New PC won't boot

Steve Paddock

New PC won't boot
Not strictly Vista, as I haven't got that far yet

I have just bought a new Medion PC from Tesco. I followed all the
instructions for cabling and connections, but on first switch on, there was
a continual beeping sound. (POST??) There was no display on the monitor, and
the PC wouldn't boot. It sounds as if the disk drives are spinning up. The
beeping continues until the PC is powered down

Anyone any ideas please - before I take it back.

Thanks,

Steve

Violent Ken

Re: New PC won't boot

you can try to identify the problem on this page.

'Computer Post / Beep codes' (http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm)

if you know what kind of BIOS is has it will be easyier

--
Violent Ken

Ultimate x64\Q6600 G0\8800GTS\4Gb Crucial 1066 Ballistix\Gigabyte
P35C-DS3R
roy69

Re: New PC won't boot

Take it back. If you are getting bios beep codes there is a post
problem. This is a hardware error and it is down to tesco to
repair/replace the item under the consumer act free of charge. If you
try to fix it yourself you will invalidate the warrenty.
I dont think it is a post code as I have never heard of a countinual
beep unless there is a cooling problem.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
Richard G. Harper

Re: New PC won't boot
Just take it back. Don't mess with it or you'll make it worse. ;-)

"Steve Paddock" <steve.paddock@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Not strictly Vista, as I haven't got that far yet
>
> I have just bought a new Medion PC from Tesco. I followed all the
> instructions for cabling and connections, but on first switch on, there
> was a continual beeping sound. (POST??) There was no display on the
> monitor, and the PC wouldn't boot. It sounds as if the disk drives are
> spinning up. The beeping continues until the PC is powered down
>
> Anyone any ideas please - before I take it back.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

JW

Re: New PC won't boot
You can count the number of beeps and based on our BIOS you can tell what
part is not working.
If you never see anything on your monitor then I suspect that I suspect that
it is not corrected properly. Maybe it is connected crooked so all pins are
not connected.

"Steve Paddock" <steve.paddock@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Not strictly Vista, as I haven't got that far yet
>
> I have just bought a new Medion PC from Tesco. I followed all the
> instructions for cabling and connections, but on first switch on, there
> was a continual beeping sound. (POST??) There was no display on the
> monitor, and the PC wouldn't boot. It sounds as if the disk drives are
> spinning up. The beeping continues until the PC is powered down
>
> Anyone any ideas please - before I take it back.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Steve Paddock

Re: New PC won't boot
Thanks for all the advice. I will be returning the item to Tesco's later
today.

Steve

"JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
> You can count the number of beeps and based on our BIOS you can tell what
> part is not working.
> If you never see anything on your monitor then I suspect that I suspect
> that it is not corrected properly. Maybe it is connected crooked so all
> pins are not connected.
>
> "Steve Paddock" <steve.paddock@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Not strictly Vista, as I haven't got that far yet
>>
>> I have just bought a new Medion PC from Tesco. I followed all the
>> instructions for cabling and connections, but on first switch on, there
>> was a continual beeping sound. (POST??) There was no display on the
>> monitor, and the PC wouldn't boot. It sounds as if the disk drives are
>> spinning up. The beeping continues until the PC is powered down
>>
>> Anyone any ideas please - before I take it back.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve

John Barnett MVP

Re: New PC won't boot
Don't start investigating the problem yourself, take it straight back.
Continuous beeping could indicate that the power supply unit is faulty,
especially if the pitch of the beep sound similar to a UK fire engine.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Steve Paddock" <steve.paddock@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Not strictly Vista, as I haven't got that far yet
>
> I have just bought a new Medion PC from Tesco. I followed all the
> instructions for cabling and connections, but on first switch on, there
> was a continual beeping sound. (POST??) There was no display on the
> monitor, and the PC wouldn't boot. It sounds as if the disk drives are
> spinning up. The beeping continues until the PC is powered down
>
> Anyone any ideas please - before I take it back.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Steve Paddock

Re: New PC won't boot
Thanks for all the advice. The PC has now been exchanged and all now seems
OK

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Don't start investigating the problem yourself, take it straight back.
> Continuous beeping could indicate that the power supply unit is faulty,
> especially if the pitch of the beep sound similar to a UK fire engine.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "Steve Paddock" <steve.paddock@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Not strictly Vista, as I haven't got that far yet
>>
>> I have just bought a new Medion PC from Tesco. I followed all the
>> instructions for cabling and connections, but on first switch on, there
>> was a continual beeping sound. (POST??) There was no display on the
>> monitor, and the PC wouldn't boot. It sounds as if the disk drives are
>> spinning up. The beeping continues until the PC is powered down
>>
>> Anyone any ideas please - before I take it back.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve

John Barnett MVP

Re: New PC won't boot