Game Port

Daniel Copeland

Game Port
I have an ASUS K-8NE Deluxe mobo with integrated sound and game port. I use
this game port to interface several MIDI instruments to digital audio
software. In Vista, this game port is listed as "unsupported game port" in
the device manager. Am I to believe that all of my musical gear is now
incompatible with my PC, and I have to either jury-rig a gameport-to-usb
adapter or find some other means of hooking up my equipment? Regardless if
Microsoft supports it or not, MIDI still exists and is STILL being
manufactured into musical devices to a great degree. Does somebody maybe
here know what I should do? Hang on to XP until support drops, or spend
thousands of dollars getting new equipment?
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Game Port
Daniel;
First contact the manufacturers of your hardware and ask them if they
support their hardware in Windows Vista?
If not, When?

If you already have Windows XP and it works for you, stay with it
until hardware or software dictate a change is appropriate.
Windows XP will probably be supported for several more years.
The existence of a new operating system has never been a good enough
reason alone to justify upgrading.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Daniel Copeland" <Daniel Copeland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news40104DB-AAE7-4D2F-A76A-529EB73E2094@microsoft.com...
>I have an ASUS K-8NE Deluxe mobo with integrated sound and game port.
>I use
> this game port to interface several MIDI instruments to digital
> audio
> software. In Vista, this game port is listed as "unsupported game
> port" in
> the device manager. Am I to believe that all of my musical gear is
> now
> incompatible with my PC, and I have to either jury-rig a
> gameport-to-usb
> adapter or find some other means of hooking up my equipment?
> Regardless if
> Microsoft supports it or not, MIDI still exists and is STILL being
> manufactured into musical devices to a great degree. Does somebody
> maybe
> here know what I should do? Hang on to XP until support drops, or
> spend
> thousands of dollars getting new equipment?

Carlos

RE: Game Port
Daniel,
The "old" gameport is no longer supported by MS Operating Systems as of
Windows XP x64.
However, if you are running Vista x86, there is a workaround in the Vista
forums at www.soundblaster.com
Gameport (maybe MIDI also?) can be brought to life using the files in that
forum.
Carlos