hard drive filling up by itself

tigeress357

hard drive filling up by itself
My hard drive all of a sudden has decided to show its self as full and
filling more every minute. I have a new 3 month old HP laptop with a 140 GB
drive. I don't have anything that is taking up any amount of space and have
done everything possible to free up more space. I have deleted the old system
restore and shadow files , cleaned up the drive and deleted cookies and temp
files along with every unused program i had there is almost nothing in the
drive except what came in it and about a dozen or so very small programs i
had installed. In a matter of 1 hour today I lost 5GB of space by doing
absolutely nothing. Just a few days ago it was at 45% free. I had managed to
get it back to 47GB free but now it is back to 41 already and losing ground
fast. no unusual processes or programs running. nothing recently installed.
NEED HELP FAST

otj

RE: hard drive filling up by itself
I had the same problem once. It may be that a virus or a worm has installed
itself in your hard disk, unnoticed by your anti-virus software, if you have
one.

If you have a usb drive, I suggest that you back up all your important files
from your hard disk to the drive. Then re-format your hard drive and
re-install your windows OS, anti-virus and programs. Reformatting the hard
disk is the only solution I can think of. It worked for me.

Good Day!

"tigeress357" wrote:

> My hard drive all of a sudden has decided to show its self as full and
> filling more every minute. I have a new 3 month old HP laptop with a 140 GB
> drive. I don't have anything that is taking up any amount of space and have
> done everything possible to free up more space. I have deleted the old system
> restore and shadow files , cleaned up the drive and deleted cookies and temp
> files along with every unused program i had there is almost nothing in the
> drive except what came in it and about a dozen or so very small programs i
> had installed. In a matter of 1 hour today I lost 5GB of space by doing
> absolutely nothing. Just a few days ago it was at 45% free. I had managed to
> get it back to 47GB free but now it is back to 41 already and losing ground
> fast. no unusual processes or programs running. nothing recently installed.
> NEED HELP FAST

jkakar2@gmail.com

Re: hard drive filling up by itself
If it was vista, it might be the backup software that comes up wiht
it. It automatically starts backing up your documents ending up
costing you twice as much space in the process. Google out a way to
figure out how to remove that backup. hope this helps.

On Dec 10 2007, 1:58 pm, tigeress357
<tigeress...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> My hard drive all of a sudden has decided to show its self as full and
> filling more every minute. I have a new 3 month old HP laptop with a 140 GB
> drive. I don't have anything that is taking up any amount of space and have
> done everything possible to free up more space. I have deleted the old system
> restore and shadow files , cleaned up the drive and deleted cookies and temp
> files along with every unused program i had there is almost nothing in the
> drive except what came in it and about a dozen or so very small programs i
> had installed. In a matter of 1 hour today I lost 5GB of space by doing
> absolutely nothing. Just a few days ago it was at 45% free. I had managed to
> get it back to 47GB free but now it is back to 41 already and losing ground
> fast. no unusual processes or programs running. nothing recently installed.
> NEED HELP FAST

veebeegee

Re: hard drive filling up by itself
I am having the same problem, the only backup program that I have is Windows
One Care which backs up my computer every month. I recently reformatted my
hard drive to regain the space and now it's filling up again, any advice or
help will be appreciated.

"jkakar2@gmail.com" wrote:

> If it was vista, it might be the backup software that comes up wiht
> it. It automatically starts backing up your documents ending up
> costing you twice as much space in the process. Google out a way to
> figure out how to remove that backup. hope this helps.
>
> On Dec 10 2007, 1:58 pm, tigeress357
> <tigeress...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > My hard drive all of a sudden has decided to show its self as full and
> > filling more every minute. I have a new 3 month old HP laptop with a 140 GB
> > drive. I don't have anything that is taking up any amount of space and have
> > done everything possible to free up more space. I have deleted the old system
> > restore and shadow files , cleaned up the drive and deleted cookies and temp
> > files along with every unused program i had there is almost nothing in the
> > drive except what came in it and about a dozen or so very small programs i
> > had installed. In a matter of 1 hour today I lost 5GB of space by doing
> > absolutely nothing. Just a few days ago it was at 45% free. I had managed to
> > get it back to 47GB free but now it is back to 41 already and losing ground
> > fast. no unusual processes or programs running. nothing recently installed.
> > NEED HELP FAST

DL

Re: hard drive filling up by itself
If you are backing up to the same hard drive, or even another partition on a
single hard drive, you are wasting your time, since if that hard drive or
the system fails so do your backups