MAXTOR ONETOUCH III MINI EDITION External HD Problem

Sudsy

MAXTOR ONETOUCH III MINI EDITION External HD Problem
I have been using this external hard drive for several months with no
problem. This week I started receiving errors stating my back up failed.
When I checked the system was trying to back up to D Vista Recovery Drive.
When checking my computer-the external hard drive is not listed. I have
checked everything I can per the instructions on the Seagate website. My
system states the drivers are fine, everything is fine, except the external
drive doesnt appear. I was going to unistall all of the Maxtor applications
and reinstall. I was able to uninstall one, but I get an error when trying
to remove Maxtor Encryption or One Touch III. It tells me to complete the
installation. Nothing is running for this hd in processes. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.
Gary G. Little

Re: MAXTOR ONETOUCH III MINI EDITION External HD Problem
Under Disk Drives in Device Manager, there is no listing for your Maxtor
drive with "USB Device" appended? Under the USB controllers is there a USB
Mass Storage Device?

I assume you have done numerous system restarts and even powered on and off.
If not ... try it.

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little

"Sudsy" <Sudsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been using this external hard drive for several months with no
> problem. This week I started receiving errors stating my back up failed.
> When I checked the system was trying to back up to D Vista Recovery Drive.
> When checking my computer-the external hard drive is not listed. I have
> checked everything I can per the instructions on the Seagate website. My
> system states the drivers are fine, everything is fine, except the
> external
> drive doesnt appear. I was going to unistall all of the Maxtor
> applications
> and reinstall. I was able to uninstall one, but I get an error when
> trying
> to remove Maxtor Encryption or One Touch III. It tells me to complete the
> installation. Nothing is running for this hd in processes. Any
> suggestions
> would be appreciated.

mfsmithabq

Re: MAXTOR ONETOUCH III MINI EDITION External HD Problem

I have also had problems using the Maxtor One Touch III software on a
VISTA 64 bit system. The problem with drive recognition seems to have
been that the registry update didn't install correctly or somehow became
corrupted. The system thought that the device was already installed, so
it would not re-install successfully. To solve the problem, I opened
the device manager, selected the Maxtor external drive (which did show
up with a yellow cirlce and exclamation point-indicating a problem with
the drive) and then clicked the "uninstall" button in the device
manager. I then physically disconnected the drive, re-booted the
computer and then reconnected the USB connection to the Maxtor drive.
This time it automatically installed the drive correctly and I am now
able to see it as well as successfully read and write to it. I have
not, however, been able to get the Maxtor backup software to run
successfully on Vista 64 Home Premium. The Maxtor site says that their
software is only good for Vista 32 bit. So for now I am using the
Windows Vista backup utility and directing it to the Maxtor drive. The
problem is that unlike the Maxtor backup utility, the VISTA backup files
are in some special format and you can't easily explore them and cherry
pick files from them. Hope this helps!

--
mfsmithabq
kevvyb

Re: MAXTOR ONETOUCH III MINI EDITION External HD Problem

I know this is an old thread but lots of people may be in the same boat
with older Maxtor One Touch external drives. The Onetouch back up
software will not work with 64bit.

I found a fantastic little back up and imaging app for £20 (Macrium
Reflect) that stores incremental backups in a way which allows
individual files and folders to be accessed directly.

The disk imaging part if good too and that is free if that's all you
need.

--
kevvyb