I've got a major problem that has me stumped...! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

My Place

I've got a major problem that has me stumped...! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Here's the problem. I just bought from TigerDirect a refurbished
Gateway computer - great power, just like I wanted, until I got it in
last night. When I got to the plugging my old monitor in, a 3 row 15
pin VGA, it was capped off with a plastic cap and tape saying "Do Not
Use." So, I called a friend of mine who is a MicroSoft Beta tester,
has a call in 2 hour radio program every Saturday (for 13+ years now)
on our local station that reaches out about 400 miles. Anyway, after
a rather short discussion, he describes a DVI connection , and BINGO,
that's what I have.

Does anyone know of a work around so I can keep my monitor, like
putting a different video card in? I really don't like the idea of
going to a flat screen. I have one PCI slot open, really two, cause I
can remove the modem, since I'm on cable.

Maybe there is an adapter which will allow me to use my old monitor
and plug into the DVI socket, like the old null modem cables and
gender changers, or something else along these lines.

This computer has a TV Tuner card in it which I really wanted, not to
watch TV on, but to record a lot of programs I have on VHS as well as
some documentaries, and put these to DVD. So, I don't want to do
anything that will cause a conflict with this card.

I sent Gateway support an email last night, and here it is, 11:25
P.M., and no reply yet.

Thanks a million.
Spirit

Re: I've got a major problem that has me stumped...! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
http://www.nextag.com/dvi-to-vga-adapter/search-html

<My Place> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Here's the problem. I just bought from TigerDirect a refurbished
> Gateway computer - great power, just like I wanted, until I got it in
> last night. When I got to the plugging my old monitor in, a 3 row 15
> pin VGA, it was capped off with a plastic cap and tape saying "Do Not
> Use." So, I called a friend of mine who is a MicroSoft Beta tester,
> has a call in 2 hour radio program every Saturday (for 13+ years now)
> on our local station that reaches out about 400 miles. Anyway, after
> a rather short discussion, he describes a DVI connection , and BINGO,
> that's what I have.
>
> Does anyone know of a work around so I can keep my monitor, like
> putting a different video card in? I really don't like the idea of
> going to a flat screen. I have one PCI slot open, really two, cause I
> can remove the modem, since I'm on cable.
>
> Maybe there is an adapter which will allow me to use my old monitor
> and plug into the DVI socket, like the old null modem cables and
> gender changers, or something else along these lines.
>
> This computer has a TV Tuner card in it which I really wanted, not to
> watch TV on, but to record a lot of programs I have on VHS as well as
> some documentaries, and put these to DVD. So, I don't want to do
> anything that will cause a conflict with this card.
>
> I sent Gateway support an email last night, and here it is, 11:25
> P.M., and no reply yet.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks a million.

JW

Re: I've got a major problem that has me stumped...! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
That adapter will only work if the OP's system has a DVI-I connection and
his graphics card driver supports using it for VGA. If the user manual does
not say it supports a DVI to VGA adapter then it probably does not.
It appears that who ever "refurbished" the system did not repair the VGA
output if that was the cause of the system being returned in the first
place. I think the system should be returned since it apparently does not
meet it's original specifications.

"Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
> http://www.nextag.com/dvi-to-vga-adapter/search-html
>
> <My Place> wrote in message
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Here's the problem. I just bought from TigerDirect a refurbished
>> Gateway computer - great power, just like I wanted, until I got it in
>> last night. When I got to the plugging my old monitor in, a 3 row 15
>> pin VGA, it was capped off with a plastic cap and tape saying "Do Not
>> Use." So, I called a friend of mine who is a MicroSoft Beta tester,
>> has a call in 2 hour radio program every Saturday (for 13+ years now)
>> on our local station that reaches out about 400 miles. Anyway, after
>> a rather short discussion, he describes a DVI connection , and BINGO,
>> that's what I have.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a work around so I can keep my monitor, like
>> putting a different video card in? I really don't like the idea of
>> going to a flat screen. I have one PCI slot open, really two, cause I
>> can remove the modem, since I'm on cable.
>>
>> Maybe there is an adapter which will allow me to use my old monitor
>> and plug into the DVI socket, like the old null modem cables and
>> gender changers, or something else along these lines.
>>
>> This computer has a TV Tuner card in it which I really wanted, not to
>> watch TV on, but to record a lot of programs I have on VHS as well as
>> some documentaries, and put these to DVD. So, I don't want to do
>> anything that will cause a conflict with this card.
>>
>> I sent Gateway support an email last night, and here it is, 11:25
>> P.M., and no reply yet.
>>
>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks a million.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: I've got a major problem that has me stumped...! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
TigerDirect haven't sold you a refurbished computer. They have sold you a
BROKEN computer. Take it back NOW..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"My Place" wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Here's the problem. I just bought from TigerDirect a refurbished
> Gateway computer - great power, just like I wanted, until I got it in
> last night. When I got to the plugging my old monitor in, a 3 row 15
> pin VGA, it was capped off with a plastic cap and tape saying "Do Not
> Use." So, I called a friend of mine who is a MicroSoft Beta tester,
> has a call in 2 hour radio program every Saturday (for 13+ years now)
> on our local station that reaches out about 400 miles. Anyway, after
> a rather short discussion, he describes a DVI connection , and BINGO,
> that's what I have.
>
> Does anyone know of a work around so I can keep my monitor, like
> putting a different video card in? I really don't like the idea of
> going to a flat screen. I have one PCI slot open, really two, cause I
> can remove the modem, since I'm on cable.
>
> Maybe there is an adapter which will allow me to use my old monitor
> and plug into the DVI socket, like the old null modem cables and
> gender changers, or something else along these lines.
>
> This computer has a TV Tuner card in it which I really wanted, not to
> watch TV on, but to record a lot of programs I have on VHS as well as
> some documentaries, and put these to DVD. So, I don't want to do
> anything that will cause a conflict with this card.
>
> I sent Gateway support an email last night, and here it is, 11:25
> P.M., and no reply yet.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks a million.

