built in webcam locked by another application

Eric

built in webcam locked by another application
Hello,

I bought a new a Toshiba portable pc with a built in chicony webcam.
When the pc starts the webcam works but later when i want to use it again,
with msn for example or with the chicony software, i have a message saying
that it is locked by another application but no other application uses it!

Sometimes the chicony software does not even start.

How can i solve this problem?

Thanks for your help

Rick Rogers

Re: built in webcam locked by another application
Hi,

Check with Toshiba for an update to the webcam software, as it doesn't sound
like it is releasing the handles it has on the hardware. Alternately, you
might check to see if the software is loading in the startup axis and
disable it (msconfig/startup tab).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Eric" <sansadresse> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I bought a new a Toshiba portable pc with a built in chicony webcam.
> When the pc starts the webcam works but later when i want to use it again,
> with msn for example or with the chicony software, i have a message saying
> that it is locked by another application but no other application uses it!
>
> Sometimes the chicony software does not even start.
>
> How can i solve this problem?
>
> Thanks for your help

Eric

Re: built in webcam locked by another application
Thanks

I bought this new pc 15 days ago. I checked on the toshiba website and there
is no more recent driver.
Seems many people have this problem with toshiba and built in camera

i'll try disabling the software in msconfig but even if it it loaded the cam
does not work (light is not on).. and when i try to make the cam work with
the software, it does not work either, except when the pc just started

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : #bPbDMjQIHA.5184@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
Hi,

Check with Toshiba for an update to the webcam software, as it doesn't sound
like it is releasing the handles it has on the hardware. Alternately, you
might check to see if the software is loading in the startup axis and
disable it (msconfig/startup tab).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Eric" <sansadresse> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I bought a new a Toshiba portable pc with a built in chicony webcam.
> When the pc starts the webcam works but later when i want to use it again,
> with msn for example or with the chicony software, i have a message saying
> that it is locked by another application but no other application uses it!
>
> Sometimes the chicony software does not even start.
>
> How can i solve this problem?
>
> Thanks for your help

Rick Rogers

Re: built in webcam locked by another application
Hi,

Make a warranty call and see if there is updated firmware for the webcam
itself.

--

> Thanks
>
> I bought this new pc 15 days ago. I checked on the toshiba website and
> there
> is no more recent driver.
> Seems many people have this problem with toshiba and built in camera
>
> i'll try disabling the software in msconfig but even if it it loaded the
> cam
> does not work (light is not on).. and when i try to make the cam work with
> the software, it does not work either, except when the pc just started
>

> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
> discussion : #bPbDMjQIHA.5184@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Check with Toshiba for an update to the webcam software, as it doesn't
> sound
> like it is releasing the handles it has on the hardware. Alternately, you
> might check to see if the software is loading in the startup axis and
> disable it (msconfig/startup tab).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Eric" <sansadresse> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I bought a new a Toshiba portable pc with a built in chicony webcam.
>> When the pc starts the webcam works but later when i want to use it
>> again,
>> with msn for example or with the chicony software, i have a message
>> saying
>> that it is locked by another application but no other application uses
>> it!
>>
>> Sometimes the chicony software does not even start.
>>
>> How can i solve this problem?
>>
>> Thanks for your help

TimoKM

Re: built in webcam locked by another application
Please check patch for :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

regards TimoKM

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Make a warranty call and see if there is updated firmware for the webcam
> itself.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Eric" <sansadresse> wrote in message
> > Thanks
> >
> > I bought this new pc 15 days ago. I checked on the toshiba website and
> > there
> > is no more recent driver.
> > Seems many people have this problem with toshiba and built in camera
> >
> > i'll try disabling the software in msconfig but even if it it loaded the
> > cam
> > does not work (light is not on).. and when i try to make the cam work with
> > the software, it does not work either, except when the pc just started
> >

> > "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
> > discussion : #bPbDMjQIHA.5184@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Check with Toshiba for an update to the webcam software, as it doesn't
> > sound
> > like it is releasing the handles it has on the hardware. Alternately, you
> > might check to see if the software is loading in the startup axis and
> > disable it (msconfig/startup tab).
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Eric" <sansadresse> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I bought a new a Toshiba portable pc with a built in chicony webcam.
> >> When the pc starts the webcam works but later when i want to use it
> >> again,
> >> with msn for example or with the chicony software, i have a message
> >> saying
> >> that it is locked by another application but no other application uses
> >> it!
> >>
> >> Sometimes the chicony software does not even start.
> >>
> >> How can i solve this problem?
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help

Eric

Re: built in webcam locked by another application
What is that update for?

