Cannot install new graphics card

etoel

Cannot install new graphics card
Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe MB
AMD X2 5000+ CPU
Corsair XMS2 6400 C4 2x1GB RAM
Antivirus: AVG 7.5

I had Asus EN8500GT as my graphics card for some time, but it was only 256MB
RAM and I wanted a little more power and 512MB ram for HD movies so I got a
Asus EN8600GT instead.
I uninstall the drivers, shut down my computer, remove the card, install the
new and start up again.

The screen goes into VGA mode (of course) and the new hardware wizard starts
and tells me that it's installing a driver for a display adapter (VGA
compatible).
The wizard says it's searching through the folder with preconfigured
drivers, but this takes a very long time (10 mins). In the mean time windows
update reports a new update - and that is the driver (so someone has
detected the correct card). The wizard ends with giving me the 3 choices:
Try again, ask me next time, or never ask again.

If I answer "ask me next time" I can launch the nvidia driver setup, but
this only gets half way through installing the drivers and then it sits for
10 minutes before reporting a failure.
If I run windows update the same thing happens - it takes 10 minutes and it
reports a failure (with a number that I have deciphered to mean timeout).

I expected a faulty graphics card of course, but continued to test with a
different card (a EN8500GT 512MB that I have on a different media center -
so almost the exact same card). The same thing happens

I had no trouble detecting the card or installing drivers when I installed
Vista.

Driving me nuts

Any help is appreciated..
thanks

philo

Re: Cannot install new graphics card

"etoel" <etoel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium 32 bit
> Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe MB
> AMD X2 5000+ CPU
> Corsair XMS2 6400 C4 2x1GB RAM
> Antivirus: AVG 7.5
>

> I had Asus EN8500GT as my graphics card for some time, but it was only

256MB
> RAM and I wanted a little more power and 512MB ram for HD movies so I got

> Asus EN8600GT instead.
> I uninstall the drivers, shut down my computer, remove the card, install

the
> new and start up again.
>
> The screen goes into VGA mode (of course) and the new hardware wizard

starts
> and tells me that it's installing a driver for a display adapter (VGA
> compatible).
> The wizard says it's searching through the folder with preconfigured
> drivers, but this takes a very long time (10 mins). In the mean time

windows
> update reports a new update - and that is the driver (so someone has
> detected the correct card). The wizard ends with giving me the 3 choices:
> Try again, ask me next time, or never ask again.
>
> If I answer "ask me next time" I can launch the nvidia driver setup, but
> this only gets half way through installing the drivers and then it sits

for
> 10 minutes before reporting a failure.
> If I run windows update the same thing happens - it takes 10 minutes and

it
> reports a failure (with a number that I have deciphered to mean timeout).
>
> I expected a faulty graphics card of course, but continued to test with a
> different card (a EN8500GT 512MB that I have on a different media center -
> so almost the exact same card). The same thing happens

Do NOT use windows update or the Windows "wizard"

Cancel anything to do with Windows update...
and when the wizard comes up opt for "never again"

Now you should be able to run the Nvidia setup program
(assuming you have one that's written for Vista)

Cal Bear '66

Re: Cannot install new graphics card
Try installing in Safe Mode.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"etoel" <etoel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium 32 bit
> Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe MB
> AMD X2 5000+ CPU
> Corsair XMS2 6400 C4 2x1GB RAM
> Antivirus: AVG 7.5
>

> I had Asus EN8500GT as my graphics card for some time, but it was only 256MB
> RAM and I wanted a little more power and 512MB ram for HD movies so I got a
> Asus EN8600GT instead.
> I uninstall the drivers, shut down my computer, remove the card, install the
> new and start up again.
>
> The screen goes into VGA mode (of course) and the new hardware wizard starts
> and tells me that it's installing a driver for a display adapter (VGA
> compatible).
> The wizard says it's searching through the folder with preconfigured drivers,
> but this takes a very long time (10 mins). In the mean time windows update
> reports a new update - and that is the driver (so someone has detected the
> correct card). The wizard ends with giving me the 3 choices: Try again, ask me
> next time, or never ask again.
>
> If I answer "ask me next time" I can launch the nvidia driver setup, but this
> only gets half way through installing the drivers and then it sits for 10
> minutes before reporting a failure.
> If I run windows update the same thing happens - it takes 10 minutes and it
> reports a failure (with a number that I have deciphered to mean timeout).
>
> I expected a faulty graphics card of course, but continued to test with a
> different card (a EN8500GT 512MB that I have on a different media center - so
> almost the exact same card). The same thing happens
>

