Disc Drive not showing up under Drives, not loading discs, ect.

gallegra

Disc Drive not showing up under Drives, not loading discs, ect.
It seems that there are many problems with Vista and disc drives, but I don't
see any that look like the same exact situation, so I wanted to ask
seperately.

First, here's a screencap of "My Computer" only showing 2 drives, the main
CPU and the "Recovery" drive' no disc drive at all.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/...MYCOMPUTER.jpg

As I was looking for answers I found someone talking about a few possible
remedies involving the "Computer Management" program or w/e, but when I went
to the Computer Mangement and looked for Drives, the only two that showed up
were the CPU and "Recovery" again.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/...nagement01.jpg

Then, I saw the "Device Manager" section, and FINALLY at least SAW the drive
under the list, but it had a yellow exclamation point icon on it. No matter
what I did, it didn't "fix" itself; I searched for new Hardware,
software/driver updates, nothing happened at all. I even then tried disabling
it and re-enabling it, and nothing again.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/...nagement02.jpg

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks for looking/helping!

-Gary

JerryM

Re: Disc Drive not showing up under Drives, not loading discs, ect.

Hi, Gary,

Just following through with your drive problems,

Right click Computer and select Manage,
Select Disk Management,
Go to full screen to see all your drives,

You have two partitions on your hard drive, C: & D:
You should also see the DVD drives with different letters.
If your DVD drives have no letters assigned, then you right click on them
and assign a letter higher in the alphabet so as not to interfere with the
hard drive letters.

Jerry

"gallegra" <gallegra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It seems that there are many problems with Vista and disc drives, but I
> don't
> see any that look like the same exact situation, so I wanted to ask
> seperately.

<Snip>

andy

Re: Disc Drive not showing up under Drives, not loading discs, ect.
Try booting a bootable CD or DVD from the DVD drive. This should tell
you if the DVD hardware is functional.

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:05:00 -0800, gallegra