Windows vista cannot read SD card

Macha

Windows vista cannot read SD card
When I plug in the SD card, the device driver cannot be found, and the card
cannot be read. I tried to install the KB936825, but at the end of the
installation process it says "the update does not apply to your system". How
can I solve the problem of having a card-reader that cannot read my SD card?

Thank you,

Macha
R. C. White

Re: Windows vista cannot read SD card
Hi, Macha.

To clarify: is this when you plug the card into the reader? Or when you
plug the reader into the USB port?

I have very simple SanDisk card reader which reads only SD cards (not memory
sticks or CF or such). I leave it plugged in all the time and have used
Disk Management to set it to always be Drive S:. When I insert the card
into the reader, nothing happens because I've turned off AutoPlay for it.
But I can read the card's contents with Windows Explorer and do all the
usual things with those files. Mostly the cards are from my digital camera
and I just start Photoshop Elements and read the new photos from the card.
In Disk Management, I've right-clicked on the drive, then on Properties |
Policies and set it to Optimize for quick removal, so that I never have to
wait for the "safe to remove" message.

I do unplug the reader now and then. When I plug it into USB again - even
to a different USB port - it is seen as Drive S: again and things continue
as normal.

It might help us understand the problem if you tell us more about your
hardware.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Macha" <Macha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I plug in the SD card, the device driver cannot be found, and the
> card
> cannot be read. I tried to install the KB936825, but at the end of the
> installation process it says "the update does not apply to your system".
> How
> can I solve the problem of having a card-reader that cannot read my SD
> card?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Macha

Macha

Re: Windows vista cannot read SD card
Thank you very much! You are absolutely right! I can read the card, although
I don't have the right driver. Thank you and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Macha

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Macha.
>
> To clarify: is this when you plug the card into the reader? Or when you
> plug the reader into the USB port?
>
> I have very simple SanDisk card reader which reads only SD cards (not memory
> sticks or CF or such). I leave it plugged in all the time and have used
> Disk Management to set it to always be Drive S:. When I insert the card
> into the reader, nothing happens because I've turned off AutoPlay for it.
> But I can read the card's contents with Windows Explorer and do all the
> usual things with those files. Mostly the cards are from my digital camera
> and I just start Photoshop Elements and read the new photos from the card.
> In Disk Management, I've right-clicked on the drive, then on Properties |
> Policies and set it to Optimize for quick removal, so that I never have to
> wait for the "safe to remove" message.
>
> I do unplug the reader now and then. When I plug it into USB again - even
> to a different USB port - it is seen as Drive S: again and things continue
> as normal.
>
> It might help us understand the problem if you tell us more about your
> hardware.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "Macha" <Macha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I plug in the SD card, the device driver cannot be found, and the
> > card
> > cannot be read. I tried to install the KB936825, but at the end of the
> > installation process it says "the update does not apply to your system".
> > How
> > can I solve the problem of having a card-reader that cannot read my SD
> > card?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Macha

R. C. White

Re: Windows vista cannot read SD card
Hi, Macha.

You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback. And a MERRY CHRISTMAS to you,
too! ;<)

RC