Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Certified for Windows Vista my a..

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007
Bionk
 

Posts: n/a
Certified for Windows Vista my a..
Hi there,

I came home from the store today having bought a USB network adapter from
Linksys (WUSB300N).
I had specificly looked for the "Certified for Windows Vista" to ensure that
I wouldn't find myself... writing here at least.

Now. The installation of the product worked fine and I found the network to
be ok to begin with. The fact was that it wasn't and after a while it shut
down completely.
I could reach the network if I kept reconnecting.
Now I went for Linksys homepage and their online support.
The techie at Linksys was incredible sorry for the inconvenience but there
are no drivers for Windows Vista _64-bit_!

My question is.
How come Linksys/Cisco can print your "Certified for Windows Vista" and your
logo on a product that doesn't provide drivers for the operating system?
(Live update doesn't find any new drivers either)

"... That's because only Certified for Windows Vista software and devices
have undergone Microsoft compatibility tests for ease-of-use, better
performance and enhanced security"

Is that really what's going on or are you trying to sell Vista compability
on a sticker?

--
//Bionk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Certified for Windows Vista my a..
uninstall whatever software you installed from Linksys. go into
device manager and delete the USB NIC. right click, and make sure to
let it remove drivers. shut down the machine.

turn it back on with the USB adapter attached and with a WIRED
connection to the Internet. Use Windows Update to search for a
driver if it does not get pulled down automatically.

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:34:00 -0800, Bionk
<Bionk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I came home from the store today having bought a USB network adapter from
>Linksys (WUSB300N).
>I had specificly looked for the "Certified for Windows Vista" to ensure that
>I wouldn't find myself... writing here at least.
>
>Now. The installation of the product worked fine and I found the network to
>be ok to begin with. The fact was that it wasn't and after a while it shut
>down completely.
>I could reach the network if I kept reconnecting.
>Now I went for Linksys homepage and their online support.
>The techie at Linksys was incredible sorry for the inconvenience but there
>are no drivers for Windows Vista _64-bit_!
>
>My question is.
>How come Linksys/Cisco can print your "Certified for Windows Vista" and your
>logo on a product that doesn't provide drivers for the operating system?
>(Live update doesn't find any new drivers either)
>
>"... That's because only Certified for Windows Vista software and devices
>have undergone Microsoft compatibility tests for ease-of-use, better
>performance and enhanced security"
>
>Is that really what's going on or are you trying to sell Vista compability
>on a sticker?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007
Nigel s
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Certified for Windows Vista my a..
Welcome to the world of Vista x64, its incredable that so many vendors claim
to be Vista compatable, it should say Vista x86 compatable.

I have an Epson scanner, a mobile phone and various software apps all
proporting to be Vista compatable, and yes, they are, for Vista x86.

Most of the x64 drivers that I am using now have only appeared in the last 6
months, I bought a Vista certified motherboard with a specific x64 AM2
processor socket, it came without x64 drivers and the bios had to be flashed
to accept 64 bit processors. The vendors are just not interested in spending
time and money supporting x64 and won't until they have to, give it another
4-5 years or until the next new range/generation of their products come out.

I have been running Vista x64 since beta 2 and have learnt to live with the
argro, thankfully I have more than one machine, so any serious work can be
done on XP.

The release of Vista was a license to print money for most vendors so there
was no incentive to support existing technology let alone future strains of
it.

Oh, XP x64 is no better, still very quirky.

"Bionk" <Bionk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6A6FF569-7E83-421F-971D-2A627CA33935@microsoft.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I came home from the store today having bought a USB network adapter from
> Linksys (WUSB300N).
> I had specificly looked for the "Certified for Windows Vista" to ensure
> that
> I wouldn't find myself... writing here at least.
>
> Now. The installation of the product worked fine and I found the network
> to
> be ok to begin with. The fact was that it wasn't and after a while it shut
> down completely.
> I could reach the network if I kept reconnecting.
> Now I went for Linksys homepage and their online support.
> The techie at Linksys was incredible sorry for the inconvenience but there
> are no drivers for Windows Vista _64-bit_!
>
> My question is.
> How come Linksys/Cisco can print your "Certified for Windows Vista" and
> your
> logo on a product that doesn't provide drivers for the operating system?
> (Live update doesn't find any new drivers either)
>
> "... That's because only Certified for Windows Vista software and devices
> have undergone Microsoft compatibility tests for ease-of-use, better
> performance and enhanced security"
>
> Is that really what's going on or are you trying to sell Vista compability
> on a sticker?
>
> --
> //Bionk


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2007
Bionk
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Certified for Windows Vista my a..

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> uninstall whatever software you installed from Linksys. go into...

There are no drivers from Linksys. Vista provides one when you attach the
network apdapter.

>Use Windows Update to search for a
> driver if it does not get pulled down automatically.

No updated driver available.
Even if this way of installing the harware would make it work it's far from
the nice statements what a certified product should be, accourding to MS.

The product is now returned. The vendor manager was upset. One of his
collegues knew about the problem as well.

I can live with the lack of support for some hardware. I run different
operating systems/applications/hardware and I always need to ensure myself of
compatibility when buying new hardware.

However, Microsoft certifies certain hardware to be compatible with their OS
and brags about them testing these products to let users now that this is
what you should get.
MS should revoke the ceritficate until the product functions as intended.
This product has been out in stores for some time.

And please don't turn this into a "Vista is crap"-thread because it isn't.
I have good hardware and therefore great performance.
I don't ever want to install XP again.

//Owner of a D-Link DWA-140

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2007
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Certified for Windows Vista my a..
first,
http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...apter&oid=3029

indicated that the driver was on WU.

second, since you returned it, no further trouble shooting is
possible.

glad you found a better/different NIC

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 04:34:00 -0800, Bionk
<Bionk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:


>No updated driver available.
>Even if this way of installing the harware would make it work it's far from
>the nice statements what a certified product should be, accourding to MS.
>
>The product is now returned. The vendor manager was upset. One of his
>collegues knew about the problem as well.
>
>I can live with the lack of support for some hardware. I run different
>operating systems/applications/hardware and I always need to ensure myself of
>compatibility when buying new hardware.
>
>However, Microsoft certifies certain hardware to be compatible with their OS
>and brags about them testing these products to let users now that this is
>what you should get.
>MS should revoke the ceritficate until the product functions as intended.
>This product has been out in stores for some time.
>
>And please don't turn this into a "Vista is crap"-thread because it isn't.
>I have good hardware and therefore great performance.
>I don't ever want to install XP again.
>
>//Owner of a D-Link DWA-140

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Certified for Windows Vista Software BlogFeed Windows Vista Blogs Forum 0 08-20-2007 18:20
Hands-on with Certified for Windows Vista Devices Paul Windows Vista Team Blog 0 07-28-2007 01:32
The Certified for Windows Vista coach Steve Windows Vista Blogs Forum 0 05-17-2007 10:57
Certified for Windows Vista Logo =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 04-11-2007 00:40
Certified for Windows Vista Devices and Software Paul Windows Vista Team Blog 0 03-01-2007 02:28




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:23.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120