When can we expect FireWire compatibility for Vista?

grilledweasel

When can we expect FireWire compatibility for Vista?
I have used XP for years to process mini-dv hom movies for relatives and add
to our own video collection. I thought I was upgrading when I purchased a
new Dell Inspiron with Vista. This is a brand-new machine. It recognizes my
Western Digital outboard firewire drive just fine, but it will NOT recognize
either of my two firewire cameras. One is a Panasonic and one is a Canon.
The Panasonic also has a USB port for the built-in digital camera, which is
recognized, but the video is not.

We have spent the last two weeks contacting Dell, Panasonic, Canon, and
Microsoft in attempts to resolve this. I was expecting much more from Vista.

If anyone has any possible solution, please let me know.
Dustin Harper

Re: When can we expect FireWire compatibility for Vista?
I would be a driver issue for the camera. If the Firewire port works
with the other drive, it works as far as Vista is concerned. Microsoft
doesn't make drivers for other manufacturers products, nor should they
have to. I'd keep checking with Canon & Panasonic for updated drivers.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

grilledweasel wrote:
> I have used XP for years to process mini-dv hom movies for relatives and add
> to our own video collection. I thought I was upgrading when I purchased a
> new Dell Inspiron with Vista. This is a brand-new machine. It recognizes my
> Western Digital outboard firewire drive just fine, but it will NOT recognize
> either of my two firewire cameras. One is a Panasonic and one is a Canon.
> The Panasonic also has a USB port for the built-in digital camera, which is
> recognized, but the video is not.
>
> We have spent the last two weeks contacting Dell, Panasonic, Canon, and
> Microsoft in attempts to resolve this. I was expecting much more from Vista.
>
> If anyone has any possible solution, please let me know.

SimRacer

Re: When can we expect FireWire compatibility for Vista?
It shouldn't need a driver to detect a video camera, I'm using Vista Ultimate
X64 and it see's my JVC video camera as soon as it's plugged in using
firewire. Have you confirmed the firewire output on the camera's work? Try
connecting them to a different computer with firewire. The firewire output on
my JVC requires to be plugging into the computer and then to camera with the
camera powered off. I once connected the camera with it on and it fried the
firewire output on the camera. Required the mainboard in the camera to be
replaced, luckly it was still under warrenty. I found it was the camera that
was bad by connecting it to another computer and it wasn't seen on that
computer either while that computer owners camera was seen.