Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Newly installed memory

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Lynne
 

Posts: n/a
Newly installed memory
I had 1GB of ram installed on my Vista machine with the Asus M2N32-SLI
Deluxe motherboard (2x512) and installed two 1GB DIMMs today for a total of
3GB. Unfortunately the BIOS sees 3072MB installed and 2047MB usable and of
course Vista is only seeing the 2 gigs. How exactly do I get the BIOS to
recognize the whole enchilada? By the way, I got the chips from Crucial and
their memory scanner sees all three gigs. ?????

Thanks

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Brett I. Holcomb
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Newly installed memory
Check the knowledge base for articles on this. In short, the system
sees all 3 gigs but uses some of it for hardware, etc. so you don't
get the whole 3 gig for programs.

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:49:17 -0700, "Lynne" <LynneL@cableone.net>
wrote:

>I had 1GB of ram installed on my Vista machine with the Asus M2N32-SLI
>Deluxe motherboard (2x512) and installed two 1GB DIMMs today for a total of
>3GB. Unfortunately the BIOS sees 3072MB installed and 2047MB usable and of
>course Vista is only seeing the 2 gigs. How exactly do I get the BIOS to
>recognize the whole enchilada? By the way, I got the chips from Crucial and
>their memory scanner sees all three gigs. ?????
>
>Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Lynne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Newly installed memory
So you are saying the BIOS is seeing all the RAM and is reporting only 2 GB
available, but it may be using the other 1 GB for installed hardware? I can
live with that, I guess. I can already see a performance improvement so I
guess I can't complain.

"Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:9up3m3lub00rcsjbsut9n9421q7tep7s0q@4ax.com...
> Check the knowledge base for articles on this. In short, the system
> sees all 3 gigs but uses some of it for hardware, etc. so you don't
> get the whole 3 gig for programs.
>
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:49:17 -0700, "Lynne" <LynneL@cableone.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I had 1GB of ram installed on my Vista machine with the Asus M2N32-SLI
>>Deluxe motherboard (2x512) and installed two 1GB DIMMs today for a total
>>of
>>3GB. Unfortunately the BIOS sees 3072MB installed and 2047MB usable and of
>>course Vista is only seeing the 2 gigs. How exactly do I get the BIOS to
>>recognize the whole enchilada? By the way, I got the chips from Crucial
>>and
>>their memory scanner sees all three gigs. ?????
>>
>>Thanks


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Bob J
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Newly installed memory
Does your graphics card have integrated RAM or does it have it's own RAM, if
integrated part of installed RAM is being utilized by graphics and other
devices.

--
Regards
Bob J
If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
another source,post back & let us know.
Then we all benefit.



"Lynne" wrote:

> I had 1GB of ram installed on my Vista machine with the Asus M2N32-SLI
> Deluxe motherboard (2x512) and installed two 1GB DIMMs today for a total of
> 3GB. Unfortunately the BIOS sees 3072MB installed and 2047MB usable and of
> course Vista is only seeing the 2 gigs. How exactly do I get the BIOS to
> recognize the whole enchilada? By the way, I got the chips from Crucial and
> their memory scanner sees all three gigs. ?????
>
> Thanks
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Lynne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Newly installed memory
Bob J wrote:
> Does your graphics card have integrated RAM or does it have it's own RAM, if
> integrated part of installed RAM is being utilized by graphics and other
> devices.
>


No, my graphics cards have their own ram. Must be the other devices, I
guess.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Dustin Harper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Newly installed memory
Windows 32 bit has a 4 GB limit, and should show all 3 GB of RAM. Try this:

Go to start, type 'msconfig' and press enter (without the ''s). Click on
'Boot', then 'Advanced Options'. In there, see if 'Maximum Memory' is
checked. If it is, uncheck it. That will fix it so that Vista will see
all 3 GB of your memory.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com


