All drivers won't auto install

Teliara

All drivers won't auto install
Hi

I've been having an ongoing problem with Vista 32bit OS.
When ever I attach a new device, be it mouse, keyboard, 360 extender,
joystick, anything basically. I get 'device detected', I then choose to let
windows find the drivers automaticly. The problem is that it never finds
them. I then have to choose the show me other options and select the browse
option.

Now this happens with microsoft products like the MS Keyboard and XBox 360
Extender. Which should install without a problem.

Although this never used to happen when I first installed Vista, it did
start happening shortly after. As much as it is a pain in the backside I can
live with it.
Except for when it happens when trying to setup my XBox 360 as an Extender.
Windows Media Center does not give you enough time while you fart about
waiting for the auto install driver to search windows update for around 60
secs, then ask you to browse for the driver in the System 32 folder etc, then
the search. I have just enough time to install the first driver then it asks
me to install 2 more. During which WMC times out, thus failing the Extender
setup.

I know this is not how vista is supposed to work and I was wondering if I
have disabled some feature somewhere along the line.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Randy

RE: All drivers won't auto install
Maybe the build-in USB driver are corrupted, I think you can reload USB
driver by uninstalling all of the USB items under "universal Serial Bus
controllers" in the device manager.

Good luck.

"Teliara" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been having an ongoing problem with Vista 32bit OS.
> When ever I attach a new device, be it mouse, keyboard, 360 extender,
> joystick, anything basically. I get 'device detected', I then choose to let
> windows find the drivers automaticly. The problem is that it never finds
> them. I then have to choose the show me other options and select the browse
> option.
>
> Now this happens with microsoft products like the MS Keyboard and XBox 360
> Extender. Which should install without a problem.
>
> Although this never used to happen when I first installed Vista, it did
> start happening shortly after. As much as it is a pain in the backside I can
> live with it.
> Except for when it happens when trying to setup my XBox 360 as an Extender.
> Windows Media Center does not give you enough time while you fart about
> waiting for the auto install driver to search windows update for around 60
> secs, then ask you to browse for the driver in the System 32 folder etc, then
> the search. I have just enough time to install the first driver then it asks
> me to install 2 more. During which WMC times out, thus failing the Extender
> setup.
>
> I know this is not how vista is supposed to work and I was wondering if I
> have disabled some feature somewhere along the line.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help given.

Mick

RE: All drivers won't auto install
I had the same problem. You can uninstall and reinstall the drivers but it
makes no difference. When you plug in the USB device it asks for drivers
again.

I'm not sure what I did or if Vista sorted it out but it finally after a
couple of weeks it came good. I don't have the problem with any of my USB
devices any more.

Mick