Can't use any network sharing service after changing CPU

Faethe

Can't use any network sharing service after changing CPU
I changed out my CPU and now I get error messages whenever I try to access or
play media on Vista 64. Also can't use my Pinnacle HD stick 800e in Media
Center and can not access my Zune software at all.

I understand that this is a DRM related problem. When I switched out the
CPU, Vista apparently lost track of who I was and will not allow me to
configure network sharing, or media sharing. Chip board and hardware config
all rated for Vista and running on default settings.

Here are some of the yummy error messages:

Windows media player network sharing service has stopped.

I go into Services.msc, set it to manual, automatic, automatic with delayed
start, make sure service is running. No difference. System will not let me in.

Zune just crashes. Won't start.

Media center is fine until it senses the Pinnacle stick. Pinnacle stick is
running on signed drivers - everything is running on signed drivers.

I am the admin on this box.

Everything else is fine - just the stuff that relates to media sharing is
naffed. I have windows live one care running, no problems. I back all my
stuff up with Carbonite, too. I have been able to find no solution in M$ lit,
and concierge is not able to help. From independent research online, other
people who have received this message have been able to locate the
microsoft/drm/cache file and clean it out. This apparently enables the other
services to fire. I am unable to find the DRM folder in this version of Vista
(Home Premium 64).

In addition, If I close the 'Windows media player network sharing service'
error message after boot, it keeps poping up again about once every thirty
seconds.

This is a sincerely annoying damn problem.

How do I fix this without reinstalling Vista?

Rick Rogers

Re: Can't use any network sharing service after changing CPU
Hi,

If the cpu change was significant, not just a replacement, the system files
built around the original aren't going to work with the new one. There may
be no option outside of reinstalling to rebuild the files around the new
hardware.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

news472A7F5-370B-4D24-B143-23BEF7057230@microsoft.com...

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If the cpu change was significant, not just a replacement, the system files
> built around the original aren't going to work with the new one. There may
> be no option outside of reinstalling to rebuild the files around the new
> hardware.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Thank you for your respose, Rick. I enabled 'view hidden folders' and 'view
file extensions' and was able to locate the 'Program
Data/microsoft/windows/drm/cache' and clean it out.

The file path may deviate. The point is to find the DRM cache and clean it
out.

Everything worked just fine after that.

This is a growing problem. As people swap out their cpu's for faster dual
cores, they are going to find themselves with this problem. The issue is the
way Vista validates itself against the sn on the cpu, or motherboard. If for
whatever reason the sn or identifier changes, Vista locks your ability to
access media services or media sharing.

As soon as I cleaned out the DRM cache, my Zune software worked, Media
center was able to find my Pinnacle stick, and windows media player stopped
crashing.

Seriously, man. Someone needs to make a patch or at least a knowlege base
article on this.
sean67854

Re: Can't use any network sharing service after changing CPU

Just out of curiousity, how did you get your 800e stick to work with
VMC?

--
sean67854