Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista wont recognize my USB device

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2007
Dean
 

Posts: n/a
Vista wont recognize my USB device
For some reason when i plug in my USB dance pad vista tells me it can't
recognize it and it shows up in the device manager as unknown device. This
device does not come with drivers and does not need any it works fine when i
plug it into a pc running Windows xp but it wont work on my Vista computer
also i plugged in other usb devices in the same port and they work fine so i
know it's not the port.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2007
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista wont recognize my USB device
The firmware in some usb devices are simply incompatible with Vista. I have
one external usb drive enclosure that simply does not work with Vista. It
works on every other box in the house that is running XP, but no Vista.
Vista is less tolerant than previous versions of Windows and some devices
that tested within specs for XP do not pass under Vista. Sorry.

"Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6587983-D119-435D-8DF7-E4E37930984C@microsoft.com...
> For some reason when i plug in my USB dance pad vista tells me it can't
> recognize it and it shows up in the device manager as unknown device. This
> device does not come with drivers and does not need any it works fine when
> i
> plug it into a pc running Windows xp but it wont work on my Vista computer
> also i plugged in other usb devices in the same port and they work fine so
> i
> know it's not the port.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2007
Dean
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista wont recognize my USB device
So there is no chance of my device ever working on vista?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> The firmware in some usb devices are simply incompatible with Vista. I have
> one external usb drive enclosure that simply does not work with Vista. It
> works on every other box in the house that is running XP, but no Vista.
> Vista is less tolerant than previous versions of Windows and some devices
> that tested within specs for XP do not pass under Vista. Sorry.
>
> "Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news6587983-D119-435D-8DF7-E4E37930984C@microsoft.com...
> > For some reason when i plug in my USB dance pad vista tells me it can't
> > recognize it and it shows up in the device manager as unknown device. This
> > device does not come with drivers and does not need any it works fine when
> > i
> > plug it into a pc running Windows xp but it wont work on my Vista computer
> > also i plugged in other usb devices in the same port and they work fine so
> > i
> > know it's not the port.

>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2007
---Fitz---
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista wont recognize my USB device
Unless the manufacturer of your USB device has posted Vista compatible
drivers on their website, you are correct. It will never work. I have a
web camera that is USB and will not work with Vista. No updated drivers are
available so now I call it a paperweight.

"Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:19BD6AD6-412C-47A7-96A1-7AA2A0CB4F84@microsoft.com...
> So there is no chance of my device ever working on vista?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> The firmware in some usb devices are simply incompatible with Vista. I
>> have
>> one external usb drive enclosure that simply does not work with Vista.
>> It
>> works on every other box in the house that is running XP, but no Vista.
>> Vista is less tolerant than previous versions of Windows and some devices
>> that tested within specs for XP do not pass under Vista. Sorry.
>>
>> "Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news6587983-D119-435D-8DF7-E4E37930984C@microsoft.com...
>> > For some reason when i plug in my USB dance pad vista tells me it can't
>> > recognize it and it shows up in the device manager as unknown device.
>> > This
>> > device does not come with drivers and does not need any it works fine
>> > when
>> > i
>> > plug it into a pc running Windows xp but it wont work on my Vista
>> > computer
>> > also i plugged in other usb devices in the same port and they work fine
>> > so
>> > i
>> > know it's not the port.

>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2007
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista wont recognize my USB device
Only the manufacturer can advise you on that. It is not a "driver" issue as
you have observed. During beta testing we had reports of many usb devices
not working with Vista (Maxtor One Touch drives of the period were mentioned
by a number of folks). MS advised us to contact the device manufacturers to
see if anything could be done. During the beta program MS also used the bug
reports to contact manufacturers themselves. What can be done may depend on
whether your device is still in production or at least supported. It also
might be worth a call to MS Product Support Services on the chance that a
hotfix is available on the Vista side. Such hotfixes are sometimes not
available on Windows Update.

"Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:19BD6AD6-412C-47A7-96A1-7AA2A0CB4F84@microsoft.com...
> So there is no chance of my device ever working on vista?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> The firmware in some usb devices are simply incompatible with Vista. I
>> have
>> one external usb drive enclosure that simply does not work with Vista.
>> It
>> works on every other box in the house that is running XP, but no Vista.
>> Vista is less tolerant than previous versions of Windows and some devices
>> that tested within specs for XP do not pass under Vista. Sorry.
>>
>> "Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news6587983-D119-435D-8DF7-E4E37930984C@microsoft.com...
>> > For some reason when i plug in my USB dance pad vista tells me it can't
>> > recognize it and it shows up in the device manager as unknown device.
>> > This
>> > device does not come with drivers and does not need any it works fine
>> > when
>> > i
>> > plug it into a pc running Windows xp but it wont work on my Vista
>> > computer
>> > also i plugged in other usb devices in the same port and they work fine
>> > so
>> > i
>> > know it's not the port.

>>

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2007
Dean
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista wont recognize my USB device
On their website it says the device is compatible with vista and there is
some kind of driver i installed it but it did not fix the problem at all.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2007
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista wont recognize my USB device
I'm afraid you need to ask them why yours isn't working under Vista.

"Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:350CDE6E-981D-42D9-8384-F0CF929C3E32@microsoft.com...
> On their website it says the device is compatible with vista and there is
> some kind of driver i installed it but it did not fix the problem at all.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2007
Dave T.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista wont recognize my USB device
Dean wrote:
> For some reason when i plug in my USB dance pad vista tells me it can't
> recognize it and it shows up in the device manager as unknown device. This
> device does not come with drivers and does not need any it works fine when i
> plug it into a pc running Windows xp but it wont work on my Vista computer
> also i plugged in other usb devices in the same port and they work fine so i
> know it's not the port.


I had a similar problem connecting an mp3 player to Vista. I fixed it
with this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199

Good luck. Hope it helps. If it does, please post back.

--
Dave T.

In the 60's, people took LSD to make the world weird. Now
the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2007
Dean
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista wont recognize my USB device
When i try to install the update it says "The update does not apply to your
system"

"Dave T." wrote:

> Dean wrote:
> > For some reason when i plug in my USB dance pad vista tells me it can't
> > recognize it and it shows up in the device manager as unknown device. This
> > device does not come with drivers and does not need any it works fine when i
> > plug it into a pc running Windows xp but it wont work on my Vista computer
> > also i plugged in other usb devices in the same port and they work fine so i
> > know it's not the port.

>
> I had a similar problem connecting an mp3 player to Vista. I fixed it
> with this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199
>
> Good luck. Hope it helps. If it does, please post back.
>
> --
> Dave T.
>
> In the 60's, people took LSD to make the world weird. Now
> the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2007
Dean
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista wont recognize my USB device
Hmm i think i know what it may be i tried to install vista sp1 but it did not
help i removed it but the two updates that you need to download sp1 from
windows update are still there and i can't remove them.

Update KB938371

Update KB937287

They don't give me the option to uninstall them in addremove program i'm
sure if i can get these updates off it will let me install the update you
linked me.

"Dean" wrote:

> When i try to install the update it says "The update does not apply to your
> system"
>
> "Dave T." wrote:
>
> > Dean wrote:
> > > For some reason when i plug in my USB dance pad vista tells me it can't
> > > recognize it and it shows up in the device manager as unknown device. This
> > > device does not come with drivers and does not need any it works fine when i
> > > plug it into a pc running Windows xp but it wont work on my Vista computer
> > > also i plugged in other usb devices in the same port and they work fine so i
> > > know it's not the port.

> >
> > I had a similar problem connecting an mp3 player to Vista. I fixed it
> > with this:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199
> >
> > Good luck. Hope it helps. If it does, please post back.
> >
> > --
> > Dave T.
> >
> > In the 60's, people took LSD to make the world weird. Now
> > the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
> >

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
windows vista wont recognize my integrated speakers mahmoha microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 5 11-27-2007 21:21
Article ID: 933442 A USB composite device does not work after you disable and then enable the device in Device Manager on a computer that is running Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Vista wont recognize my wireless network Hobbes microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 09-24-2007 01:18
After Hibernate Vista wont recognize LAN Fluffyjr2 microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 13 08-27-2007 09:41
Windows Vista can't recognize USB device rene_211@hotmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 11 08-16-2007 17:48




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:41.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120