DVD drive will not read CDs - Vista

PatiB

DVD drive will not read CDs - Vista
I see several related posts to my issue and have tried several t-shooting
steps with no luck, including the registry modificiation described in KB
article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

Here's my problem - The DVD drive can read DVDs with no problem but will not
recognize any kind of CD (audio CDs, formatted CDs with data, unformatted
CDs). When I put a CD in the drive it appears to try to access the CD but
just spins around for a bit and then ejects.

I have a Dell XPS 200 that came with a Sony DVD +-RW DW-Q58A ATA Device. The
system came preinstalled with Windows XP and I upgraded to the retail version
of Vista Home Premium. The driver installed has these attributes:
Driver provider: Microsoft
Driver date: 6/21/2006
Driver version: 6.0.6000.16386

Here's what I get after attempting to update the driver:
"The best driver sofware for your device is already installed. Windows has
determined the driver software for your system is up to date.
installed."

Any suggestions?
--
PatiB
Cal Bear '66

Re: DVD drive will not read CDs - Vista
Appears that the CD laser (separate from the DVD laser) is faulty. You need a
need a new drive.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"PatiB" <PatiB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I see several related posts to my issue and have tried several t-shooting
> steps with no luck, including the registry modificiation described in KB
> article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us
>
> Here's my problem - The DVD drive can read DVDs with no problem but will not
> recognize any kind of CD (audio CDs, formatted CDs with data, unformatted
> CDs). When I put a CD in the drive it appears to try to access the CD but
> just spins around for a bit and then ejects.
>
> I have a Dell XPS 200 that came with a Sony DVD +-RW DW-Q58A ATA Device. The
> system came preinstalled with Windows XP and I upgraded to the retail version
> of Vista Home Premium. The driver installed has these attributes:
> Driver provider: Microsoft
> Driver date: 6/21/2006
> Driver version: 6.0.6000.16386
>
> Here's what I get after attempting to update the driver:
> "The best driver sofware for your device is already installed. Windows has
> determined the driver software for your system is up to date.
> installed."
>
> Any suggestions?
> --
> PatiB

Dave C

RE: DVD drive will not read CDs - Vista
I have the same problem. I have a Dell Vostro 1700 Laptop running Vista
Business (installed by DELL) that will not read any DVD's or CD's. The
drivers are also correct and I checked the registry keys listed in the MS
article below. The upper and lower filters where not there. I have tried
using a different internal optical drive and an external USB DVD Drive with
the same results. After testing with multiple optical drives and multiple
disks, Windows states that the media is in an unrecognized format. In Device
Manager, media comes up as RAW format. The problem does not appear to be
related to CDFS format itself. From the Vista system, I can access a remote
CD-ROM drive that is shared off of a different computer. However, when I try
to access the shared CD-ROM on the Vista machine from another computer, I get
a message stating that the disk is not formatted or the contents are corrupt.
After testing many different optical drives on this system, it does not
appear to be hardware related or a driver issue. Any assistance would be
appreciated.
Dave C