> I had no trouble detecting the card or installing drivers when I installed
> Vista.
>
> Driving me nuts
>
> Any help is appreciated..
> thanks

etoel

Re: Cannot install new graphics card
I did try that and it worked, but the TV performance I got afterwards was
terrible (I'm using the Purevideo codec).
Either the latest nvidia driver (169.25) is bugged or it's incompatible with
purevideo (and that would be weird indeed).
I tried to just upgrade my driver with the same card and that gave the same
result so I guess there is something weird going on in my system

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
B5B24666-3AFF-4BC1-8B10-E609147A1DE9@microsoft.com ...
> Try installing in Safe Mode.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "etoel" <etoel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Vista Home Premium 32 bit
>> Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe MB
>> AMD X2 5000+ CPU
>> Corsair XMS2 6400 C4 2x1GB RAM
>> Antivirus: AVG 7.5
>>

>> I had Asus EN8500GT as my graphics card for some time, but it was only
>> 256MB RAM and I wanted a little more power and 512MB ram for HD movies so
>> I got a Asus EN8600GT instead.
>> I uninstall the drivers, shut down my computer, remove the card, install
>> the new and start up again.
>>
>> The screen goes into VGA mode (of course) and the new hardware wizard
>> starts and tells me that it's installing a driver for a display adapter
>> (VGA compatible).
>> The wizard says it's searching through the folder with preconfigured
>> drivers, but this takes a very long time (10 mins). In the mean time
>> windows update reports a new update - and that is the driver (so someone
>> has detected the correct card). The wizard ends with giving me the 3
>> choices: Try again, ask me next time, or never ask again.
>>
>> If I answer "ask me next time" I can launch the nvidia driver setup, but
>> this only gets half way through installing the drivers and then it sits
>> for 10 minutes before reporting a failure.
>> If I run windows update the same thing happens - it takes 10 minutes and
>> it reports a failure (with a number that I have deciphered to mean
>> timeout).
>>
>> I expected a faulty graphics card of course, but continued to test with a
>> different card (a EN8500GT 512MB that I have on a different media
>> center - so almost the exact same card). The same thing happens
>>

>> I had no trouble detecting the card or installing drivers when I
>> installed Vista.
>>
>> Driving me nuts
>>
>> Any help is appreciated..
>> thanks

JW

Re: Cannot install new graphics card
Nvidia does not recommend installing the XP Purevideo Decoder on Vista since
it is not designed to run on Vista. Some user's have installed it but most
that have have found that it does not do any better then the default MS
provided MPEG2 default decoder which is included in Vista HP and Ultimate
which AFAIK does not invoke any of the PureVideo functionality which is why
it do provides poor PQ.
>I did try that and it worked, but the TV performance I got afterwards was
>terrible (I'm using the Purevideo codec).
> Either the latest nvidia driver (169.25) is bugged or it's incompatible
> with purevideo (and that would be weird indeed).
> I tried to just upgrade my driver with the same card and that gave the
> same result so I guess there is something weird going on in my system
>

> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
> B5B24666-3AFF-4BC1-8B10-E609147A1DE9@microsoft.com ...
>> Try installing in Safe Mode.
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "etoel" <etoel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Vista Home Premium 32 bit
>>> Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe MB
>>> AMD X2 5000+ CPU
>>> Corsair XMS2 6400 C4 2x1GB RAM
>>> Antivirus: AVG 7.5
>>>

>>> I had Asus EN8500GT as my graphics card for some time, but it was only
>>> 256MB RAM and I wanted a little more power and 512MB ram for HD movies
>>> so I got a Asus EN8600GT instead.
>>> I uninstall the drivers, shut down my computer, remove the card, install
>>> the new and start up again.
>>>
>>> The screen goes into VGA mode (of course) and the new hardware wizard
>>> starts and tells me that it's installing a driver for a display adapter
>>> (VGA compatible).
>>> The wizard says it's searching through the folder with preconfigured
>>> drivers, but this takes a very long time (10 mins). In the mean time
>>> windows update reports a new update - and that is the driver (so someone
>>> has detected the correct card). The wizard ends with giving me the 3
>>> choices: Try again, ask me next time, or never ask again.
>>>
>>> If I answer "ask me next time" I can launch the nvidia driver setup, but
>>> this only gets half way through installing the drivers and then it sits
>>> for 10 minutes before reporting a failure.
>>> If I run windows update the same thing happens - it takes 10 minutes and
>>> it reports a failure (with a number that I have deciphered to mean
>>> timeout).
>>>
>>> I expected a faulty graphics card of course, but continued to test with
>>> a different card (a EN8500GT 512MB that I have on a different media
>>> center - so almost the exact same card). The same thing happens
>>>

