problem with usb headset

sobriquet

problem with usb headset

Hi.
I have a Sennheiser usb headset and it used to work fine on my dell
vista laptop (inspiron 640m).
Now suddenly it no longer works and I don't have a clue why it doesn't
work anymore. There are no online drivers available for the usb
headset and it works fine on another xp computer.
When I plug it in on my dell vista laptop, the hardware manager looks
like this:
http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/hardware.jpg

("samengesteld USB apparaat" means "composite USB device" in Dutch)

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, Niek
Columbotrek

Re: problem with usb headset
sobriquet wrote:
> Hi.
> I have a Sennheiser usb headset and it used to work fine on my dell
> vista laptop (inspiron 640m).
> Now suddenly it no longer works and I don't have a clue why it doesn't
> work anymore. There are no online drivers available for the usb
> headset and it works fine on another xp computer.
> When I plug it in on my dell vista laptop, the hardware manager looks
> like this:
> http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/hardware.jpg
>
> ("samengesteld USB apparaat" means "composite USB device" in Dutch)
>
> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, Niek

check the sounds and audio devices control panel. Check that your USB
is still the audio output device.

S.Lewis

Re: problem with usb headset

"sobriquet" <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi.
> I have a Sennheiser usb headset and it used to work fine on my dell
> vista laptop (inspiron 640m).
> Now suddenly it no longer works and I don't have a clue why it doesn't
> work anymore. There are no online drivers available for the usb
> headset and it works fine on another xp computer.
> When I plug it in on my dell vista laptop, the hardware manager looks
> like this:
> http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/hardware.jpg
>
> ("samengesteld USB apparaat" means "composite USB device" in Dutch)
>
> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, Niek

You might also wish to simply delete/uninstall those entries in device
manager, reboot, and allow Vista to re-detect/reinstall the headphones.

sobriquet

Re: problem with usb headset
On 18 dec, 22:44, "S.Lewis" <NVRa...@techie.com> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <dohduh...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hi.
> > I have a Sennheiser usb headset and it used to work fine on my dell
> > vista laptop (inspiron 640m).
> > Now suddenly it no longer works and I don't have a clue why it doesn't
> > work anymore. There are no online drivers available for the usb
> > headset and it works fine on another xp computer.
> > When I plug it in on my dell vista laptop, the hardware manager looks
> > like this:
> >http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/hardware.jpg

> > ("samengesteld USB apparaat" means "composite USB device" in Dutch)

> > Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, Niek

> You might also wish to simply delete/uninstall those entries in device
> manager, reboot, and allow Vista to re-detect/reinstall the headphones.

I tried that, but windows reinstalls the same usb headset driver
automatically and I end up in the same situation. Rebooting doesn't
help either. I also have another logitech headset that works ok and
when I plug it in, it also lists an additional composite usb device
(without the yellow checkmark) and it also lists an additional
audiodevice. So it's as if two new devices appear as soon as I connect
the logitech headset (and they disappear when I disconnect the
headset). When I plug in the sennheiser headset however, I only see
one new device appearing (as a composite usb device) with a yellow
mark to indicate something is wrong.

> On 18 dec, 22:44, "S.Lewis" <NVRa...@techie.com> wrote:
>> "sobriquet" <dohduh...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Hi.
>> > I have a Sennheiser usb headset and it used to work fine on my dell
>> > vista laptop (inspiron 640m).
>> > Now suddenly it no longer works and I don't have a clue why it doesn't
>> > work anymore. There are no online drivers available for the usb
>> > headset and it works fine on another xp computer.
>> > When I plug it in on my dell vista laptop, the hardware manager looks
>> > like this:
>> >http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/hardware.jpg

>> > ("samengesteld USB apparaat" means "composite USB device" in Dutch)

>> > Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, Niek

>> You might also wish to simply delete/uninstall those entries in device
>> manager, reboot, and allow Vista to re-detect/reinstall the headphones.

> I tried that, but windows reinstalls the same usb headset driver
> automatically and I end up in the same situation. Rebooting doesn't
> help either. I also have another logitech headset that works ok and
> when I plug it in, it also lists an additional composite usb device
> (without the yellow checkmark) and it also lists an additional
> audiodevice. So it's as if two new devices appear as soon as I connect
> the logitech headset (and they disappear when I disconnect the
> headset). When I plug in the sennheiser headset however, I only see
> one new device appearing (as a composite usb device) with a yellow
> mark to indicate something is wrong.

