SLI Problems

oggycompton

SLI Problems
Hello,

I have 2 8800GTS 320mb cards that are installed correctly, are being seen by
device manager and are taking the system memory. However, I am unable to set
the PC to use SLI mode, there is no option in the Nvidia control panel and I
am very stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Peter Lawton

Re: SLI Problems
Is your system board SLI compatible?

Not all boards with two x16 PCI-E slots will run SLI as Nvidia actively
prevent it working for marketing reasons in their drivers on some boards,
although technically it could work on almost any system board.

If your system board is Nvidia SLI approved have you put the SLI bridge
between the two cards?

Also both PCI-E slots need to be running at x8 at least to enable SLI, some
earlier system boards has a set of jumpers to change the two slots from x16,
x4 to x8, x8

Peter Lawton

"oggycompton" <oggycompton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 8800GTS 320mb cards that are installed correctly, are being seen
> by
> device manager and are taking the system memory. However, I am unable to
> set
> the PC to use SLI mode, there is no option in the Nvidia control panel and
> am very stuck.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

oggycompton

Re: SLI Problems
Yes, my board is SLI compatible and I have put the bridge between the cards
in place.

My board is nForce 650i SLI if that helps. As for the x16 thing, I dont know
what you mean with that. Bit of a noob?!?!

Hope this info helps. I have unistalled all nvidia drivers and reinstalled
and still no sli option.

Thanks in advance

"Peter Lawton" wrote:

> Is your system board SLI compatible?
>
> Not all boards with two x16 PCI-E slots will run SLI as Nvidia actively
> prevent it working for marketing reasons in their drivers on some boards,
> although technically it could work on almost any system board.
>
> If your system board is Nvidia SLI approved have you put the SLI bridge
> between the two cards?
>
> Also both PCI-E slots need to be running at x8 at least to enable SLI, some
> earlier system boards has a set of jumpers to change the two slots from x16,
> x4 to x8, x8
>
> Peter Lawton
>
> "oggycompton" <oggycompton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have 2 8800GTS 320mb cards that are installed correctly, are being seen
> > by
> > device manager and are taking the system memory. However, I am unable to
> > set
> > the PC to use SLI mode, there is no option in the Nvidia control panel and
> > am very stuck.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks

Peter Lawton

Re: SLI Problems
Ah right, you may have to physically set your System board in that case,
here's a page with a picture of an MSI board using the same chipset:-

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=2099&page=2 (near the
bottom of the page)

> Yes, my board is SLI compatible and I have put the bridge between the
> cards
> in place.
>
> My board is nForce 650i SLI if that helps. As for the x16 thing, I dont
> know
> what you mean with that. Bit of a noob?!?!
>
> Hope this info helps. I have unistalled all nvidia drivers and reinstalled
> and still no sli option.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> "Peter Lawton" wrote:
>
>> Is your system board SLI compatible?
>>
>> Not all boards with two x16 PCI-E slots will run SLI as Nvidia actively
>> prevent it working for marketing reasons in their drivers on some boards,
>> although technically it could work on almost any system board.
>>
>> If your system board is Nvidia SLI approved have you put the SLI bridge
>> between the two cards?
>>
>> Also both PCI-E slots need to be running at x8 at least to enable SLI,
>> some
>> earlier system boards has a set of jumpers to change the two slots from
>> x16,
>> x4 to x8, x8
>>
>> Peter Lawton
>>
>> "oggycompton" <oggycompton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have 2 8800GTS 320mb cards that are installed correctly, are being
>> > seen
>> > by
>> > device manager and are taking the system memory. However, I am unable
>> > set
>> > the PC to use SLI mode, there is no option in the Nvidia control panel
>> > and
>> > am very stuck.
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks

oggycompton

Re: SLI Problems
Thanks for your continued help Peter, but I have already set up the system
board to enable SLI, this is confusing to me as well because I appear to have
done everything correctly

Anymore ideas?

"Peter Lawton" wrote:

> Ah right, you may have to physically set your System board in that case,
> here's a page with a picture of an MSI board using the same chipset:-
>
> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=2099&page=2 (near the
> bottom of the page)
>
> Peter Lawton
>
> "oggycompton" <oggycompton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, my board is SLI compatible and I have put the bridge between the
> > cards
> > in place.
> >
> > My board is nForce 650i SLI if that helps. As for the x16 thing, I dont
> > know
> > what you mean with that. Bit of a noob?!?!
> >
> > Hope this info helps. I have unistalled all nvidia drivers and reinstalled
> > and still no sli option.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > "Peter Lawton" wrote:
> >
> >> Is your system board SLI compatible?
> >>
> >> Not all boards with two x16 PCI-E slots will run SLI as Nvidia actively
> >> prevent it working for marketing reasons in their drivers on some boards,
> >> although technically it could work on almost any system board.
> >>
> >> If your system board is Nvidia SLI approved have you put the SLI bridge
> >> between the two cards?
> >>
> >> Also both PCI-E slots need to be running at x8 at least to enable SLI,
> >> some
> >> earlier system boards has a set of jumpers to change the two slots from
> >> x16,
> >> x4 to x8, x8
> >>
> >> Peter Lawton

