HDD Upgrade of C: Drive - How to claim additional space...

Phil Smith

HDD Upgrade of C: Drive - How to claim additional space...
Hi,

I installed a new 500GB Samsung SATA drive to replace my 250GB Maxtor SATA.
I used Norton Ghost 12 to image copy the original disk to the new Samsung
and then swapped them over physically.

The new disk works fine but I obviously chose the wrong options when
creating the image backup since Vista thinks the new disk is a Maxtor and
only 250GB in size.

Q: How do I get Vista to recognise the full 500GB of space & change of hdd
h/w?
Can this be done without reformatting the drive?

Andy

Re: HDD Upgrade of C: Drive - How to claim additional space...
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:31:01 -0800, Phil Smith
<PhilSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I installed a new 500GB Samsung SATA drive to replace my 250GB Maxtor SATA.
>I used Norton Ghost 12 to image copy the original disk to the new Samsung
>and then swapped them over physically.
>
>The new disk works fine but I obviously chose the wrong options when
>creating the image backup since Vista thinks the new disk is a Maxtor and
>only 250GB in size.
>
>Q: How do I get Vista to recognise the full 500GB of space & change of hdd
>h/w?
> Can this be done without reformatting the drive?

Use Disk Management, extend partition.
Dustin Harper

Re: HDD Upgrade of C: Drive - How to claim additional space...
You should be able to resize the partition. You can go to Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Computer Management, and Resize Partition.

That should work, without having to format and reinstall.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Phil Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed a new 500GB Samsung SATA drive to replace my 250GB Maxtor SATA.
> I used Norton Ghost 12 to image copy the original disk to the new Samsung
> and then swapped them over physically.
>
> The new disk works fine but I obviously chose the wrong options when
> creating the image backup since Vista thinks the new disk is a Maxtor and
> only 250GB in size.
>
> Q: How do I get Vista to recognise the full 500GB of space & change of hdd
> h/w?
> Can this be done without reformatting the drive?

Phil Smith

Re: HDD Upgrade of C: Drive - How to claim additional space...
Hi,

Unfortunately the Extend Volume option is greyed out...

I'm running Computer Management with an account that can up to Admin
privileges, but NOT the actual Admin account (lost password for that
unfortunately).

Is that why the option is greyed, or is there likely to be something else ...?

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> You should be able to resize the partition. You can go to Control Panel,
> Administrative Tools, Computer Management, and Resize Partition.
>
> That should work, without having to format and reinstall.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>

> Phil Smith wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I installed a new 500GB Samsung SATA drive to replace my 250GB Maxtor SATA.
> > I used Norton Ghost 12 to image copy the original disk to the new Samsung
> > and then swapped them over physically.
> >
> > The new disk works fine but I obviously chose the wrong options when
> > creating the image backup since Vista thinks the new disk is a Maxtor and
> > only 250GB in size.
> >
> > Q: How do I get Vista to recognise the full 500GB of space & change of hdd
> > h/w?
> > Can this be done without reformatting the drive?

PurdueEngr

Re: HDD Upgrade of C: Drive - How to claim additional space...

Phil -

You might try running chkdsk. I read that hint in another post
somewhere else.
At worst, it shouldn't hurt anything. Good Luck!

Regards, John

--
PurdueEngr