Another "device cannot start code 10" problem (with canon ixus 70

Matarael

Another "device cannot start code 10" problem (with canon ixus 70
I plug it in, it detects a "Canon Digital Camera", I let it go for a while,
then I get a "failed" report. When I click on it, I get the code 10 thing.

What is going on with this nonsense.

My laptop is an HP G5000, (3 actual USB jacks,
My Windows is Vista Home Premium.
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Another "device cannot start code 10" problem (with canon ixus 70
Try the fix here..

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/usbcode10.shtml

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"Matarael" <Matarael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I plug it in, it detects a "Canon Digital Camera", I let it go for a while,
> then I get a "failed" report. When I click on it, I get the code 10 thing.
>
> What is going on with this nonsense.
>
> My laptop is an HP G5000, (3 actual USB jacks,
> My Windows is Vista Home Premium.

Malke

Matarael wrote:
> I plug it in, it detects a "Canon Digital Camera", I let it go for a while,
> then I get a "failed" report. When I click on it, I get the code 10 thing.
>
> What is going on with this nonsense.
>
> My laptop is an HP G5000, (3 actual USB jacks,
> My Windows is Vista Home Premium.

Does Canon offer Vista drivers for this camera? Go to their website and
find out. If they do, download and install them. If they don't, you
can't connect the camera directly to the laptop. Use a USB card reader
instead. This is actually a better solution when dealing with
transferring pictures from cameras anyway.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Matarael

RE: Another "device cannot start code 10" problem (with canon ixus 70
Thank you I did try that before posting here. It merely repeats the same
process.

"installing Canon Digital Camera"

"...." (wait)

"Installation failed".

Then I just get the triangle with the exclamation mark on Device Managers,
stating the code 10 error.
Matarael

Re: Another "device cannot start code 10" problem (with canon ixus
Their site says "use these drivers to install the camera on Vista". But it
looks like they made it for XP instead.
And as I said, Vista actually says "Canon Digital Camera" before failing,
which means it must have recognized the camera.

I don't really want to buy a card reader, but if this keeps up then I guess
I will. Sucks that I can't just "plug and play" though :-/

"Malke" wrote:

> Matarael wrote:
> > I plug it in, it detects a "Canon Digital Camera", I let it go for a while,
> > then I get a "failed" report. When I click on it, I get the code 10 thing.
> >
> > What is going on with this nonsense.
> >
> > My laptop is an HP G5000, (3 actual USB jacks,
> > My Windows is Vista Home Premium.

> Does Canon offer Vista drivers for this camera? Go to their website and
> find out. If they do, download and install them. If they don't, you
> can't connect the camera directly to the laptop. Use a USB card reader
> instead. This is actually a better solution when dealing with
> transferring pictures from cameras anyway.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Matarael wrote:
> Thank you I did try that before posting here. It merely repeats the same
> process.
>
> "installing Canon Digital Camera"
>
> "...." (wait)
>
> "Installation failed".
>
> Then I just get the triangle with the exclamation mark on Device Managers,
> stating the code 10 error.

A card reader is under $25. From what you've written, there are no Vista
drivers for the camera. The fact that the camera is identified isn't
germane. So your solution is to get a card reader.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Dave

Re: Another "device cannot start code 10" problem (with canon ixus 70
My Olympus camera is not automatically detected as a camera, but it is
detected as an USB drive.
I can open WPG and manually do an Import from the drive.
Does your camera show up as a drive?

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

> Thank you I did try that before posting here. It merely repeats the same
> process.
>
> "installing Canon Digital Camera"
>
> "...." (wait)
>
> "Installation failed".
>
> Then I just get the triangle with the exclamation mark on Device Managers,
> stating the code 10 error.

John

Re: Another "device cannot start code 10" problem (with canon ixus 70
Try doing the following. Find the driver install exe file.
Properties-Compatibility, choose XP Compatible. Now uninstall the drivers.
Restart and run the install program AS ADMIN.

"Matarael" <Matarael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I plug it in, it detects a "Canon Digital Camera", I let it go for a while,
> then I get a "failed" report. When I click on it, I get the code 10 thing.
>
> What is going on with this nonsense.
>
> My laptop is an HP G5000, (3 actual USB jacks,
> My Windows is Vista Home Premium.

nomad

Re: Another "device cannot start code 10" problem (with canon ixus
It really sucks that Vista breaks software that we got with our cameras for
XP. I tried to use the POS Windows Photo Center software and it wants you to
use "tags" to uniquely identify pictures. That's cool and all, if you want
to do that. But it's a PITA, IMO.

The Canon A700 software allows you to download and save picture files by
date and serial niumber, that way when you combine pics taken on different
dates you can't have a file duplication. With the BS Windows software you
can, if you don't use the tags. Why doesn't it have an option to use the
"date_serial_number" convention?

Here's an example....let's say I'm out taking pics of moose in yellowstone
on 12/25 and I get 5 shots. Then I go out and take 5 pics of bears on 12/26.
If I use the Windows Picture Manager or whatever it's called in Vista, they
end up with the same sequence numbers, 1-5. If I try to combine them in one
folder called "wildlife" later, they have the same file name and I have to
manually change them to get them in one folder.

I tried to load my Canon A700 software (one year old!!!) on the Vista PC,
and it doesn't work like it does on XP. I thought this stuff was supposed to
be backward compatible.....so far, Vista SUCKS! How do I fix this crap?

"John" wrote:

> Try doing the following. Find the driver install exe file.
> Properties-Compatibility, choose XP Compatible. Now uninstall the drivers.
> Restart and run the install program AS ADMIN.
>
> "Matarael" <Matarael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I plug it in, it detects a "Canon Digital Camera", I let it go for a while,
> > then I get a "failed" report. When I click on it, I get the code 10 thing.
> >
> > What is going on with this nonsense.
> >
> > My laptop is an HP G5000, (3 actual USB jacks,
> > My Windows is Vista Home Premium.

Dave

Re: Another "device cannot start code 10" problem (with canon ixus
It's up to Canon to provide software that will run on Vista. Look on their
site.

As far as Windows Photo Gallery, it does have some shortcomings. The newer
Windows Live Photo Gallery is much better.
http://get.live.com/photogallery/overview