Keyboard doesn't work in Vista ultimate - it works when logging on

stealth

Keyboard doesn't work in Vista ultimate - it works when logging on
I just built a new computer and installed vista ultimate oem. the keyboard
works when logging in to windows but after I am in windows, I can't type
anything. When I attempt to type, IE crashes (for example). I am using a
ps/2 keyboard and it works fine on another machine (xp pro). I am running an
ASUS Maximus Formula SE motherboard with intel QX6850, 4 gig of corsair
dominator ram (including ram fan), XFX 8600GT PCI-E video card, 3 raptor
drives in RAID 5 and all is in a new antec p160w case......if I don't use the
keyboard, then I can use other programs.

Any advise is appreciated.

JB
John

Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Vista ultimate - it works when logging on
I have a Kensington keyboard that doesn't work in Vista because it reports
that it is a "combo" keyboard when it is just a plain cheap KB, resulting in
failure because it is looking for something other than a keyboard driver.
The fix is to use the adapter that converts its USB to the regular keyboard
input jack on the motherboard. Kensington has no drivers for it.

One thing I did have to adjust was the setting in Control Panel/Keyboard
that says to power up when any key is pressed. You might try this, though
it shouldn't affect your problem.

John

"stealth" <stealth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just built a new computer and installed vista ultimate oem. the keyboard
> works when logging in to windows but after I am in windows, I can't type
> anything. When I attempt to type, IE crashes (for example). I am using a
> ps/2 keyboard and it works fine on another machine (xp pro). I am running
> an
> ASUS Maximus Formula SE motherboard with intel QX6850, 4 gig of corsair
> dominator ram (including ram fan), XFX 8600GT PCI-E video card, 3 raptor
> drives in RAID 5 and all is in a new antec p160w case......if I don't use
> the
> keyboard, then I can use other programs.
>
> Any advise is appreciated.
>
> JB

Kael34

Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Vista ultimate - it works when logging on
Try this: in Bios/Setup check the box which tells you something like that
"your operating system is plug and play one" - you should check "no" instead
of "yes".
It let your bios to connect all devices, so you will have access to them
before system is ready.
Leszek

Użytkownik "stealth" <stealth@discussions.microsoft.com> napisał w
wiadomości news:0D176270-9E90-4C9B-9E57-524AF737BA96@microsoft.com...
> I just built a new computer and installed vista ultimate oem. the
> keyboard
> works when logging in to windows but after I am in windows, I can't type
> anything. When I attempt to type, IE crashes (for example). I am using a
> ps/2 keyboard and it works fine on another machine (xp pro). I am running
> an
> ASUS Maximus Formula SE motherboard with intel QX6850, 4 gig of corsair
> dominator ram (including ram fan), XFX 8600GT PCI-E video card, 3 raptor
> drives in RAID 5 and all is in a new antec p160w case......if I don't use
> the
> keyboard, then I can use other programs.
>
> Any advise is appreciated.
>
> JB

Jeppe

RE: Keyboard doesn't work in Vista ultimate - it works when logging on

I had the same problem, it turns out that there is a problem with the "Ai
suite" that comes with Asus Maximus Formula motherboards, there is a never
version on asus homepage.

how i experienced it was, that no matter which program i had selected, as
soon as i touched the keyboard, the program would crash.

I hope this helps.