"The Audio Service is not running"

Feeta

"The Audio Service is not running"
This is the message I get when I hold my pointer over the volume symbol on my
taskbar. When I click on the symbol, the volume mixer is not available and
when I click on one of the othe choices (playback devices, recording devices,
sounds) I get a pop up message asking me if I want to enable the Windows
Audio Service. I go through the whole thing and when I get to the sound
window, it says the speakers are working and the microphone is working, but I
can't hear anything and the volume symbol has an 'x' on it. When I go to see
which services are running on my computer in the task manager, is says
'Audiosrv' and 'AudioEndpointBuilder' are stopped, and when I try to start
the services, it says error. I have a Dell Latitude D630 notebook running on
vista ultimate 32-bit,, have had it since August, and the sound has worked
fine until yesterday. Any help?
Feeta

RE: "The Audio Service is not running"
I think my audiosrv.dll file is corrupted, I'm guessing that's the stem of
the problem, is there anyway to fix it? When I try to edit it, it says I
don't have permission, even though I am administrator on the computer.

Thanks

"Feeta" wrote:

> This is the message I get when I hold my pointer over the volume symbol on my
> taskbar. When I click on the symbol, the volume mixer is not available and
> when I click on one of the othe choices (playback devices, recording devices,
> sounds) I get a pop up message asking me if I want to enable the Windows
> Audio Service. I go through the whole thing and when I get to the sound
> window, it says the speakers are working and the microphone is working, but I
> can't hear anything and the volume symbol has an 'x' on it. When I go to see
> which services are running on my computer in the task manager, is says
> 'Audiosrv' and 'AudioEndpointBuilder' are stopped, and when I try to start
> the services, it says error. I have a Dell Latitude D630 notebook running on
> vista ultimate 32-bit,, have had it since August, and the sound has worked
> fine until yesterday. Any help?

Thelonious

Re: "The Audio Service is not running"

I have a similar problem - since 1.1.2008 the audio service is not
running suddenly and I can't convince it to run. I open the "Sound" icon
in the control panel and see that the sound card is properly installed
and yet there is no sound and the same message apears.

I saw on the Net that many people have similar problems, but Microsoft
keeps quiet.

Any authoritative idea of what to do?

--
Thelonious
Feeta

Re: "The Audio Service is not running"
Hello Thelonious,

I actually fixed my problem I searched the discussion forum and came upon
this thread:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...0-13a18639fa88

basically I had to replace my audiosrv.dll file with one from a pc with
working sound. I'm not sure if it's just a quick fix, but my sound is working

"Thelonious" wrote:

> I have a similar problem - since 1.1.2008 the audio service is not
> running suddenly and I can't convince it to run. I open the "Sound" icon
> in the control panel and see that the sound card is properly installed
> and yet there is no sound and the same message apears.
>
> I saw on the Net that many people have similar problems, but Microsoft
> keeps quiet.
>
> Any authoritative idea of what to do?
>

> --
> Thelonious

Thelonious

Re: "The Audio Service is not running"

Hi
Thanks for the advice, but in my case it did not work - I replaced the
audiosrv.dll file with one received from another computer but the
problem still persists.

Looking at various websites I feel that there is a variety of reasons
for the audio service not working. Mine seem to be related to the
expoiration of some permission that took place on 1.1.2008.

I am comleletely lost now. I use the audio on my computer for a living
and now it does not work for unknown reasons - I paid good money for the
software and hardware and now it does not work. Microsoft does not even
allow you to send them directly a request for help - they leave you out
in the cold !!

--
Thelonious
Feeta

Re: "The Audio Service is not running"
Check if the computer you got the file from runs on vista. When I did it, it
didn't work at first because the file was from a pc running xp. At the time
I didn't think it made a difference, but guess it does.

If that doesn't work out, I'm totally lost too, sorry I can't help anymore
than this tidbit :-\

"Thelonious" wrote:

> Hi
> Thanks for the advice, but in my case it did not work - I replaced the
> audiosrv.dll file with one received from another computer but the
> problem still persists.
>
> Looking at various websites I feel that there is a variety of reasons
> for the audio service not working. Mine seem to be related to the
> expoiration of some permission that took place on 1.1.2008.
>
> I am comleletely lost now. I use the audio on my computer for a living
> and now it does not work for unknown reasons - I paid good money for the
> software and hardware and now it does not work. Microsoft does not even
> allow you to send them directly a request for help - they leave you out
> in the cold !!
>

> --
> Thelonious

Thelonious

Re: "The Audio Service is not running"

Hi
Again thanks for being so helpful, but the file I got is from a Vistta
computer - it is version 6.0.6000.16386 dated 11/2/2006 and it has 303
kb (the XP file is only 42 kb).

I hope someone from Microsoft sees this discussion and intervenes with
an answer.

Thelonious

--
Thelonious
Member

drbob4248 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Audio Service Not Running
I have encountered the identical problem to that of the initial poster in the last week. I have tried replacing audiosrv.dll with one from my laptop (with working sound) but that did not work. I do not have a system restore point far enough back from when the problem began, so that won't work. I really am not interested in reinstalling Windows and all my programs. Does anyone have any other thoughts that might help?
Bob
Colin Barnhorst

Re: "The Audio Service is not running"
It is not neccessary to reinstall any programs if you do an in-place
upgrade. This corresponds to a repair install in XP. While in Vista you
insert the Vista dvd and click on Install Now. Proceed through the prompts,
including providing your product key. You will reach the screen where the
two choices, Custom Install and Upgrade Install, are presented (but Custom
is ghosted). Click on Upgrade and your edition of Vista will upgrade itself
to itself.

This results in a clean reinstall of the OS without disturbing any programs
or files. I suggest you turn off your antivirus scanner first, but other
than that there are no gotchas.

You will have to reactivate if you unchecked the box for "Activate when I
first get on the internet." I think it is better not to activate until you
have finished everything and are satisfied with the installation. Windows
Update will need to download and install the updates from the past year, but
that is no big deal.

"drbob4248" <drbob4248.333nsk@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I have encountered the identical problem to that of the initial poster
> in the last week. I have tried replacing audiosrv.dll with one from my
> laptop (with working sound) but that did not work. I do not have a
> system restore point far enough back from when the problem began, so
> that won't work. I really am not interested in reinstalling Windows and
> all my programs. Does anyone have any other thoughts that might help?
> Bob
>

> --
> drbob4248

Member

drbob4248 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colin,
Thank you for the reply. Fortunately (I think) I found a solution to my problem. I discovered a couple of other threads describing lost audio when using a Logitech Quickcam. I have a Quickcam Fusion, so I uninstalled it. The uninstallation did not resolve the problem. I then restarted the Windows Audio Service and Audio Endpoint Builder using msconfig. After a restart (still no audio but those services stayed running), I reinstalled my Quickcam and my sound was back. We'll see how it goes.
Bob