Lynne wrote:
> I had 1GB of ram installed on my Vista machine with the Asus M2N32-SLI
> Deluxe motherboard (2x512) and installed two 1GB DIMMs today for a total
> of 3GB. Unfortunately the BIOS sees 3072MB installed and 2047MB usable
> and of course Vista is only seeing the 2 gigs. How exactly do I get the
> BIOS to recognize the whole enchilada? By the way, I got the chips from
> Crucial and their memory scanner sees all three gigs. ?????
>
> Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Lynne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Newly installed memory
I tried that just now. The box is not checked and when I did try to check it
it wouldn't go past the 2048 MB limit. As I said, in my BIOS, it shows 3072
installed and 2047 usable. The trick is probably to figure out how to get
the BIOS to recognize the whole thing as usable. But I don't really know how
to do that.


"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
news:OARRnKjPIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Windows 32 bit has a 4 GB limit, and should show all 3 GB of RAM. Try
> this:
>
> Go to start, type 'msconfig' and press enter (without the ''s). Click on
> 'Boot', then 'Advanced Options'. In there, see if 'Maximum Memory' is
> checked. If it is, uncheck it. That will fix it so that Vista will see all
> 3 GB of your memory.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
>
> Lynne wrote:
>> I had 1GB of ram installed on my Vista machine with the Asus M2N32-SLI
>> Deluxe motherboard (2x512) and installed two 1GB DIMMs today for a total
>> of 3GB. Unfortunately the BIOS sees 3072MB installed and 2047MB usable
>> and of course Vista is only seeing the 2 gigs. How exactly do I get the
>> BIOS to recognize the whole enchilada? By the way, I got the chips from
>> Crucial and their memory scanner sees all three gigs. ?????
>>
>> Thanks


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
roy69
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Newly installed memory

Try moveing the dimms around on the motherboard. Your hardware does not
utilise 1gb of ram to run. The only time you will utilise ram for h/w
is with a level 3 cache.


--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2007
Lynne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Newly installed memory
I tried this and it made no difference. In the BIOS it still says 3072
installed and 2047 usable and Vista is still reporting 2048.

"roy69" <roy69.31lmp9@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:roy69.31lmp9@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Try moveing the dimms around on the motherboard. Your hardware does not
> utilise 1gb of ram to run. The only time you will utilise ram for h/w
> is with a level 3 cache.
>
>
> --
> roy69
>
> - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> - Abit IP35 Pro
> - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
> - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
> - CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
> - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
> - Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2007
Lynne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Newly installed memory
A very odd thing happened today. Because of it I can now see all my RAM. I
changed a couple of settings for RAM in my BIOS and when I tried to
reboot -- I couldn't. No beeps. No nothing. I had to take out the battery
and reset the CMOS. After I reset the time in the BIOS and reset the whole
thing to defaults, all the RAM showed up. It also shows up in Vista. As I
said, very weird, but now I can stop worrying about why it wasn't
recognized.

Thanks to all who responded to my original post.


"Lynne" <LynneL@cableone.net> wrote in message
news:ONCNUf2PIHA.3400@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I tried this and it made no difference. In the BIOS it still says 3072
>installed and 2047 usable and Vista is still reporting 2048.
>
> "roy69" <roy69.31lmp9@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:roy69.31lmp9@no-mx.forums.net...
>>
>> Try moveing the dimms around on the motherboard. Your hardware does not
>> utilise 1gb of ram to run. The only time you will utilise ram for h/w
>> is with a level 3 cache.
>>
>>
>> --
>> roy69
>>
>> - Core 2 Quad Q6600
>> - Abit IP35 Pro
>> - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
>> - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
>> - CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
>> - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
>> - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
>> - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
>> - Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU

>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newly installed Vista x64 - Hard drive slow? Doo microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 11-21-2007 11:53
Newly installed software keeps reinstalling itself after I run it. Spartan117.Halo microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 10-11-2007 03:00
Transferring media files to my newly installed hard drive Daren microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 10-08-2007 13:59
highlight newly installed programs... Grail microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 08-21-2007 01:06
Can't access Internet Explorer 7 with newly installed Vista JJ microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 05-06-2007 11:58




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:11.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120