Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

degraded raid mirror

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
skytopdesigns
 

Posts: n/a
degraded raid mirror
i just had my vista computer set up with 2HD raid set up.

i have 2 nvidea cards

this is the second time that when i boot. it starts fine but then shortly
after it shuts down and restarts and flashes in red "degrated nvidea mirror"

then it seems to be fine
what does that mean?

thanks
Lisa


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: degraded raid mirror
Hi,

You may have a failing drive, or just need to rebuild the array. Some links:
http://www.google.com/search?q=degra...x=&startPage=1

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"skytopdesigns" <skytopdesigns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0E64E3F7-3346-43A5-84D3-E69B220E4638@microsoft.com...
>i just had my vista computer set up with 2HD raid set up.
>
> i have 2 nvidea cards
>
> this is the second time that when i boot. it starts fine but then
> shortly
> after it shuts down and restarts and flashes in red "degrated nvidea
> mirror"
>
> then it seems to be fine
> what does that mean?
>
> thanks
> Lisa
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
skytopdesigns
 

Posts: n/a
RE: degraded raid mirror
Just wanted to add. that before i would only see 3 drives. i have another
hard drive that is not raid

now i see 5 drives

"skytopdesigns" wrote:

> i just had my vista computer set up with 2HD raid set up.
>
> i have 2 nvidea cards
>
> this is the second time that when i boot. it starts fine but then shortly
> after it shuts down and restarts and flashes in red "degrated nvidea mirror"
>
> then it seems to be fine
> what does that mean?
>
> thanks
> Lisa
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
skytopdesigns
 

Posts: n/a
Re: degraded raid mirror
the 2 raid drives are brand new.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You may have a failing drive, or just need to rebuild the array. Some links:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=degra...x=&startPage=1
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "skytopdesigns" <skytopdesigns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:0E64E3F7-3346-43A5-84D3-E69B220E4638@microsoft.com...
> >i just had my vista computer set up with 2HD raid set up.
> >
> > i have 2 nvidea cards
> >
> > this is the second time that when i boot. it starts fine but then
> > shortly
> > after it shuts down and restarts and flashes in red "degrated nvidea
> > mirror"
> >
> > then it seems to be fine
> > what does that mean?
> >
> > thanks
> > Lisa
> >
> >

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
Kerry Brown
 

Posts: n/a
Re: degraded raid mirror
Some hard drives don't work well with RAID. What happens is a timing
problem. In a RAID array the controller is trying to queue the read/writes
for the most efficient movement of the heads. This means the drives may get
a burst of commands that they can't deal with before the controller is
expecting a response. The controller thinks there is an error and logs it.
After so many errors the controller fails one of the drives and removes it
from the array. This is sometimes a combination of the controller, CPU, and
hard drives. Most onboard RAID controllers don't have a dedicated CPU but
use the computers CPU do the RAID calculations. If you combine drives that
aren't designed for RAID with a marginal CPU and an onboard controller you
will have many problems. What is the exact model number of the drives? What
are your system specifications?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca


"skytopdesigns" <skytopdesigns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5582F643-5EEC-412A-B028-6AF45C367890@microsoft.com...
> the 2 raid drives are brand new.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You may have a failing drive, or just need to rebuild the array. Some
>> links:
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=degra...x=&startPage=1
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>
>> "skytopdesigns" <skytopdesigns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> news:0E64E3F7-3346-43A5-84D3-E69B220E4638@microsoft.com...
>> >i just had my vista computer set up with 2HD raid set up.
>> >
>> > i have 2 nvidea cards
>> >
>> > this is the second time that when i boot. it starts fine but then
>> > shortly
>> > after it shuts down and restarts and flashes in red "degrated nvidea
>> > mirror"
>> >
>> > then it seems to be fine
>> > what does that mean?
>> >
>> > thanks
>> > Lisa
>> >
>> >

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
Steve Pearce
 

Posts: n/a
Re: degraded raid mirror
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 04:15:01 -0800, skytopdesigns
<skytopdesigns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>the 2 raid drives are brand new.


So possible to have a failing drive then, just because they are new
doesn't mean they are necessarily immune from failing (also known as
"bathtub curve").
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
skytopdesigns
 

Posts: n/a
Re: degraded raid mirror
i understand that new dosnt mean immunity from failure. i just had a 1 year
old drive go on me

my computer guy suggested a rebuild

i hit f10

but when i hit rebuild, nothing happens

"Steve Pearce" wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 04:15:01 -0800, skytopdesigns
> <skytopdesigns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >the 2 raid drives are brand new.

>
> So possible to have a failing drive then, just because they are new
> doesn't mean they are necessarily immune from failing (also known as
> "bathtub curve").
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows is unable to find system volume... (Raid & no Raid) tyeh26 microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 12-14-2007 21:44
Mirror RAID Peter microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 15 08-10-2007 01:31
Mirror Richard microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 06-01-2007 21:51
nvidia RAID 10 broken into two RAID 10 drive sets =?Utf-8?B?dG9tc2NobGVpcw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 04-11-2007 15:46
RE: Vista x64 dual boot WinXP with RAID-5 ICH8R messes up RAID array =?Utf-8?B?LS1yb3ktLQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 02-19-2007 07:25




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:54.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120