external HDD format to FAT/FAT32

Craig008

external HDD format to FAT/FAT32
i am having a problem with formating a couple of external HDDs to FAT for use
with PS3, vista will only allow me to format them to NTFS, is there another
way of formating them
--
grapes
Kerry Brown

Re: external HDD format to FAT/FAT32
Vista and XP are limited to 32 GB when creating a FAT32 partition. If you
want to use partitions bigger than 32 GB with FAT32 you will need to use a
third party program to format the partitions.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...eeware&met a=

I use Acronis Disk Director but it is not free.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing.../diskdirector/

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Craig008" <Craig008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am having a problem with formating a couple of external HDDs to FAT for
>use
> with PS3, vista will only allow me to format them to NTFS, is there
> another
> way of formating them
> --
> grapes

Craig008

Re: external HDD format to FAT/FAT32
cool thanks for that, i will just use many partitions, for different things i
think, 32gb is big enough for most and i will have more than one so it will
be OK. thanks for your help
--
grapes

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Vista and XP are limited to 32 GB when creating a FAT32 partition. If you
> want to use partitions bigger than 32 GB with FAT32 you will need to use a
> third party program to format the partitions.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...eeware&met a=
>
> I use Acronis Disk Director but it is not free.
>
> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing.../diskdirector/
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "Craig008" <Craig008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i am having a problem with formating a couple of external HDDs to FAT for
> >use
> > with PS3, vista will only allow me to format them to NTFS, is there
> > another
> > way of formating them
> > --
> > grapes

Kerry Brown

Re: external HDD format to FAT/FAT32
Be aware that FAT32 also has a limit to the largest file size (4 GB). When
formatting external drives that need to be shared with devices that don't
work with NTFS I usually make one or two 32 GB FAT32 partitions then format
the rest of the drive as NTFS. This allows me to store files larger than 4
GB on the drive. This is useful for backups, video files, etc.

--

> cool thanks for that, i will just use many partitions, for different
> things i
> think, 32gb is big enough for most and i will have more than one so it
> will
> be OK. thanks for your help
> --
> grapes
>

> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Vista and XP are limited to 32 GB when creating a FAT32 partition. If you
>> want to use partitions bigger than 32 GB with FAT32 you will need to use
>> third party program to format the partitions.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...eeware&met a=
>>
>> I use Acronis Disk Director but it is not free.
>>
>> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing.../diskdirector/
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>>

>> "Craig008" <Craig008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i am having a problem with formating a couple of external HDDs to FAT
>> >for
>> >use
>> > with PS3, vista will only allow me to format them to NTFS, is there
>> > another
>> > way of formating them
>> > --
>> > grapes

Donald L McDaniel

Re: external HDD format to FAT/FAT32
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:54:01 -0800, Craig008
<Craig008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i am having a problem with formating a couple of external HDDs to FAT for use
>with PS3, vista will only allow me to format them to NTFS, is there another
>way of formating them

Make your partitions SMALLER than 32GB, and you will be able to format them as
FAT/FAT32.

This is because Vista will NOT allow one to create a FAT32 partition LARGER than
32GB.

Sorry, friend.

--

Donald L. McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup.
Carlos

RE: external HDD format to FAT/FAT32
This is the tool you are looking for:
CompuApps SwissKnife V3.22
http://www.compuapps.com/Download/sw...swissknife.htm
It will allow you to format jumbo size partitions in FAT32.
Carlos

"Craig008" wrote:

> i am having a problem with formating a couple of external HDDs to FAT for use
> with PS3, vista will only allow me to format them to NTFS, is there another
> way of formating them
> --
> grapes

Craig008

RE: external HDD format to FAT/FAT32
yeh tried that, it didnt work for some reason but found this instead
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197
--
grapes

"Carlos" wrote:

> This is the tool you are looking for:
> CompuApps SwissKnife V3.22
> http://www.compuapps.com/Download/sw...swissknife.htm
> It will allow you to format jumbo size partitions in FAT32.
> Carlos
>
> "Craig008" wrote:
>
> > i am having a problem with formating a couple of external HDDs to FAT for use
> > with PS3, vista will only allow me to format them to NTFS, is there another
> > way of formating them
> > --
> > grapes

dmex

Donald L McDaniel;546573 Wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:54:01 -0800, Craig008
> <Craig008@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > >
> > >i am having a problem with formating a couple of external HDDs to FAT

> > for use
> > >with PS3, vista will only allow me to format them to NTFS, is there

> > another
> > >way of formating them > >

> Make your partitions SMALLER than 32GB, and you will be able to
> format them as
> FAT/FAT32.
>
> This is because Vista will NOT allow one to create a FAT32 partition
> LARGER than
> 32GB.
>
> Sorry, friend.
>
> --
>
> Donald L. McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup.

This is a old thread but all this wrong infomation must be cleared
up....

Vista can format using FAT/FAT32 and it works with any USB device of
ANY size using DOS...

just type *format /FS:FAT32 x:*

replace x with the drive letter and Vista will format the device
without any issues.

Steven

--
dmex

'[image:
http://messenger.services.live.com/users/f363aea2e3644117@apps.messenger.live.com/presenceimage?mkt=en-AU]'
(http://settings.messenger.live.com/C....com&mkt=en-AU)
Double

Re: external HDD format to FAT/FAT32

How do you fat32 format a Notebook 160GB HDD in an external case? I
tried the cmd method above and after it formatted for over an hour it
said it was to large.

--
Double
PaulM

Re: external HDD format to FAT/FAT32
You can not format a drive over 32 Gb in Fat 32.
You have to format in NTFS.

www.paulsxp.com
www.paulsxp.com/forum
www.supportspace.com/home/home.s2?aiu=paulm