External HD and USB sticks "Safely Remove Problem"

Gus

External HD and USB sticks "Safely Remove Problem"
Hello everyone, I own a Western Digital Book 250GB Essential Edition, and two
USB sticks 1. Verbatim Store & Go 2. Kingston Mini Fun. They work perfectly
in Windows Vista Bussines 32x but when it comes the time to remove them none
of them stop working, even if it says that i can safely remove the mass
storage device. I downloaded the hotfix #931619 and the problem still exists.
Can anyone please help me to solve this issue? I have just bought the wd hd
and i don't want to break it...
Wandering

Re: External HD and USB sticks "Safely Remove Problem"
The USB "sticks" do not need "Safely Remove" Just plug them in, use them,
and when you are done, unplug them. The WD drive can be a bit more of a
challenge. But unless you have adjusted it's properties to enable delayed
write, there is no need for safely remove there either. The exception is if
you installed any software on it rather than just putting data on it. I have
a 250, and if it's idle, I can shut it off or remove it at will without
doing anything special first. Sometimes Vista warns me that I might lose
data that way, and sometimes it does not. These days I never do remove it.

There is little real use for most folks of "Safely Remove."

"Gus" <Gus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone, I own a Western Digital Book 250GB Essential Edition, and
> two
> USB sticks 1. Verbatim Store & Go 2. Kingston Mini Fun. They work
> perfectly
> in Windows Vista Bussines 32x but when it comes the time to remove them
> none
> of them stop working, even if it says that i can safely remove the mass
> storage device. I downloaded the hotfix #931619 and the problem still
> exists.
> Can anyone please help me to solve this issue? I have just bought the wd
> hd
> and i don't want to break it...

Uwe Sieber

Re: External HD and USB sticks "Safely Remove Problem"

When it says that it's safe then it is. It's a
new 'feature' of Vista that the USB drives appear
to stay on after successful 'prepare for safe removal'.

Uwe

Gus wrote:
> Hello everyone, I own a Western Digital Book 250GB Essential Edition, and two
> USB sticks 1. Verbatim Store & Go 2. Kingston Mini Fun. They work perfectly
> in Windows Vista Bussines 32x but when it comes the time to remove them none
> of them stop working, even if it says that i can safely remove the mass
> storage device. I downloaded the hotfix #931619 and the problem still exists.
> Can anyone please help me to solve this issue? I have just bought the wd hd
> and i don't want to break it...

Uwe Sieber

Re: External HD and USB sticks "Safely Remove Problem"

That's like crossing the street on red lights and saying
"I've done this a thousand times and had no problems, so
there is little real use for traffic lights".

The removal policies are a placebo in most cases. NTFS
formatted drives always have a write cache enabled.

Even without a write cache a background process or a
simple autosave to an open document might occur just
a moment before the drive in unplugged.

Safe removal (or a Windows shutdown) is the only way to
be sure that everything is fine on the drive.

Uwe

Wandering wrote:
> The USB "sticks" do not need "Safely Remove" Just plug them in, use
> them, and when you are done, unplug them. The WD drive can be a bit more
> of a challenge. But unless you have adjusted it's properties to enable
> delayed write, there is no need for safely remove there either. The
> exception is if you installed any software on it rather than just
> putting data on it. I have a 250, and if it's idle, I can shut it off or
> remove it at will without doing anything special first. Sometimes Vista
> warns me that I might lose data that way, and sometimes it does not.
> These days I never do remove it.
>
> There is little real use for most folks of "Safely Remove."
>

> "Gus" <Gus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello everyone, I own a Western Digital Book 250GB Essential Edition,
>> and two
>> USB sticks 1. Verbatim Store & Go 2. Kingston Mini Fun. They work
>> perfectly
>> in Windows Vista Bussines 32x but when it comes the time to remove
>> them none
>> of them stop working, even if it says that i can safely remove the mass
>> storage device. I downloaded the hotfix #931619 and the problem still
>> exists.
>> Can anyone please help me to solve this issue? I have just bought the
>> wd hd
>> and i don't want to break it...

Indigo

"Uwe Sieber" wrote:

> When it says that it's safe then it is. It's a
> new 'feature' of Vista that the USB drives appear
> to stay on after successful 'prepare for safe removal'.
>

> Uwe
>

> Gus wrote:
> > Hello everyone, I own a Western Digital Book 250GB Essential Edition, and two
> > USB sticks 1. Verbatim Store & Go 2. Kingston Mini Fun. They work perfectly
> > in Windows Vista Bussines 32x but when it comes the time to remove them none
> > of them stop working, even if it says that i can safely remove the mass
> > storage device. I downloaded the hotfix #931619 and the problem still exists.
> > Can anyone please help me to solve this issue? I have just bought the wd hd
> > and i don't want to break it...

Indigo

Re: External HD and USB sticks "Safely Remove Problem"
Thanks for this it has been driving me crazy - thinking that my USB will self
destruct because I removed it while the light is still on - this 'feature' is
not quite logical (given that for XP users the light does go off) and can not
be found easily in the Help files

"Uwe Sieber" wrote:

> When it says that it's safe then it is. It's a
> new 'feature' of Vista that the USB drives appear
> to stay on after successful 'prepare for safe removal'.
>

> Uwe
>

> Gus wrote:
> > Hello everyone, I own a Western Digital Book 250GB Essential Edition, and two
> > USB sticks 1. Verbatim Store & Go 2. Kingston Mini Fun. They work perfectly
> > in Windows Vista Bussines 32x but when it comes the time to remove them none
> > of them stop working, even if it says that i can safely remove the mass
> > storage device. I downloaded the hotfix #931619 and the problem still exists.
> > Can anyone please help me to solve this issue? I have just bought the wd hd
> > and i don't want to break it...

Uwe Sieber

Re: External HD and USB sticks "Safely Remove Problem"

Is it found at all in the Help files?

Uwe