USB keyboard and mouse not working

rtdavide@yahoo.com

USB keyboard and mouse not working
well....not intially anyway.
Everyday when i come in and boot up my computer, the usb keyboard and
mouse do not work.
i have a serial wacom tablet that loads so i can move the cursor, so i
restart the computer and then everything works.

the keyboard and mouse are both plugged into the usb hub on my
monitor, while everything else is plugged directly into the usb cards
in my pc.
i don't know if that would be the problem, but i don't know why it
would be, since they all work fine on the restart.

but given that it takes about 7-8 minutes to boot up and load
everything in vista, it is really a pain to have to restart and do it
all again.
any ideas what the problem might be or where to look?

thanks,

dave

tfw48079

RE: USB keyboard and mouse not working
Plug keybord/mouse into Usb on case.

"rtdavide@yahoo.com" wrote:

> well....not intially anyway.
> Everyday when i come in and boot up my computer, the usb keyboard and
> mouse do not work.
> i have a serial wacom tablet that loads so i can move the cursor, so i
> restart the computer and then everything works.
>
> the keyboard and mouse are both plugged into the usb hub on my
> monitor, while everything else is plugged directly into the usb cards
> in my pc.
> i don't know if that would be the problem, but i don't know why it
> would be, since they all work fine on the restart.
>
> but given that it takes about 7-8 minutes to boot up and load
> everything in vista, it is really a pain to have to restart and do it
> all again.
> any ideas what the problem might be or where to look?
>
> thanks,
>

> dave

rtdavide@yahoo.com

Re: USB keyboard and mouse not working
On Dec 13, 9:15 am, tfw48079 <tfw48...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Plug keybord/mouse into Usb on case.

well, i have an issue with that... the cords aren't long enough to
reach the case with the way the desk is set up.... and the desk is
built specifically for this space. buying usb extensions would seem
like the same thing.
is there any particular reason why this needs to be done?

i know the standard answer for usb is always to plug them in as
directly as possible, which makes sense, but why would it detect them
on a restart, but not on an initial boot?

dave
Rojo Habe

Re: USB keyboard and mouse not working
Depending on the device, some need to draw power from the USB port. I have
a Razer Diamondback gaming mouse that will only work from a powered USB
port. Most hubs do not provide power. You can buy powered USB hubs. This
could be worth a try if they're not too expensive. Bear in mind you'll have
to find another mains socket for it though.

USB extension cords might be a more practical (and cheaper) alternative.

Most ordinary mice do not draw as much power as mine, by the way. My old
Intellimouse Explorer worked fine from one of the USB ports built into the
keyboard. The keyboard should be plugged directly into the PC though,
especially if you have a BIOS that's able to detect it.

Another good reason to have your most important devices plugged directly
into the PC is that hubs introduce delay. Your keyboard and mouse are vital
to the operation of your PC and should be among the first things it finds.

How many USB ports (not counting the hub) does your PC have? There may be
some spare headers on your motherboard enabling you to add some more.

rtdavide@yahoo.com

On Dec 13, 11:07 am, "Rojo Habe" <n...@m.thx> wrote:
> USB extension cords might be a more practical (and cheaper) alternative.
>
> Another good reason to have your most important devices plugged directly
> into the PC is that hubs introduce delay. Your keyboard and mouse are vital
> to the operation of your PC and should be among the first things it finds.
>
> How many USB ports (not counting the hub) does your PC have? There may be
> some spare headers on your motherboard enabling you to add some more.

4 but they are the old 1.0 ports. though i suppose a keyboard and
mouse probably don't need the extra throughput of the 2.0
i do however have two 2.0 PCI cards though with a total of 8 slots
available. 5 are being used, but one of those goes to the monitor to
link to it's hub. if i'm not going to end up using it, then i will
have only 4 used.
OK, so i guess i'm going to have to get some extension cords because
the current setup will not reach.

thanks.