4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.

andy6432668

4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.

I got a dell inspiron 531 came with 2 gigs of memory running vista 64
bit. I installed 2 gigs total of 4 gigs got b.s.o.d. upon startup so I
startup in safe mode there it shows 4 gigs tried again to boot in normal
desktop same bsod. I removed 1 stick leaving 3 gigs now boots and runs
fine what's up with vista and 4 gigs of ram ?

--
andy6432668
JW

Re: 4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.
See the following KB article for assistance:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

"andy6432668" <andy6432668.31yjz2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I got a dell inspiron 531 came with 2 gigs of memory running vista 64
> bit. I installed 2 gigs total of 4 gigs got b.s.o.d. upon startup so I
> startup in safe mode there it shows 4 gigs tried again to boot in normal
> desktop same bsod. I removed 1 stick leaving 3 gigs now boots and runs
> fine what's up with vista and 4 gigs of ram ?
>

> --
> andy6432668

SimRacer

RE: 4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.
If it only gives you the blue screen with 4 in and works fine with 3 in then
its most likely bad ram. You can download a Memtest and burn that to disk and
run the program. Its a DOS based program so your system needs to be set to
boot from cd as first boot device. Test the memory one at a time to find out
if any of it is bad.

http://www.memtest.org/

Thats the link to memtest, its free and a much better testing program then
Microsofts memory tester. Run the test and let it repeat at least a couple of
times.

"andy6432668" wrote:

> I got a dell inspiron 531 came with 2 gigs of memory running vista 64
> bit. I installed 2 gigs total of 4 gigs got b.s.o.d. upon startup so I
> startup in safe mode there it shows 4 gigs tried again to boot in normal
> desktop same bsod. I removed 1 stick leaving 3 gigs now boots and runs
> fine what's up with vista and 4 gigs of ram ?
>

> --
> andy6432668

Colin Barnhorst

Re: 4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.
I don't think it is bad ram. More likely it is the often reported problem
of a BSOD when all four memory slots have 1GB dimms. It is a known issue
with nVidia chipsets on some boards and there is a patch. It can also be
due to memory voltage settings. The stock settings in the BIOS can
sometimes be reduced slightly to resolve the issue. He should check the
forums on the mobo manufacturer's website to get some tips.

"SimRacer" <SimRacer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If it only gives you the blue screen with 4 in and works fine with 3 in
> then
> its most likely bad ram. You can download a Memtest and burn that to disk
> and
> run the program. Its a DOS based program so your system needs to be set to
> boot from cd as first boot device. Test the memory one at a time to find
> out
> if any of it is bad.
>
> http://www.memtest.org/
>
> Thats the link to memtest, its free and a much better testing program then
> Microsofts memory tester. Run the test and let it repeat at least a couple
> of
> times.
>
> "andy6432668" wrote:
>

>> I got a dell inspiron 531 came with 2 gigs of memory running vista 64
>> bit. I installed 2 gigs total of 4 gigs got b.s.o.d. upon startup so I
>> startup in safe mode there it shows 4 gigs tried again to boot in normal
>> desktop same bsod. I removed 1 stick leaving 3 gigs now boots and runs
>> fine what's up with vista and 4 gigs of ram ?
>>

>> --
>> andy6432668

Drew

Re: 4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.
Nice to see Colin back !!

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>I don't think it is bad ram. More likely it is the often reported problem
>of a BSOD when all four memory slots have 1GB dimms. It is a known issue
>with nVidia chipsets on some boards and there is a patch. It can also be
>due to memory voltage settings. The stock settings in the BIOS can
>sometimes be reduced slightly to resolve the issue. He should check the
>forums on the mobo manufacturer's website to get some tips.
>
> "SimRacer" <SimRacer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> If it only gives you the blue screen with 4 in and works fine with 3 in
>> then
>> its most likely bad ram. You can download a Memtest and burn that to disk
>> and
>> run the program. Its a DOS based program so your system needs to be set
>> boot from cd as first boot device. Test the memory one at a time to find
>> out
>> if any of it is bad.
>>
>> http://www.memtest.org/
>>
>> Thats the link to memtest, its free and a much better testing program
>> then
>> Microsofts memory tester. Run the test and let it repeat at least a
>> couple of
>> times.
>>
>> "andy6432668" wrote:
>>

>>> I got a dell inspiron 531 came with 2 gigs of memory running vista 64
>>> bit. I installed 2 gigs total of 4 gigs got b.s.o.d. upon startup so I
>>> startup in safe mode there it shows 4 gigs tried again to boot in normal
>>> desktop same bsod. I removed 1 stick leaving 3 gigs now boots and runs
>>> fine what's up with vista and 4 gigs of ram ?
>>>

>>> --
>>> andy6432668

Colin Barnhorst

Re: 4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.
Just the hardware ng. I have no interest in the trolls in the general ng.
Also, I had some health issues.

"Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Nice to see Colin back !!
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I don't think it is bad ram. More likely it is the often reported problem
>>of a BSOD when all four memory slots have 1GB dimms. It is a known issue
>>with nVidia chipsets on some boards and there is a patch. It can also be
>>due to memory voltage settings. The stock settings in the BIOS can
>>sometimes be reduced slightly to resolve the issue. He should check the
>>forums on the mobo manufacturer's website to get some tips.
>>
>> "SimRacer" <SimRacer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> If it only gives you the blue screen with 4 in and works fine with 3 in
>>> then
>>> its most likely bad ram. You can download a Memtest and burn that to
>>> disk and
>>> run the program. Its a DOS based program so your system needs to be set
>>> boot from cd as first boot device. Test the memory one at a time to find
>>> out
>>> if any of it is bad.
>>>
>>> http://www.memtest.org/
>>>
>>> Thats the link to memtest, its free and a much better testing program
>>> then
>>> Microsofts memory tester. Run the test and let it repeat at least a
>>> couple of
>>> times.

Drew

Re: 4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.
and as I said it is nice to have you back !!...

> Just the hardware ng. I have no interest in the trolls in the general ng.
> Also, I had some health issues.
>
> "Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Nice to see Colin back !!
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>I don't think it is bad ram. More likely it is the often reported
>>>problem of a BSOD when all four memory slots have 1GB dimms. It is a
>>>known issue with nVidia chipsets on some boards and there is a patch. It
>>>can also be due to memory voltage settings. The stock settings in the
>>>BIOS can sometimes be reduced slightly to resolve the issue. He should
>>>check the forums on the mobo manufacturer's website to get some tips.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: 4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.
Thanks!

> and as I said it is nice to have you back !!...
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Just the hardware ng. I have no interest in the trolls in the general
>> ng. Also, I had some health issues.
>>
>> "Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> Nice to see Colin back !!

NuSouthNeoCon@yahoo.com

Re: 4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.
On Dec 21 2007, 3:00 pm, andy6432668 <andy6432668.31y...@no-
mx.forums.net> wrote:
> I got a dell inspiron 531 came with 2 gigs of memory running vista 64
> bit. I installed 2 gigs total of 4 gigs got b.s.o.d. upon startup so I
> startup in safe mode there it shows 4 gigs tried again to boot in normal
> desktop same bsod. I removed 1 stick leaving 3 gigs now boots and runs
> fine what's up with vista and 4 gigs of ram ?
>
> --
> andy6432668

Ok, I got the same computer and the same problem. Except when I
started in safe mode it show 3.5 gigs of ram when I had 4 installed.
Also, in the chipset it showed that I had 4 gigs installed. So the
computer is seeing it and it is not a problem with the computer. The
guy from dell said that it was probably vista that was having trouble
seeing it. So I think that we can probably put a 512 stick in and run
with 3.5 gigs until vista figures this out, if they do, and fixes it.
NuSouthNeoCon@yahoo.com

Re: 4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.
On Dec 22 2007, 5:59 pm, SimRacer <SimRa...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> If it only gives you the blue screen with 4 in and works fine with 3 in then
> its most likely bad ram. You can download a Memtest and burn that to disk and
> run the program. Its a DOS based program so your system needs to be set to
> boot from cd as first boot device. Test the memory one at a time to find out
> if any of it is bad.
>
> http://www.memtest.org/
>
> Thats the link to memtest, its free and a much better testing program then
> Microsofts memory tester. Run the test and let it repeat at least a couple of
> times.
>
> "andy6432668" wrote:
>
> > I got a dell inspiron 531 came with 2 gigs of memory running vista 64
> > bit. I installed 2 gigs total of 4 gigs got b.s.o.d. upon startup so I
> > startup in safe mode there it shows 4 gigs tried again to boot in normal
> > desktop same bsod. I removed 1 stick leaving 3 gigs now boots and runs
> > fine what's up with vista and 4 gigs of ram ?

> > --
> > andy6432668

Its not bad ram. Its Vista. With the inspiron 531 you probably can
only run 3 gigs with vista. But the ram is fine.