max. mem. Vista can see/use?

Joe

max. mem. Vista can see/use?
I keep hearing that Vista can't really make use of 4 gigs of RAM? Is that
true?

Joe

SimRacer

RE: max. mem. Vista can see/use?
Depends on the version. With the 32 bit version of Vista thats true, its
limited just like the 32 bit version of XP was. But when you move to a system
that can run the 64 bit version it then depends on which 64 bit version of
Vista. It grows to I believe 8 gigs with the basic Home edition all the way
to 128 gig with the Buisness and Ultimate versions of Vista. I could be wrong
on the Home version but know my Ultimate version supports 128 gigs.

"Joe" wrote:

> I keep hearing that Vista can't really make use of 4 gigs of RAM? Is that
> true?
>
> Joe

Dominic Payer

Re: max. mem. Vista can see/use?
See "Processor and memory support" at
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...ions_final.asp

"Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>I keep hearing that Vista can't really make use of 4 gigs of RAM? Is that
>true?
>
> Joe

JW

Re: max. mem. Vista can see/use?
Here is a link to the MS KB article on 4GB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

"Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>I keep hearing that Vista can't really make use of 4 gigs of RAM? Is that
>true?
>
> Joe

Donald L McDaniel

Re: max. mem. Vista can see/use?
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 07:35:00 -0800, SimRacer
<SimRacer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Depends on the version. With the 32 bit version of Vista thats true, its
>limited just like the 32 bit version of XP was. But when you move to a system
>that can run the 64 bit version it then depends on which 64 bit version of
>Vista. It grows to I believe 8 gigs with the basic Home edition all the way
>to 128 gig with the Buisness and Ultimate versions of Vista. I could be wrong
>on the Home version but know my Ultimate version supports 128 gigs.
>
>"Joe" wrote:
>
>> I keep hearing that Vista can't really make use of 4 gigs of RAM? Is that
>> true?
>>
>> Joe

Under Vista x32, less than the full amount of memory will show if you have 4GB
installed. I currently have 4GB installed, and my system shows only 3.4GB main
memory.

This is true for both XP and Vista Ultimate.

--

Donald L. McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup.
Bob Parker

Re: max. mem. Vista can see/use?
Dominic,

According to that page, Vista Ultimate 32-bit edition supports "Max Physical
RAM" on 32-bit systems and 128 GB+ on x64 systems. This article is clearly
dated and inaccurate, as evidenced by the many, many posts here in the
forums and the direct user experiences many of us have encountered with 32
bit Vista. Anyone reading it should note that it is from September 2005,
long before Vista was released in its final form, and the features and specs
listed in the article are nowhere near accurate compared to what was
actually released and available today.

"Dominic Payer" <dominic@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> See "Processor and memory support" at
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...ions_final.asp
>

> "Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>>I keep hearing that Vista can't really make use of 4 gigs of RAM? Is that
>>true?
>>
>> Joe

Jane C

Re: max. mem. Vista can see/use?
Hello Bob,

Yes, that article is incorrect regarding 32 bit editions of Vista. The
maximum RAM supported by any 32 bit edition of Vista is 4GB.

Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User