what you set it to, you are using the virtual
port created by the phone's data pump manufacturer, not a real serial port.
The data speed is irrelevant.