error installing usb wireless adapter

aj1

error installing usb wireless adapter
Hi just got online and bought a wireless adapter. It worked fine until i
started securing the router. It stopped working and ever since i've been
getting error in installing drivers message. I've tried uninstalling,
reinstalling, rebooting and also obtained a 'hotfix' which hasn't worked. The
router is giving off a signal, the usb connection is working and the adapter
is fine. WHY IS THERE A PROBLEM! I,m thinking my only option is to stay
wired.

Please help, thanks.
ato_zee@hotmail.com

Re: error installing usb wireless adapter

On 10-Dec-2007, =?Utf-8?B?YWox?= <aj1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi just got online and bought a wireless adapter. It worked fine until i
> started securing the router.

Remove/unsecure the router for the moment.
It should have an IP address.
Unhook the cat5 wired connection.
Can you Run - pathping {ip address of router}
and it sees the router?

In device manager is there the dreded yellow
exclamation mark against the USB adapter?

> the usb connection is working and the adapter
> is fine

So netstumbler should see the router?

> ever since i've been
> getting error in installing drivers message

Why are you uninstalling/reinstalling drivers?
Are these Vista drivers, MS generic drivers,
or what?

If pathping sees the router then it may be
the connection to the router is ok, it just
needs setting up with a route to the outside
world, and access to a DNS server.
aj1

Re: error installing usb wireless adapter
Hi the router has been rebooted and reset using my Isp's cd. It is wireless
enabled as i am using other hardware with it. Plug in my adapter, Vista
recognises new hardware and recommends installing driver. Press ok and it
downloads and then tries to install. Then i get the error message. The yellow
exclamation mark is against the adapter. Read that a neccessary file may have
been deleted and that's why i used the 'hotfix'.