Vista fails to start after instalilng a sata drive

LJB

Vista fails to start after instalilng a sata drive
Hopeing someone can help me before things realy go dire!!!

Okay first things first computer spec.

Ausus Motherboard M2V

2 Gig Ram

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 5200

Nvidia Geforce 7900

Vista Home Premium

Currently have two ide har disks two dvd wirters (on the all the IDE
cables). No problem there.

Also using Netgear storage central system.

Okay heres the problem.

Last week had a error on the smart disk system saying that the primary disk
could fail ect ect.

so i ordered a new disk a SATA Western Digital 750 gig.

Installed into the computer no probelm , disk is recongnised on bios no
problem , enabled as sata (not raid) in the bios.

Now when i go to load vist after about 45 seconds the progress bar stops
blue screen flashes and back to start of load in again.

I have tried the recovery options via the load disk, (repair ect), to no
evail, says bad disk.

If i go back into bios and disable the sata drive all works as it should?????

My bios is the latest .

Any answers of why vista does not like the sata drive and how i can get it
to load, evenutally i want to copy disk the primary onto the new sata drive.

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista fails to start after instalilng a sata drive
Hi,

You may need to load a sata driver, check Asus' site for a Vista compatible
one for the sata controller on that motherboard. Copy it to a thumb drive
and load it at the drive selection screen.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"LJB" <LJB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hopeing someone can help me before things realy go dire!!!
>
> Okay first things first computer spec.
>
> Ausus Motherboard M2V
>
> 2 Gig Ram
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 5200
>
> Nvidia Geforce 7900
>
> Vista Home Premium
>

> Currently have two ide har disks two dvd wirters (on the all the IDE
> cables). No problem there.
>
> Also using Netgear storage central system.
>

> Okay heres the problem.
>

> Last week had a error on the smart disk system saying that the primary
> disk
> could fail ect ect.
>
> so i ordered a new disk a SATA Western Digital 750 gig.
>
> Installed into the computer no probelm , disk is recongnised on bios no
> problem , enabled as sata (not raid) in the bios.
>
> Now when i go to load vist after about 45 seconds the progress bar stops
> blue screen flashes and back to start of load in again.
>
> I have tried the recovery options via the load disk, (repair ect), to no
> evail, says bad disk.
>
> If i go back into bios and disable the sata drive all works as it
> should?????
>
> My bios is the latest .
>

> Any answers of why vista does not like the sata drive and how i can get it
> to load, evenutally i want to copy disk the primary onto the new sata
> drive.

Patrick

Re: Vista fails to start after instalilng a sata drive
also check to make sure that the bios is booting to the ide drive not sata
but I would think that would show no operating system but worth a shot

--
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz