Turn off Vista machine automatically.

LouB

Turn off Vista machine automatically.
Friend has a need to turn off machine automatically.
Say at 11:45 PM every night.
Once machine is off the machine will be turned on manually in the AM.
Is this possible using just Vista, or is there a program that can do it.

Reason for request is to get a ****ager asleep at a reasonable time
since said child has a somewhat dangerous job and need the rest.

TIA

Lou
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Turn off Vista machine automatically.
PC TimeWatch
http://www.pctimewatch.com/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"LouB" <LouB@invalid.com> wrote in message news:476737CD.6020502@invalid.com...
[...]

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
PC TimeWatch
http://www.pctimewatch.com/

Thank You, but I do not see where it will actually turn off the machine.
I will pass this along, but am still wondering if there are any other
solutions.

Lou

Mike Hall - MVP

> "LouB" <LouB@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Friend has a need to turn off machine automatically.
> Say at 11:45 PM every night.
> Once machine is off the machine will be turned on manually in the AM.
> Is this possible using just Vista, or is there a program that can do it.
>
> Reason for request is to get a ****ager asleep at a reasonable time
> since said child has a somewhat dangerous job and need the rest.
>
> TIA
>
> Lou
>
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> PC TimeWatch
> http://www.pctimewatch.com/
>
> Thank You, but I do not see where it will actually turn off the machine.
> I will pass this along, but am still wondering if there are any other
> solutions.
>
> Lou

Yes, there are other solutions, but most revolve around the parents taking
responsibility..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

David B.

Re: Turn off Vista machine automatically.
It's easy enough using the shutdown command in a scheduled task, but what's
to stop him from turning it right back on again?

--

----

"LouB" <LouB@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Friend has a need to turn off machine automatically.
> Say at 11:45 PM every night.
> Once machine is off the machine will be turned on manually in the AM.
> Is this possible using just Vista, or is there a program that can do it.
>
> Reason for request is to get a ****ager asleep at a reasonable time since
> said child has a somewhat dangerous job and need the rest.
>
> TIA
>
> Lou

LouB

Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
> "LouB" <LouB@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> "LouB" <LouB@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Friend has a need to turn off machine automatically.
>> Say at 11:45 PM every night.
>> Once machine is off the machine will be turned on manually in the AM.
>> Is this possible using just Vista, or is there a program that can do it.
>>
>> Reason for request is to get a ****ager asleep at a reasonable time
>> since said child has a somewhat dangerous job and need the rest.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Lou
>>
>> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>> PC TimeWatch
>> http://www.pctimewatch.com/
>>
>> Thank You, but I do not see where it will actually turn off the machine.
>> I will pass this along, but am still wondering if there are any other
>> solutions.
>>
>> Lou
>>

> Yes, there are other solutions, but most revolve around the parents
> taking responsibility..

Mike,

The lady has her 18 year old grand-daughter staying. She thinks the
grand daughter will not get back on because the system does require a
password and the child is not doing bad things, just chatting with her
friends. The lady goes to sleep at 10PM, kid gets in from work later.
Lady feels if machine goes off at midnight kid will not try to get back
on. Kid will be told what is about to happen. Lady is good grandma and
kid is good kid also. I am just not knowledgeable enough about Vista so
do not know how to do the schedule (also do not have a Vista machine at
my place).

Lou
LouB

David B. wrote:
> It's easy enough using the shutdown command in a scheduled task, but
> what's to stop him from turning it right back on again?

See my reply to Mike.

Lou
David B.

Re: Turn off Vista machine automatically.
Ok, you can use the method I use to reboot mine at 8am every weekday, except
you will do a shutdown.
Create a new text document and save it as "shutdown.cmd"
right click the new file and select edit, then type "shutdown /s /f"
(without the quotes) and save it.
move the file somewhere, c:\windows is a good place. Go to start,
accessories, system tools and run task scheduler and set up an instance to
run this cmd file at the time you want, when it shuts down it will display a
warning and the user will have 30 seconds to finish up what they are doing.

--

----

> Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
>> "LouB" <LouB@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>> "LouB" <LouB@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>> Friend has a need to turn off machine automatically.
>>> Say at 11:45 PM every night.
>>> Once machine is off the machine will be turned on manually in the AM.
>>> Is this possible using just Vista, or is there a program that can do it.
>>>
>>> Reason for request is to get a ****ager asleep at a reasonable time
>>> since said child has a somewhat dangerous job and need the rest.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>
>>> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>>> PC TimeWatch
>>> http://www.pctimewatch.com/
>>>
>>> Thank You, but I do not see where it will actually turn off the machine.
>>> I will pass this along, but am still wondering if there are any other
>>> solutions.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>> Yes, there are other solutions, but most revolve around the parents
>> taking responsibility..
>>

> Mike,
>
> The lady has her 18 year old grand-daughter staying. She thinks the grand
> daughter will not get back on because the system does require a password
> and the child is not doing bad things, just chatting with her friends.
> The lady goes to sleep at 10PM, kid gets in from work later.
> Lady feels if machine goes off at midnight kid will not try to get back
> on. Kid will be told what is about to happen. Lady is good grandma and
> kid is good kid also. I am just not knowledgeable enough about Vista so
> do not know how to do the schedule (also do not have a Vista machine at my
> place).
>
> Lou

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Turn off Vista machine automatically.
"LouB" <LouB@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
>> "LouB" <LouB@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>> "LouB" <LouB@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>> Friend has a need to turn off machine automatically.
>>> Say at 11:45 PM every night.
>>> Once machine is off the machine will be turned on manually in the AM.
>>> Is this possible using just Vista, or is there a program that can do it.
>>>
>>> Reason for request is to get a ****ager asleep at a reasonable time
>>> since said child has a somewhat dangerous job and need the rest.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>
>>> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>>> PC TimeWatch
>>> http://www.pctimewatch.com/
>>>
>>> Thank You, but I do not see where it will actually turn off the machine.
>>> I will pass this along, but am still wondering if there are any other
>>> solutions.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>> Yes, there are other solutions, but most revolve around the parents
>> taking responsibility..
>>

> Mike,
>
> The lady has her 18 year old grand-daughter staying. She thinks the grand
> daughter will not get back on because the system does require a password
> and the child is not doing bad things, just chatting with her friends.
> The lady goes to sleep at 10PM, kid gets in from work later.
> Lady feels if machine goes off at midnight kid will not try to get back
> on. Kid will be told what is about to happen. Lady is good grandma and
> kid is good kid also. I am just not knowledgeable enough about Vista so
> do not know how to do the schedule (also do not have a Vista machine at my
> place).
>
> Lou

It will require the setting up of an account.

Go to 'Help and Support', type in 'parental controls and you will get all
you need to know. It is possible to set time limits, what can be logged
into, stuff like that. I assume that all Vista versions have the same
ability in this regard.

I have a feeling that 'Grannie' may need help setting it all up, and it will
only be kid proof up to the point where the kid is told how to bypass the
control by a 'well meaning friend'

This is the overview of what Vista has to offer..

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...lcontrols.mspx

Bear in mind that 3rd party stuff may well be better, but will cost and may
not run in Vista. One would have to check first.

--
Mike Hall - MVP