DVD works occasionally

Viv

DVD works occasionally
I have Vista Business and my ATAPI DVD RW 8xMax ATA Device, which is supposed
to be working properly according to the Properties in Device manager.
It has the latest driver, which is Microsoft 6.0.6000.16386 dated 26/10/06.
I have left the region as the default, region 1.

Some DVDs are recognised, and I can see the contents, but for others I get
the message 'Insert a Disc. Please insert a disc in drive D:', followed by
another message 'DVD RW Drive (D is currently in use. Save any open files
on this disc, and then close the files or programs using the files before
trying again. If you choose to continue, the files will be closed, which may
cause data to be lost.'

It always seems to always happen with write once and RW DVDs which I can
open correctly on my other computer, and also with some other discs such as
my Front Page 2003 installation disc, (which is genuine Microsoft).

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Viv
Richard Urban

Re: DVD works occasionally
You may try the following. It has worked for me, as well as others, when a
disk is not recognized by the drive (commercial disks included).

Copy the below information (between the asterisk lines) to Notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000095

Save the file as Autoplay.reg (or something similar).

Go to where you saved the file. Double click to run the file. Accept the
addition to the registry.

Reboot. Put in the Audio CD or Movie DVD. Does it solve your problem?

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Viv" <Viv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Business and my ATAPI DVD RW 8xMax ATA Device, which is
>supposed
> to be working properly according to the Properties in Device manager.
> It has the latest driver, which is Microsoft 6.0.6000.16386 dated
> 26/10/06.
> I have left the region as the default, region 1.
>
> Some DVDs are recognised, and I can see the contents, but for others I get
> the message 'Insert a Disc. Please insert a disc in drive D:', followed
> by
> another message 'DVD RW Drive (D is currently in use. Save any open
> files
> on this disc, and then close the files or programs using the files before
> trying again. If you choose to continue, the files will be closed, which
> may
> cause data to be lost.'
>
> It always seems to always happen with write once and RW DVDs which I can
> open correctly on my other computer, and also with some other discs such
> as
> my Front Page 2003 installation disc, (which is genuine Microsoft).
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is?
>
> Viv

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: DVD works occasionally
You might want to try a cleaner disc in the drive. Inconsistent reading of
discs can sometimes point the the drive laser becoming defective. Windows
only tests for presence and the ability to spin the drive. It has no way of
testing the laser.

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"Viv" <Viv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Business and my ATAPI DVD RW 8xMax ATA Device, which is
>supposed
> to be working properly according to the Properties in Device manager.
> It has the latest driver, which is Microsoft 6.0.6000.16386 dated
> 26/10/06.
> I have left the region as the default, region 1.
>
> Some DVDs are recognised, and I can see the contents, but for others I get
> the message 'Insert a Disc. Please insert a disc in drive D:', followed
> by
> another message 'DVD RW Drive (D is currently in use. Save any open
> files
> on this disc, and then close the files or programs using the files before
> trying again. If you choose to continue, the files will be closed, which
> may
> cause data to be lost.'
>
> It always seems to always happen with write once and RW DVDs which I can
> open correctly on my other computer, and also with some other discs such
> as
> my Front Page 2003 installation disc, (which is genuine Microsoft).
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is?
>
> Viv

Viv

Re: DVD works occasionally

Thanks for the suggestion, Richard, but this makes no difference.

Viv

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> You may try the following. It has worked for me, as well as others, when a
> disk is not recognized by the drive (commercial disks included).
>
> Copy the below information (between the asterisk lines) to Notepad:

> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer]
> "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000095

> Save the file as Autoplay.reg (or something similar).
>
> Go to where you saved the file. Double click to run the file. Accept the
> addition to the registry.
>
> Reboot. Put in the Audio CD or Movie DVD. Does it solve your problem?
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "Viv" <Viv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista Business and my ATAPI DVD RW 8xMax ATA Device, which is
> >supposed
> > to be working properly according to the Properties in Device manager.
> > It has the latest driver, which is Microsoft 6.0.6000.16386 dated
> > 26/10/06.
> > I have left the region as the default, region 1.
> >
> > Some DVDs are recognised, and I can see the contents, but for others I get
> > the message 'Insert a Disc. Please insert a disc in drive D:', followed
> > by
> > another message 'DVD RW Drive (D is currently in use. Save any open
> > files
> > on this disc, and then close the files or programs using the files before
> > trying again. If you choose to continue, the files will be closed, which
> > may
> > cause data to be lost.'
> >
> > It always seems to always happen with write once and RW DVDs which I can
> > open correctly on my other computer, and also with some other discs such
> > as
> > my Front Page 2003 installation disc, (which is genuine Microsoft).
> >
> > Does anyone know what the problem is?
> >
> > Viv

Viv

Re: DVD works occasionally
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that in a few days when I can get to
the shops.

Viv