Vista Fails to locate drivers on USB devices

nino

Vista Fails to locate drivers on USB devices
I have an odd problem where by when I insert a device for the first time be
it a memory stick, SD card or mouse vista decides that it doesn't want to
locate the driver. I have to manually tell it to look in c:/windows.....

I have bought a band spanking new Cruzer micro pen drive inserted into my
desktop(vista ultimate) and it has instantly popped up asking what i want to
do with the pen drive. I then inserted into my XPS Laptop(Vista Ultimate) and
vista complains that it cannot find the driver and its at this point i need
to manually need browse for the drivers. Once i do this for 1 device I never
need to do it again but if i put another brand of pen drivesd card in i need
to browse again. I hope ive explained that clearly lol

Thanks for any help!

Nino
Samon

Re: Vista Fails to locate drivers on USB devices
Me too! Is there anyone can help me? When I plug in a usb device, vista just
cannot find the driver.
I'm so confused with that.

"nino" <nino@discussions.microsoft.com> 写入消息
> I have an odd problem where by when I insert a device for the first time
> be
> it a memory stick, SD card or mouse vista decides that it doesn't want to
> locate the driver. I have to manually tell it to look in c:/windows.....
>
> I have bought a band spanking new Cruzer micro pen drive inserted into my
> desktop(vista ultimate) and it has instantly popped up asking what i want
> do with the pen drive. I then inserted into my XPS Laptop(Vista Ultimate)
> and
> vista complains that it cannot find the driver and its at this point i
> need
> to manually need browse for the drivers. Once i do this for 1 device I
> never
> need to do it again but if i put another brand of pen drivesd card in i
> need
> to browse again. I hope ive explained that clearly lol
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Nino

dmex

Re: Vista Fails to locate drivers on USB devices

Vista might have forgotten its search "paths", im unsur how to make
device manager search certin locations but this might be of some help.

'Microsoft Corporation'
(http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true)
'Environment Variables in Windows XP'
(http://www.vlaurie.com/computers2/Ar...nvironment.htm)

--
dmex
Uwe Sieber

nino wrote:
> I have an odd problem where by when I insert a device for the first time be
> it a memory stick, SD card or mouse vista decides that it doesn't want to
> locate the driver. I have to manually tell it to look in c:/windows.....
>
> I have bought a band spanking new Cruzer micro pen drive inserted into my
> desktop(vista ultimate) and it has instantly popped up asking what i want to
> do with the pen drive. I then inserted into my XPS Laptop(Vista Ultimate) and
> vista complains that it cannot find the driver and its at this point i need
> to manually need browse for the drivers. Once i do this for 1 device I never
> need to do it again but if i put another brand of pen drivesd card in i need
> to browse again. I hope ive explained that clearly lol

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_...ks_for_drivers

nino

Re: Vista Fails to locate drivers on USB devices
I have found a solution to my problem at:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/dt-4...as-t15831.html

turns out it was daemon tools at fault!

I did the following:
"
Navigate to C:\windows\inf (substitute a different drive letter for
whichever one your OS is installed on) and find the file infcache.1
You will need to have windows set to show hidden and system files most
likely. Since this is Vista, you also may need to go to the properties
and permissions for the file and take full control. Once that is done,
delete the file. Try reinstalling your device at that point and see if
it works.
"
nino

RE: Vista Fails to locate drivers on USB devices
Found the issue was with daemon tools!

I did the following:

"Try this:
Navigate to C:\windows\inf (substitute a different drive letter for
whichever one your OS is installed on) and find the file infcache.1
You will need to have windows set to show hidden and system files most
likely. Since this is Vista, you also may need to go to the properties
and permissions for the file and take full control. Once that is done,
delete the file. Try reinstalling your device at that point and see if
it works."
DevilsPGD

Re: Vista Fails to locate drivers on USB devices
In message <2105A0EF-7FA7-44BD-8ADC-35CA36A76947@microsoft.com> nino
<nino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have found a solution to my problem at:
>
>http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/dt-4...as-t15831.html
>
>turns out it was daemon tools at fault!

That is not correct, many of us see this issue without Daemontools being
installed.

>I did the following:
>"
>Navigate to C:\windows\inf (substitute a different drive letter for
>whichever one your OS is installed on) and find the file infcache.1
>You will need to have windows set to show hidden and system files most
>likely. Since this is Vista, you also may need to go to the properties
>and permissions for the file and take full control. Once that is done,
>delete the file. Try reinstalling your device at that point and see if
>it works.
>"

Indeed, this fix works in many cases.
Wandering

Re: Vista Fails to locate drivers on USB devices
How could it possibly not be "correct" and how could you possibly know it
was not? He didn't claim any more than that he had solved his problem that
way, and showed what he did. It is certainly correct, though it may not
apply to you. Use what you can, and leave the rest. No need to judge
another's success here.

In message <uFPYimkQIHA.280@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl> "Wandering"
<amore.dei@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How could it possibly not be "correct" and how could you possibly know it
>was not? He didn't claim any more than that he had solved his problem that
>way, and showed what he did. It is certainly correct, though it may not
>apply to you. Use what you can, and leave the rest. No need to judge
>another's success here.

I can claim it's not correct because the symptoms described occur
without Daemontools being installed, and do not always occur with
Daemontools being installed, even on identical hardware configurations.

The fix is valid, the cause is misidentified.