Vista Home Premium Won't Recognize My Old Hard Drives

srcstcbstrd

Vista Home Premium Won't Recognize My Old Hard Drives
I recently purchased a new system with Vista Home Premium 32bit OS. I have a
couple of hard drives (Maxtor) that I would like to recover some files from
but when plugged into the new computer, they just don't register. Can't see
anything when using IDE or have the hard drives on an adaptor for SATA. The
old drives do have XP Pro on them. Is there a clash between OS? How can I
read and recover the info I need? I have gone to the Microsoft site to make
sure I have all the updates. I have gone to Maxtor to download the up to date
installation software. Still nothing. I have checked the BIOS and the SATA
ports are initiated (and have talked to the manufacturer HP about the issue
and they can't see a problem). I have been able to recognize the old hard
drives when I still had the old computer (cleaned it up and gave it to my son
with a new hard drive installed). Would like to recover data and start using
the old drives as a back up system. Any suggestions or am I pooched?
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista Home Premium Won't Recognize My Old Hard Drives
"srcstcbstrd" <srcstcbstrd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a new system with Vista Home Premium 32bit OS. I have
> couple of hard drives (Maxtor) that I would like to recover some files
> from
> but when plugged into the new computer, they just don't register. Can't
> see
> anything when using IDE or have the hard drives on an adaptor for SATA.
> The
> old drives do have XP Pro on them. Is there a clash between OS? How can I
> read and recover the info I need? I have gone to the Microsoft site to
> make
> sure I have all the updates. I have gone to Maxtor to download the up to
> date
> installation software. Still nothing. I have checked the BIOS and the SATA
> ports are initiated (and have talked to the manufacturer HP about the
> issue
> and they can't see a problem). I have been able to recognize the old hard
> drives when I still had the old computer (cleaned it up and gave it to my
> son
> with a new hard drive installed). Would like to recover data and start
> using
> the old drives as a back up system. Any suggestions or am I pooched?

Ensure that the drive jumpers are set correctly. Go to this website for
Maxtor info

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

--
Mike Hall - MVP

srcstcbstrd

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> "srcstcbstrd" <srcstcbstrd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently purchased a new system with Vista Home Premium 32bit OS. I have
> > couple of hard drives (Maxtor) that I would like to recover some files
> > from
> > but when plugged into the new computer, they just don't register. Can't
> > see
> > anything when using IDE or have the hard drives on an adaptor for SATA.
> > The
> > old drives do have XP Pro on them. Is there a clash between OS? How can I
> > read and recover the info I need? I have gone to the Microsoft site to
> > make
> > sure I have all the updates. I have gone to Maxtor to download the up to
> > date
> > installation software. Still nothing. I have checked the BIOS and the SATA
> > ports are initiated (and have talked to the manufacturer HP about the
> > issue
> > and they can't see a problem). I have been able to recognize the old hard
> > drives when I still had the old computer (cleaned it up and gave it to my
> > son
> > with a new hard drive installed). Would like to recover data and start
> > using
> > the old drives as a back up system. Any suggestions or am I pooched?

> Ensure that the drive jumpers are set correctly. Go to this website for
> Maxtor info
>
> http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
>

> Thanks Mike,

Sorry, should have mentioned that the jumper is set to 'slave' on the 80g
drive and according to the 200g drive, it is a 'slave' with no jumpers.
Double and triple checked this before installing. Still no response from new
computer as far as recognizing either hd (doing one at a time and placing
them on the next in line SATA port - even tried removing the DVD drive from
SATA 1 and placing a hard drive there with no luck)
andy

Re: Vista Home Premium Won't Recognize My Old Hard Drives
Does the motherboard bios detect the drive?

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 06:33:01 -0800, srcstcbstrd