>>> I had no trouble detecting the card or installing drivers when I
>>> installed Vista.
>>>
>>> Driving me nuts
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated..
>>> thanks

Cal Bear '66

Re: Cannot install new graphics card
The nVidia site says that the PureVideo codec does not work under Vista.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"etoel" <etoel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I did try that and it worked, but the TV performance I got afterwards was
>terrible (I'm using the Purevideo codec).
> Either the latest nvidia driver (169.25) is bugged or it's incompatible with
> purevideo (and that would be weird indeed).
> I tried to just upgrade my driver with the same card and that gave the same
> result so I guess there is something weird going on in my system
>

> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
> B5B24666-3AFF-4BC1-8B10-E609147A1DE9@microsoft.com ...
>> Try installing in Safe Mode.
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "etoel" <etoel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Vista Home Premium 32 bit
>>> Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe MB
>>> AMD X2 5000+ CPU
>>> Corsair XMS2 6400 C4 2x1GB RAM
>>> Antivirus: AVG 7.5
>>>

>>> I had Asus EN8500GT as my graphics card for some time, but it was only 256MB
>>> RAM and I wanted a little more power and 512MB ram for HD movies so I got a
>>> Asus EN8600GT instead.
>>> I uninstall the drivers, shut down my computer, remove the card, install the
>>> new and start up again.
>>>
>>> The screen goes into VGA mode (of course) and the new hardware wizard starts
>>> and tells me that it's installing a driver for a display adapter (VGA
>>> compatible).
>>> The wizard says it's searching through the folder with preconfigured
>>> drivers, but this takes a very long time (10 mins). In the mean time windows
>>> update reports a new update - and that is the driver (so someone has
>>> detected the correct card). The wizard ends with giving me the 3 choices:
>>> Try again, ask me next time, or never ask again.
>>>
>>> If I answer "ask me next time" I can launch the nvidia driver setup, but
>>> this only gets half way through installing the drivers and then it sits for
>>> 10 minutes before reporting a failure.
>>> If I run windows update the same thing happens - it takes 10 minutes and it
>>> reports a failure (with a number that I have deciphered to mean timeout).
>>>
>>> I expected a faulty graphics card of course, but continued to test with a
>>> different card (a EN8500GT 512MB that I have on a different media center -
>>> so almost the exact same card). The same thing happens
>>>

>>> I had no trouble detecting the card or installing drivers when I installed
>>> Vista.
>>>
>>> Driving me nuts
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated..
>>> thanks

etoel

Re: Cannot install new graphics card
I didn't know that
I have been using it for a while on Vista on the 163 range drivers and had
excellent results, I even got a utility to set the codec to use in the media
center and get the little nvidia icon in the taskbar so I'm pretty sure that
it's working...
But maybe they added something in 169.25 that broke it

Thanks for the help guys - I learned something new today as well

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
D7DE60A4-D32B-4C5B-8F19-B82D9EFB09F8@microsoft.com ...
> The nVidia site says that the PureVideo codec does not work under Vista.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "etoel" <etoel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I did try that and it worked, but the TV performance I got afterwards was
>>terrible (I'm using the Purevideo codec).
>> Either the latest nvidia driver (169.25) is bugged or it's incompatible
>> with purevideo (and that would be weird indeed).
>> I tried to just upgrade my driver with the same card and that gave the
>> same result so I guess there is something weird going on in my system
>>

>> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
>> B5B24666-3AFF-4BC1-8B10-E609147A1DE9@microsoft.com ...
>>> Try installing in Safe Mode.
>>>

>>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>>> GO BEARS!

JW

Re: Cannot install new graphics card
It is not hard to get the NVIDIA XP decoder to work in Vista as etole
stated, however, it does not work well and I like many other users switched
back to the MS MPEG2 decoder which is the MC default in Vista.