Installing HP Movie Writer DC5000

EG

Installing HP Movie Writer DC5000
Greetings,

At one time I was able to hook up my HP Movie Writer DC5000 to my Vista PC.
But, over time, when I haven't used it for a long time, I tried to hook it up
again and my computer wouldn't recognize it nor install the drivers. I
suspect this was after windows updates, but don't know for sure. Anyway, I
contacted HP and they do not have an updated driver for Vista. Only XP and
2000 pro. So, is it safe to install XP drivers for my DC5000 Movie Writer
device, or am I out of luck? What is the danger?

Thank you .
Cal Bear '66

Re: Installing HP Movie Writer DC5000
My recommendation would be to try the XP drivers -- however, do NOT allow
automatic install -- find the setup.exe (or perhaps install.exe) file on the
latest downloaded XP drivers from the HP site and FIRST right click on the file
and on the Compatibility tab select XP Service Pack 2 from the dropdown list.
Then right click on the file again and select "Run as Administrator".

I got my HP 5470C scanner to work perfectly using the TWAIN driver and the HP
applications (although not when using Vista Ultimate's Fax and Scan application)
this way with XP drivers even though the HP site says that the scanner is "not
supported" under Vista

If it does not work this way, then you can uninstall the XP drivers and
applications.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"EG" <EG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> At one time I was able to hook up my HP Movie Writer DC5000 to my Vista PC.
> But, over time, when I haven't used it for a long time, I tried to hook it up
> again and my computer wouldn't recognize it nor install the drivers. I
> suspect this was after windows updates, but don't know for sure. Anyway, I
> contacted HP and they do not have an updated driver for Vista. Only XP and
> 2000 pro. So, is it safe to install XP drivers for my DC5000 Movie Writer
> device, or am I out of luck? What is the danger?
>
> Thank you .

EG

Re: Installing HP Movie Writer DC5000
I did as you suggested. But, it still didn't work. Plus it installed this
Symantec Control software that I didn't want. When I tried to remove it it
gave me a "Win NT Incorrect Version" error. I had to use System Restore to
revert back to before I installed it.

But, let's not try to troubleshoot that one. I want to see how to get my
dc5000 working.