HP scanjet 7400 scanner

Paul

HP scanjet 7400 scanner
Can not get my HP 7400 scanner to work after upgrading to Vista Ultimate 32
bit.

Not the hardware - works fine under XP pro using same hardware configuration

Did a clean install, installed motherboard BIOS updates, scanner BIOS
updates, Vista updates and the correct driver from HP. The scanner
installed and Device Manager says device is working properly.

When I try to scan, scanner initializes, starts to scan then locks up. Then
can no longer be seen.

ASUS M2N-E motherboard with AMD dual core.

Other than that Vista works OK with the rest of my system

Any ideas

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: HP scanjet 7400 scanner
"Paul" <carnsux@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can not get my HP 7400 scanner to work after upgrading to Vista Ultimate
> 32
> bit.
>
> Not the hardware - works fine under XP pro using same hardware
> configuration
>
> Did a clean install, installed motherboard BIOS updates, scanner BIOS
> updates, Vista updates and the correct driver from HP. The scanner
> installed and Device Manager says device is working properly.
>
> When I try to scan, scanner initializes, starts to scan then locks up.
> Then
> can no longer be seen.
>
> ASUS M2N-E motherboard with AMD dual core.
>
> Other than that Vista works OK with the rest of my system
>
> Any ideas

Go to this website..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=59553&lang=en

What HP are telling you is that your scanner is old and that they do not
want to support it any longer for use with any 64bit OS or Vista..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

PTravel

Re: HP scanjet 7400 scanner

"Paul" <carnsux@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can not get my HP 7400 scanner to work after upgrading to Vista Ultimate
> 32
> bit.
>
> Not the hardware - works fine under XP pro using same hardware
> configuration
>
> Did a clean install, installed motherboard BIOS updates, scanner BIOS
> updates, Vista updates and the correct driver from HP. The scanner
> installed and Device Manager says device is working properly.
>
> When I try to scan, scanner initializes, starts to scan then locks up.
> Then
> can no longer be seen.
>
> ASUS M2N-E motherboard with AMD dual core.
>
> Other than that Vista works OK with the rest of my system
>
> Any ideas

Yes. Get a copy of VueScan. I've been able to get all sorts of legacy HP
scanners working under Vista with VueScan, which provides substitute drivers
for hundreds of scanners. Though VueScan comes with its own scanning
software, I've been able to use my legacy HP scanners inside of a variety of
programs, including Acrobat, Photoshop and Word, and can even use HP's
utilities such as the ScanJet Copy Utility.

John

Re: HP scanjet 7400 scanner
Try uninstalling everything and then reboot. On the Properties settings for
the install.exe program, click the Compatibility tab and check the XP
compatibility box. Then try installing.