At wits end, Cannot install USB card reader,video cam or digital c

tdamocles

At wits end, Cannot install USB card reader,video cam or digital c
Been searching this forum and have seen the same problem over and
over...I've tried the deleting of the infcache, and tried replacing usbstor
files without repair. I've tried installing a Sony dvd camcorder, a
smartmedia reader and brand spanking new Kodak digital still camera without
Vista Home finding any of the drivers. Vista shows the name of the device
but in the end it says that it can't find the driver or in the Kodak's case
the .inf file is made for window 95 and can't install. Please help!
tdamocles

RE: At wits end, Cannot install USB card reader,video cam or digital c

It actually says that it has found the driver and than underneath, on the
same screen, it says that it can not find the specified files and the driver
is not loaded.
tdamocles

RE: At wits end, Cannot install USB card reader,video cam or digital c

I have 4 devices that aren't being recognized!!!!!! Help!!!!!!
Steve Wade

RE: At wits end, Cannot install USB card reader,video cam or digit
If you ever get a response please let me know. I am experiencing the same
problem with two devices from two different manufacturers. They are trying
but Microsoft doesn't seem to want to participate in providing a solution.

Good luck!

"Steve Wade" wrote:

> If you ever get a response please let me know. I am experiencing the same
> problem with two devices from two different manufacturers. They are trying
> but Microsoft doesn't seem to want to participate in providing a solution.
>
> Good luck!

Try this web page
http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/....id=3755#M3755

Listen to what LanX and GTH say. This method has work for 3 out of 4. I'm
working on the 4th. If it still Vista still wants to reject your effort
after this than try manually uninstalling in device manager and than try
update driver - direct it to c:windows/system32 and check subfolders. If
that fails than try to select 'from a list of devices' after 'update driver'
selection. Hope this helps...I'm getting closer...
Steve Wade

RE: At wits end, Cannot install USB card reader,video cam or digit
Thanks. This actually sounds promising!

"tdamocles" wrote:

> "Steve Wade" wrote:
>
> > If you ever get a response please let me know. I am experiencing the same
> > problem with two devices from two different manufacturers. They are trying
> > but Microsoft doesn't seem to want to participate in providing a solution.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >

> Try this web page
> http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/....id=3755#M3755
>
> Listen to what LanX and GTH say. This method has work for 3 out of 4. I'm
> working on the 4th. If it still Vista still wants to reject your effort
> after this than try manually uninstalling in device manager and than try
> update driver - direct it to c:windows/system32 and check subfolders. If
> that fails than try to select 'from a list of devices' after 'update driver'
> selection. Hope this helps...I'm getting closer...

Steve Wade

RE: At wits end, Cannot install USB card reader,video cam or digit
I have a pre-installed version of Vista. ANy idea how to accomplish this
without a DVD?

"Steve Wade" wrote:

> I have a pre-installed version of Vista. ANy idea how to accomplish this
> without a DVD?
>
> "tdamocles" wrote:
>

> > "Steve Wade" wrote:
> >
> > > If you ever get a response please let me know. I am experiencing the same
> > > problem with two devices from two different manufacturers. They are trying
> > > but Microsoft doesn't seem to want to participate in providing a solution.
> > >
> > > Good luck!

You don't need the DVD....Download the program that GTH found. You must go
in user accounts(in the control panel) and turn off user account control-
then reboot.. Then run the app that GTH found. Go into drive C: and find
the windows folder. Inside is the INF folder. Right mouse click on it(INF
folder) and select 'own.' This will allow you to delete the files inside.
After this, delete all the files that lanX has stated. Reboot. Then try to
reinstall your USB devices. In the end, don't forget to go back into user
accounts in the control panel and turn usser account control back on.
Steve Wade

RE: At wits end, Cannot install USB card reader,video cam or digit
Must have a bigger problem than I thought. Attempted to download the OWN
program. When it attempts to install I get the message

"System cannot find the file specified"

Will keeptrying

"tdamocles" wrote:

> "Steve Wade" wrote:
>
> > I have a pre-installed version of Vista. ANy idea how to accomplish this
> > without a DVD?

> You don't need the DVD....Download the program that GTH found. You must go
> in user accounts(in the control panel) and turn off user account control-
> then reboot.. Then run the app that GTH found. Go into drive C: and find
> the windows folder. Inside is the INF folder. Right mouse click on it(INF
> folder) and select 'own.' This will allow you to delete the files inside.
> After this, delete all the files that lanX has stated. Reboot. Then try to
> reinstall your USB devices. In the end, don't forget to go back into user
> accounts in the control panel and turn usser account control back on.

Steve Wade

RE: At wits end, Cannot install USB card reader,video cam or digit
Thanks again for all of your help. I managed to work through the process. I
no longer get the Vista error messages telling me the files cannot be found.
Unfortunately the drives still don't get recognized by Vista. I guess I have
to chalk this up to the Canon and Lexmark drivers being incompatible
(regardless of what they tell me).