no sound on new vista system

Crashed, crashed and burned

no sound on new vista system
I have a Gateway desktop with Vista. I have a HP Officejet Pro L7680 all in
one. The HP box said was "Vista compatable." When my printer is hooked up to
my computer, I have no sound on my computer. (SigmaTel audio) My computer
doesn't recognize the Audio drivers, I can't uninstall or reinstall them. I
have downloaded the latest drivers from HP numerous times. I have been on the
phone with HP at least 4 times (to them, this is a Gateway problem) I have
been on the phone with Gateway at least 6 times AND they've had my computer
in their "shop" twice. To them, this is a VISTA problem. I have talked with
upper level support for HP and Gateway, I've done all of the "obvious" things
to try and fix the problem of no sound-- the computer not recognizing the
audio device. I've even wiped the whole system and started over again - the
sound worked for a few hours, next day, it was gone again. Any other
suggestions? I think I am at the point of buying a new all- in- one that is
definitely on Microsoft's list of compatable printers. I have not spent the
money to speak with Microsoft Vista support - I don't think I should have to.
I am not the kind that has to have the latest and great technology (my old
computer died a sudden death) Also, can I have someone uninstall VISTA and
put Windows onmy system without any other complications?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: no sound on new vista system
Does sound work without the printer?
If not, it is clearly a Gateway problem.

Did Gateway sell the printer with the computer?

If you have sound without the printer but no sound with the printer,
there is some sort of compatibility issue.
It could be HP, Gateway, Windows Vista, or a combination.

You mention HP drivers, have you also gone to Gateway to get the
latest sound drivers?
Install the latest sound drivers before attempting to install the
printer.

If sound works for a while, what changes just before sound stops?

You may need to return the computer or printer and get a different
model to avoid the compatibility issue.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Crashed, crashed and burned" <Crashed, crashed and
burned@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway desktop with Vista. I have a HP Officejet Pro L7680
>all in
> one. The HP box said was "Vista compatable." When my printer is
> hooked up to
> my computer, I have no sound on my computer. (SigmaTel audio) My
> computer
> doesn't recognize the Audio drivers, I can't uninstall or reinstall
> them. I
> have downloaded the latest drivers from HP numerous times. I have
> been on the
> phone with HP at least 4 times (to them, this is a Gateway problem)
> I have
> been on the phone with Gateway at least 6 times AND they've had my
> computer
> in their "shop" twice. To them, this is a VISTA problem. I have
> talked with
> upper level support for HP and Gateway, I've done all of the
> "obvious" things
> to try and fix the problem of no sound-- the computer not
> recognizing the
> audio device. I've even wiped the whole system and started over
> again - the
> sound worked for a few hours, next day, it was gone again. Any
> other
> suggestions? I think I am at the point of buying a new all- in- one
> that is
> definitely on Microsoft's list of compatable printers. I have not
> spent the
> money to speak with Microsoft Vista support - I don't think I should
> have to.
> I am not the kind that has to have the latest and great technology
> (my old
> computer died a sudden death) Also, can I have someone uninstall
> VISTA and
> put Windows onmy system without any other complications?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you

Crashed, crashed and burned

Re: no sound on new vista system
Thank you for your quick reply. It seems that when I download a driver -
either audio or printer - I have sound for the rest of the evening. The next
morning when I turn my computer back on, I have that darned little speaker
icon on the bottom right with the red "X" over it and I am back to square
one. I bought the printer at the same store as the Gateway computer, but it
was not a package deal. I can't return either at this point, I've had both
for nearly 6 months and no sound for most of that time. Can/should I have
someone install Windows XP and go back to the old days??? Or is this not
possible since my computer came with VISTA from Gateway?
Thank you

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Does sound work without the printer?
> If not, it is clearly a Gateway problem.
>
> Did Gateway sell the printer with the computer?
>
> If you have sound without the printer but no sound with the printer,
> there is some sort of compatibility issue.
> It could be HP, Gateway, Windows Vista, or a combination.
>
> You mention HP drivers, have you also gone to Gateway to get the
> latest sound drivers?
> Install the latest sound drivers before attempting to install the
> printer.
>
> If sound works for a while, what changes just before sound stops?
>
> You may need to return the computer or printer and get a different
> model to avoid the compatibility issue.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>

> "Crashed, crashed and burned" <Crashed, crashed and
> burned@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Gateway desktop with Vista. I have a HP Officejet Pro L7680
> >all in
> > one. The HP box said was "Vista compatable." When my printer is
> > hooked up to
> > my computer, I have no sound on my computer. (SigmaTel audio) My
> > computer
> > doesn't recognize the Audio drivers, I can't uninstall or reinstall
> > them. I
> > have downloaded the latest drivers from HP numerous times. I have
> > been on the
> > phone with HP at least 4 times (to them, this is a Gateway problem)
> > I have
> > been on the phone with Gateway at least 6 times AND they've had my
> > computer
> > in their "shop" twice. To them, this is a VISTA problem. I have
> > talked with
> > upper level support for HP and Gateway, I've done all of the
> > "obvious" things
> > to try and fix the problem of no sound-- the computer not
> > recognizing the
> > audio device. I've even wiped the whole system and started over
> > again - the
> > sound worked for a few hours, next day, it was gone again. Any
> > other
> > suggestions? I think I am at the point of buying a new all- in- one
> > that is
> > definitely on Microsoft's list of compatable printers. I have not
> > spent the
> > money to speak with Microsoft Vista support - I don't think I should
> > have to.
> > I am not the kind that has to have the latest and great technology
> > (my old
> > computer died a sudden death) Also, can I have someone uninstall
> > VISTA and
> > put Windows onmy system without any other complications?
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thank you

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: no sound on new vista system
You would have to check with Gateway whether that computer can support
Windows XP.
As time goes by, more and more new hardware is not supported with
Windows XP.
The Gateway website should be able to help you see if there are the
necessary drivers.

It is also possible, however I consider it slight, you would have the
same problems with Windows XP.

Do you lose sound if the printer is not installed or connected?
If possible see if you can borrow another printer from a friend.
It would be good to know if you have the problem with all printers or
just HP or just that particular model of HP.
If you have the problem with all printers, it is a Gateway problem.
You need to verify the extent of connection between the printer and
loss of sound.