my hard disk is working all the time

Dawid

my hard disk is working all the time
I have anew vaio laptop with Vista system and after turning it on even if I
do nothing the hard disk is working all the time, it does not stop even after
few hours of not touching the computer (the HD led is blinking and I can hear
the sound of HD working).

I do not think it's notmal, please advice.

Dawid
Dave

Re: my hard disk is working all the time
Vista spends a lot of time indexing files, defragging, running Defender, and
scanning for virii.
This isn't a problem with my desktop computer, which I leave on all the time
so most of this gets done overnight.
A laptop isn't normally on all the time, so it has to run whenever it gets a
chance.

"Dawid" <Dawid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have anew vaio laptop with Vista system and after turning it on even if
> do nothing the hard disk is working all the time, it does not stop even
> after
> few hours of not touching the computer (the HD led is blinking and I can
> hear
> the sound of HD working).
>
> I do not think it's notmal, please advice.
>
> Dawid

Rick Rogers

Re: my hard disk is working all the time
Hi David,

Actually, it might be normal. With a new system, the indexing service
usually takes a few days (7-10) to settle down, and the system is also
learning user habits (superfetch). Eventually, these should subside, but
niether are high priority processes and should not interfere with your use
of the system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dawid" <Dawid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have anew vaio laptop with Vista system and after turning it on even if I
> do nothing the hard disk is working all the time, it does not stop even
> after
> few hours of not touching the computer (the HD led is blinking and I can
> hear
> the sound of HD working).
>
> I do not think it's notmal, please advice.
>
> Dawid

\NachtWacht\

Re: my hard disk is working all the time
=?Utf-8?B?RGF3aWQ=?= <Dawid@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

> I have anew vaio laptop with Vista system and after turning it on even if I
> do nothing the hard disk is working all the time, it does not stop even after
> few hours of not touching the computer (the HD led is blinking and I can hear
> the sound of HD working).
>
> I do not think it's notmal, please advice.

I think your drive is a workaholic.

--
____________________
>> NIGHTWATCHER <<

brink

Dawid;532586 Wrote:
> I have anew vaio laptop with Vista system and after turning it on even
> if I
> do nothing the hard disk is working all the time, it does not stop even
> after
> few hours of not touching the computer (the HD led is blinking and I
> can hear
> the sound of HD working).
>
> I do not think it's notmal, please advice.
>
> Dawid

Hi Dawid,

In addition to the previous posts, it is most likely the Search Index
running to scan the hard drive and make itself current. If you do not
want this and would rather use the non-indexed search, then this
tutorial will show you how to disable the index. It will stop the drive
from running all the time.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...e-disable.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
droothenoo

"Dawid" wrote:

> I have anew vaio laptop with Vista system and after turning it on even if I
> do nothing the hard disk is working all the time, it does not stop even after
> few hours of not touching the computer (the HD led is blinking and I can hear
> the sound of HD working).
>
> I do not think it's notmal, please advice.

It sounds like your anti-virus s/ware has a config problem. Run a full scan
and back up ( if norton 360 ) restart and follow any on screen promps. D
ABDULLAH

Re: my hard disk is working all the time
hi every body,
I think this kind of indexing will not help to speed up your future using of
PC I experinced that the hard disk will losse its quality with continuose
running for nothing so the best solution I picked is to disable the indexing
function to have your disk in its good condition... ( it is not a server for
DATA BASE ) it is a home use PC so please the windows support team don't
overload our PC's ..
(((((((( THE GOOD SOLUTION IS DISABLE INDEXING ))))))))

REGARDS

Colin Barnhorst

Re: my hard disk is working all the time
Does your laptop have an available memory slot? If so, add memory. Windows
starts using the hard drive (paging file) when you are close the the minimum
recommended memory for the OS being run. You do not say what model laptop
or which edition of Vista you have, although I would guess Vista Home
Premium.

"Dawid" <Dawid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have anew vaio laptop with Vista system and after turning it on even if I
> do nothing the hard disk is working all the time, it does not stop even
> after
> few hours of not touching the computer (the HD led is blinking and I can
> hear
> the sound of HD working).
>
> I do not think it's notmal, please advice.
>
> Dawid

DonkeyJab

Re: my hard disk is working all the time
It's the indexing service as has been explained. That was my biggest gripe
when I first turned on my new desktop with Vista. I have a 2x Raptor drives
and a 1TB storage drive so it was quite loud and annoying. I originally
turned Indexing off completely, but then decided to turn it back on and set
it to only index certain files. In any case the drives no longer run all the
time. Its definitely the indexing service, no worries.
"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Does your laptop have an available memory slot? If so, add memory. Windows
> starts using the hard drive (paging file) when you are close the the minimum
> recommended memory for the OS being run. You do not say what model laptop
> or which edition of Vista you have, although I would guess Vista Home
> Premium.
>
> "Dawid" <Dawid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have anew vaio laptop with Vista system and after turning it on even if I
> > do nothing the hard disk is working all the time, it does not stop even
> > after
> > few hours of not touching the computer (the HD led is blinking and I can
> > hear
> > the sound of HD working).
> >
> > I do not think it's notmal, please advice.
> >
> > Dawid

Disenchanted!

RE: my hard disk is working all the time
Yes, this is most annoying. After I install any application, I have to walk
away from my computer while its performing BACKGROUND tasks. It should at
least pick at time when the machine has not been used for a while. A low
priority process still runs even if higher priority process are running too.
Because I have over a TB of storage, indexing would be real nice to have, but
for the same reason, its constant running makes it fall into "the disease is
worse than the cure" category. Why can't Vista say "no user input for an
hour, no full screen apps running, no dvd is being played,etc . . . let me
see if I have any house keeping to do"