My Place

Re: I've got a major problem that has me stumped...! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:04:36 -0800, "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote:

Hi JW,

>That adapter will only work if the OP's system has a DVI-I connection and
>his graphics card driver supports using it for VGA. If the user manual does
>not say it supports a DVI to VGA adapter then it probably does not.
>It appears that who ever "refurbished" the system did not repair the VGA
>output if that was the cause of the system being returned in the first
>place. I think the system should be returned since it apparently does not
>meet it's original specifications.

Thanks for the above info. Your opinion please: instead of using a
VGA/DVI adapter, would it be "ok" to remove the modem and put a VGA
video card in that PCI slot? The only "problem" I see right now is
there is a connection (wires) running from the top of the DVI card to
a plug on the motherboard. I can find out what this connection is
next Monday, as Ira is leaving tomorrow for his daughter's wedding and
won't return until late Sunday. Unfortunately, I didn't get a user
manual.

Thanks.

>"Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
>> http://www.nextag.com/dvi-to-vga-adapter/search-html
>>
>> <My Place> wrote in message
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Here's the problem. I just bought from TigerDirect a refurbished
>>> Gateway computer - great power, just like I wanted, until I got it in
>>> last night. When I got to the plugging my old monitor in, a 3 row 15
>>> pin VGA, it was capped off with a plastic cap and tape saying "Do Not
>>> Use." So, I called a friend of mine who is a MicroSoft Beta tester,
>>> has a call in 2 hour radio program every Saturday (for 13+ years now)
>>> on our local station that reaches out about 400 miles. Anyway, after
>>> a rather short discussion, he describes a DVI connection , and BINGO,
>>> that's what I have.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a work around so I can keep my monitor, like
>>> putting a different video card in? I really don't like the idea of
>>> going to a flat screen. I have one PCI slot open, really two, cause I
>>> can remove the modem, since I'm on cable.
>>>
>>> Maybe there is an adapter which will allow me to use my old monitor
>>> and plug into the DVI socket, like the old null modem cables and
>>> gender changers, or something else along these lines.
>>>
>>> This computer has a TV Tuner card in it which I really wanted, not to
>>> watch TV on, but to record a lot of programs I have on VHS as well as
>>> some documentaries, and put these to DVD. So, I don't want to do
>>> anything that will cause a conflict with this card.
>>>
>>> I sent Gateway support an email last night, and here it is, 11:25
>>> P.M., and no reply yet.
>>>
>>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks a million.

JW

Re: I've got a major problem that has me stumped...! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
The plug is for an additional power connection.
Since you got sold a broken computer I have no idea what would work or not
work. However I think that could just remove either the modem or the DVI
controller card and install a plain old VGA only card.

"My Place" wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:04:36 -0800, "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote:
>

> Hi JW,
>
>>That adapter will only work if the OP's system has a DVI-I connection and
>>his graphics card driver supports using it for VGA. If the user manual
>>does
>>not say it supports a DVI to VGA adapter then it probably does not.
>>It appears that who ever "refurbished" the system did not repair the VGA
>>output if that was the cause of the system being returned in the first
>>place. I think the system should be returned since it apparently does not
>>meet it's original specifications.

> Thanks for the above info. Your opinion please: instead of using a
> VGA/DVI adapter, would it be "ok" to remove the modem and put a VGA
> video card in that PCI slot? The only "problem" I see right now is
> there is a connection (wires) running from the top of the DVI card to
> a plug on the motherboard. I can find out what this connection is
> next Monday, as Ira is leaving tomorrow for his daughter's wedding and
> won't return until late Sunday. Unfortunately, I didn't get a user
> manual.
>
> Thanks.
>

>>"Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
>>news:%23qt$E6UPIHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl.. .
>>> http://www.nextag.com/dvi-to-vga-adapter/search-html

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: I've got a major problem that has me stumped...! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
You must have gotten the computer for a really good price.

I fail to see the point of buying a high grade 'broken' machine into which
you will pay for and install an inferior part. A refurbished machine should
be fixed properly by the vendor, after which they can save on the repair
cost by reducing the warranty terms or similar.

--
Mike Hall - MVP