Peter Lawton

Re: SLI Problems
Sound's like you've got everything set right

The only other thing I can suggest is to re-install the latest drivers from
the Nvidia site and when you re-boot you should get a pop up message asking
if you'd like to enable SLI

> Thanks for your continued help Peter, but I have already set up the system
> board to enable SLI, this is confusing to me as well because I appear to
> have
> done everything correctly
>
> Anymore ideas?
>
> "Peter Lawton" wrote:
>
>> Ah right, you may have to physically set your System board in that case,
>> here's a page with a picture of an MSI board using the same chipset:-
>>
>> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=2099&page=2 (near the
>> bottom of the page)
>>
>> Peter Lawton
>>
>> "oggycompton" <oggycompton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, my board is SLI compatible and I have put the bridge between the
>> > cards
>> > in place.
>> >
>> > My board is nForce 650i SLI if that helps. As for the x16 thing, I dont
>> > know
>> > what you mean with that. Bit of a noob?!?!
>> >
>> > Hope this info helps. I have unistalled all nvidia drivers and
>> > reinstalled
>> > and still no sli option.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance

oggycompton

Re: SLI Problems
That was the box I was hoping to see but it has never come up. Could it have
anyhting to do with the cards being made by different manufacturers? Even
though they are both 8800GTS's

Thanks and any other advice.

"Peter Lawton" wrote:

> Sound's like you've got everything set right
>
> The only other thing I can suggest is to re-install the latest drivers from
> the Nvidia site and when you re-boot you should get a pop up message asking
> if you'd like to enable SLI
>
> Peter Lawton
>
> "oggycompton" <oggycompton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your continued help Peter, but I have already set up the system
> > board to enable SLI, this is confusing to me as well because I appear to
> > have
> > done everything correctly
> >
> > Anymore ideas?
> >
> > "Peter Lawton" wrote:
> >
> >> Ah right, you may have to physically set your System board in that case,
> >> here's a page with a picture of an MSI board using the same chipset:-
> >>
> >> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=2099&page=2 (near the
> >> bottom of the page)
> >>
> >> Peter Lawton

DC187

Re: SLI Problems

As I understand it both cards have to be identical and have to use the
same BIOS version on both cards.

I don't what you guys are on about a pop up message to enable SLI, I've
never had that, but the option has always been there in the nVidia
control panel to enable SLI.

Have you tried asking around on the SLI Zone forums @ 'SLI Zone -
Gaming PC, Gaming Computer, Build a PC'
(http://www.slizone.com/page/home.html)

--
DC187

http://www.genericlan.net
PC Spec: 2x AMD FX-74, ASUS L1N64-SLI WS, 4GB OCZ Reaper DDRII, 2x
500GB Samsung T166 SATAII, 2x BFG 8800GTX OC 768MB (SLI), Creative X-Fi
Fatl1ty, Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU, Thermaltake Armor Extreme Case
oggycompton

Re: SLI Problems
Presumably as they are made by different companies the BIOS is different?
They are both 8800GTS's though.

In Nvidia control panel there is no enable SLI option, and I have been on
the forums that you suggested and they seem stumped. I know which option it
is you specify as I have had SLI up and running on an XP system.

Anymore ideas?

"DC187" wrote:

> As I understand it both cards have to be identical and have to use the
> same BIOS version on both cards.
>
> I don't what you guys are on about a pop up message to enable SLI, I've
> never had that, but the option has always been there in the nVidia
> control panel to enable SLI.
>
> Have you tried asking around on the SLI Zone forums @ 'SLI Zone -
> Gaming PC, Gaming Computer, Build a PC'
> (http://www.slizone.com/page/home.html)
>

> --
> DC187
>
> http://www.genericlan.net
> PC Spec: 2x AMD FX-74, ASUS L1N64-SLI WS, 4GB OCZ Reaper DDRII, 2x
> 500GB Samsung T166 SATAII, 2x BFG 8800GTX OC 768MB (SLI), Creative X-Fi
> Fatl1ty, Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU, Thermaltake Armor Extreme Case

DC187

Re: SLI Problems

It sounds likely then it is down to the cards being made by different
manufactures, I presume they both have the same amount of mem on the
cards, i.e. both 320Mb cards or 640Mb cards?

If it is down to that maybe you can flash the bios of one card with the
one on the other, I've never done such a thing, nor would I be confident
that it would work.

Safest option would be to replace one of the cards for one that matches
the remaining card.