If you're sure there's nothing defective with the Sennheiser headset, why
not just run a Windows system restore back to a date before the problem
began.

It could be a update patch for Vista or some other device or application has
"blown it up".

No harm in the restore. You won't lose created files. You will lose most all
updates of applications and any applications you've added after the restore
date.

?

sobriquet

Re: problem with usb headset
On 19 dec, 05:05, "S.Lewis" <NVRa...@techie.com> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <dohduh...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On 18 dec, 22:44, "S.Lewis" <NVRa...@techie.com> wrote:
> >> "sobriquet" <dohduh...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> You might also wish to simply delete/uninstall those entries in device
> >> manager, reboot, and allow Vista to re-detect/reinstall the headphones.

> > I tried that, but windows reinstalls the same usb headset driver
> > automatically and I end up in the same situation. Rebooting doesn't
> > help either. I also have another logitech headset that works ok and
> > when I plug it in, it also lists an additional composite usb device
> > (without the yellow checkmark) and it also lists an additional
> > audiodevice. So it's as if two new devices appear as soon as I connect
> > the logitech headset (and they disappear when I disconnect the
> > headset). When I plug in the sennheiser headset however, I only see
> > one new device appearing (as a composite usb device) with a yellow
> > mark to indicate something is wrong.

> If you're sure there's nothing defective with the Sennheiser headset, why
> not just run a Windows system restore back to a date before the problem
> began.
>
> It could be a update patch for Vista or some other device or application has
> "blown it up".
>
> No harm in the restore. You won't lose created files. You will lose most all
> updates of applications and any applications you've added after the restore
> date.
>
> ?- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

I hate windows restore, it has never worked for me.
I do have a backup made with acronis, but it's quite old, so I'd like
to avoid restoring that if possible. Hopefully I can find an
alternative solution.
sobriquet

Re: problem with usb headset
On 18 dec, 22:10, sobriquet <dohduh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> I have a Sennheiser usb headset and it used to work fine on my dell
> vista laptop (inspiron 640m).
> Now suddenly it no longer works and I don't have a clue why it doesn't
> work anymore. There are no online drivers available for the usb
> headset and it works fine on another xp computer.
> When I plug it in on my dell vista laptop, the hardware manager looks
> like this:http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/hardware.jpg
>
> ("samengesteld USB apparaat" means "composite USB device" in Dutch)
>
> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, Niek

The problem has been solved by contacting Sennheiser and they pointed
me to an online fix:

http://www.sennheisercommunications....pcusb_ms_vista

(same as http://tinyurl.com/3xsvdz )

> On 18 dec, 22:10, sobriquet <dohduh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi.
>> I have a Sennheiser usb headset and it used to work fine on my dell
>> vista laptop (inspiron 640m).
>> Now suddenly it no longer works and I don't have a clue why it doesn't
>> work anymore. There are no online drivers available for the usb
>> headset and it works fine on another xp computer.
>> When I plug it in on my dell vista laptop, the hardware manager looks
>> like this:http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/hardware.jpg
>>
>> ("samengesteld USB apparaat" means "composite USB device" in Dutch)
>>
>> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, Niek

> The problem has been solved by contacting Sennheiser and they pointed
> me to an online fix:
>
> http://www.sennheisercommunications....pcusb_ms_vista
>
> (same as http://tinyurl.com/3xsvdz )

Hah. At least they were nice enough to update the firmware.

shuffle

Re: problem with usb headset

The update does not work for me, it says "no sennheiser usb device
registry detected!"

Then: "Please remove and replug your USB device to start new firmware"

press ok on both and does nothing..

I see the headset on device manager, and it still crashes after a while
and no sound from it.
Has anybody upgraded the firmware or made it work somehow??

--
shuffle
falcon69

Re: problem with usb headset

The firmware works fine for me. Just follow the instructions; connect as
Admin, make sure your headset is connected.
Piece of cake :-) Thanks Sennheiser

--
falcon69