Cannot Read D Drive

Joe

Cannot Read D Drive
Hi,

I used Vista for the 30 days trial period. Currently, I am operating with
the reduced functionality mode. I am trying to reformat my hard drive to
windows xp, however my d drive is unable to read any discs, including my
reinstallation disc. How can I enable my d drive to read discs so that I can
use my reinstallation disc to reformat my computer?

Thanks,
Joe

Rick Rogers

Re: Cannot Read D Drive
Hi,

You have to boot the system from the XP CD, not try to run it from reduced
functionality mode. You may need to change your BIOS boot order to achieve
this. Once setup starts, you will need to delete and recreate the system
partition, then format it before installing XP.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I used Vista for the 30 days trial period. Currently, I am operating with
> the reduced functionality mode. I am trying to reformat my hard drive to
> windows xp, however my d drive is unable to read any discs, including my
> reinstallation disc. How can I enable my d drive to read discs so that I
> can
> use my reinstallation disc to reformat my computer?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Joe

Re: Cannot Read D Drive
Thanks. But my problem is that I an unable to boot from the XP CD because my
D drive cannot detect a CD in the drive. I have tried putting the CD/DVD
drive at the top of the boot list, but it still skips over it because it
cannot detect any CD.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You have to boot the system from the XP CD, not try to run it from reduced
> functionality mode. You may need to change your BIOS boot order to achieve
> this. Once setup starts, you will need to delete and recreate the system
> partition, then format it before installing XP.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I used Vista for the 30 days trial period. Currently, I am operating with
> > the reduced functionality mode. I am trying to reformat my hard drive to
> > windows xp, however my d drive is unable to read any discs, including my
> > reinstallation disc. How can I enable my d drive to read discs so that I
> > can
> > use my reinstallation disc to reformat my computer?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Joe

Malke

Re: Cannot Read D Drive
Joe wrote:
> Thanks. But my problem is that I an unable to boot from the XP CD because my
> D drive cannot detect a CD in the drive. I have tried putting the CD/DVD
> drive at the top of the boot list, but it still skips over it because it
> cannot detect any CD.

You've got two separate threads going about this same issue in two
newsgroups. You've gotten answers in the other newsgroup. Please don't
multipost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting

For brevity's sake, the answer is to test by booting with a different
bootable CD and if the drive won't see it, replace the drive.

EOT for me although I'll monitor the other thread.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com