It does not refer to my locked webcam problem

"Enhancements

- Adds the fix from Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 940199, "Error message
when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows Vista: 'Windows
encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device'."

Moreover it comes from HP

Thanks

groupe de discussion : C8ACC8D0-CA44-4796-BE65-316C3956923F@microsoft.com...

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Make a warranty call and see if there is updated firmware for the webcam
> itself.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Eric" <sansadresse> wrote in message
> > Thanks
> >
> > I bought this new pc 15 days ago. I checked on the toshiba website and
> > there
> > is no more recent driver.
> > Seems many people have this problem with toshiba and built in camera
> >
> > i'll try disabling the software in msconfig but even if it it loaded the
> > cam
> > does not work (light is not on).. and when i try to make the cam work
> > with
> > the software, it does not work either, except when the pc just started
> >

> > "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
> > discussion : #bPbDMjQIHA.5184@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Check with Toshiba for an update to the webcam software, as it doesn't
> > sound
> > like it is releasing the handles it has on the hardware. Alternately,
> > you
> > might check to see if the software is loading in the startup axis and
> > disable it (msconfig/startup tab).
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Eric" <sansadresse> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I bought a new a Toshiba portable pc with a built in chicony webcam.
> >> When the pc starts the webcam works but later when i want to use it
> >> again,
> >> with msn for example or with the chicony software, i have a message
> >> saying
> >> that it is locked by another application but no other application uses
> >> it!
> >>
> >> Sometimes the chicony software does not even start.
> >>
> >> How can i solve this problem?
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help

marja

Re: built in webcam locked by another application

It is not a problem just with Toshiba, my Sony Vaio is doing the same
thing. Some times the camera works and few minutes later it no longer
works. I am assuming the issue is with Vista.

--
marja
Rick Rogers

Re: built in webcam locked by another application
Hi Eric,

It doesn't apply to you, but it's the same type of fix that you need. Yours
just needs to come from Toshiba.

--

> What is that update for?
>
> It does not refer to my locked webcam problem
>
> "Enhancements
>
> - Adds the fix from Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 940199, "Error
> message
> when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows Vista: 'Windows
> encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device'."
>
> Moreover it comes from HP
>
> Thanks
>

> "TimoKM" <TimoKM@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> groupe de discussion :
> C8ACC8D0-CA44-4796-BE65-316C3956923F@microsoft.com...
> Please check patch for :
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN
>
> regards TimoKM
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Make a warranty call and see if there is updated firmware for the webcam
>> itself.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Eric" <sansadresse> wrote in message
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > I bought this new pc 15 days ago. I checked on the toshiba website and
>> > there
>> > is no more recent driver.
>> > Seems many people have this problem with toshiba and built in camera
>> >
>> > i'll try disabling the software in msconfig but even if it it loaded
>> > the
>> > cam
>> > does not work (light is not on).. and when i try to make the cam work
>> > with
>> > the software, it does not work either, except when the pc just started
>> >

>> > "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
>> > discussion : #bPbDMjQIHA.5184@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Check with Toshiba for an update to the webcam software, as it doesn't
>> > sound
>> > like it is releasing the handles it has on the hardware. Alternately,
>> > you
>> > might check to see if the software is loading in the startup axis and
>> > disable it (msconfig/startup tab).
>> >
>> > --
>> > Best of Luck,
>> >
>> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Eric

Re: built in webcam locked by another application
Whart can we do then? ;-(

Just hoping Miccrosoft will read us?

"marja" <marja.3266z5@no-mx.forums.net> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : marja.3266z5@no-mx.forums.net...

It is not a problem just with Toshiba, my Sony Vaio is doing the same
thing. Some times the camera works and few minutes later it no longer
works. I am assuming the issue is with Vista.

--
marja

TimoKM

Re: built in webcam locked by another application
The update is,
what you both need and it is from Microsoft ---- HP give it for me-
Use it --- it fixed my the problem --- bug is in MS Vista software --- not
in pc

TimoKM

Happy New Year!!!!