USB webcam disappears when hub is connected

drbob

USB webcam disappears when hub is connected
The HP Pavilion dv9565ea (nvidia chipset) laptop has a built in webcam
that hangs off the USB bus. If I boot the machine connected to a 7 port
(powered)usb 2.0 hub the webcam isn't listed in device manager and
cannot be accessed at all.

The webcam will only reappear after disappearing if the laptop is shut
down and all power removed (battery out, power lead disconnected).
Thereafter booting with the hub disconnected results in the webcam
working. I've tried two different hubs (a cheap no brand hub and an
expensive belkin hub) with the same result.

Could this be a problem with vista? Any suggestions on how to further
diagnose or correct this issue would be much appreciated.
SimRacer

RE: USB webcam disappears when hub is connected
Don't think its a problem with Vista, my webcam works fine running off a
powered USB 2.0 hub. It may be more of a problem that the software that runs
the camera is looking to the spot where the camera was hooked up to during
the software setup.

SimRacer wrote:
> Don't think its a problem with Vista, my webcam works fine running off a
> powered USB 2.0 hub. It may be more of a problem that the software that runs
> the camera is looking to the spot where the camera was hooked up to during
> the software setup.

It's a built in webcam so it's always connected to the same (internal)
usb port. Booting up with the hub connected causes the webcam not to
appear in device manager as described in my original post. Things
connected to the hub work fine.
Rodney Farmer

Re: USB webcam disappears when hub is connected
I sometimes have to put my HP pavilion into Sleep mode to get the built in
cam to work - this is the only workaround I have found.

Rod
"drbob" <drbob@spamblock.gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Z099j.149255$Hq5.35528@fe04.news.easynews.com ...
> The HP Pavilion dv9565ea (nvidia chipset) laptop has a built in webcam
> that hangs off the USB bus. If I boot the machine connected to a 7 port
> (powered)usb 2.0 hub the webcam isn't listed in device manager and
> cannot be accessed at all.
>
> The webcam will only reappear after disappearing if the laptop is shut
> down and all power removed (battery out, power lead disconnected).
> Thereafter booting with the hub disconnected results in the webcam
> working. I've tried two different hubs (a cheap no brand hub and an
> expensive belkin hub) with the same result.
>
> Could this be a problem with vista? Any suggestions on how to further
> diagnose or correct this issue would be much appreciated.

awesomedarksun

Re: USB webcam disappears when hub is connected

i have an hp dv9700t with intel chipset.

I notice the same thing but only when connecting an apple USB keyboard
(with a built in hub). Which uses a lot of power,perhaps the device is
not activating due to a its power consumption.

1.) how much power is the USB hub using (in device manager)?
2.) how many devices are connected?

--
awesomedarksun
Hot-text

Re: USB webcam disappears when hub is connected

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1216

A Apple is A Apple you need support at a Apple!!!!