DVD drive spins with no disk

MBO

DVD drive spins with no disk
Hi,
I'm wondering what setting I can access to keep my DVD drive from spinning
up frequently - even when there's no disk in the drive. I know that there
used to be a problem with older versions of Windows where you could stop this
from happening, but I'm not sure if this is the same for Vista or how to stop
the behavior.

Thanks for any tips you might have.

MBO
Rick Rogers

Re: DVD drive spins with no disk
Hi,

Make sure it isn't being actively scanned by your antivirus product. Also,
if the activity seems to be related to one particular program check the mru
lists and settings of it to see if that is the cause.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"MBO" <MBO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm wondering what setting I can access to keep my DVD drive from spinning
> up frequently - even when there's no disk in the drive. I know that there
> used to be a problem with older versions of Windows where you could stop
> this
> from happening, but I'm not sure if this is the same for Vista or how to
> stop
> the behavior.
>
> Thanks for any tips you might have.
>
> MBO

MBO

Re: DVD drive spins with no disk
Hi Rick,

I know this is going to be a dumb question, but I'm not sure where to check
the MRU settings.

Thanks for your help.

MBO

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Make sure it isn't being actively scanned by your antivirus product. Also,
> if the activity seems to be related to one particular program check the mru
> lists and settings of it to see if that is the cause.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "MBO" <MBO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I'm wondering what setting I can access to keep my DVD drive from spinning
> > up frequently - even when there's no disk in the drive. I know that there
> > used to be a problem with older versions of Windows where you could stop
> > this
> > from happening, but I'm not sure if this is the same for Vista or how to
> > stop
> > the behavior.
> >
> > Thanks for any tips you might have.
> >
> > MBO

Rick Rogers

Re: DVD drive spins with no disk
Hi,

If an application you run recently had to load a file from a CD/DVD, then
that program may have save the location in a MRU (most recently used) list
in order to locate the file quickly should you need it again. When it's
loaded, it may be attempting to locate that file, hence the drive activity.
Should this be the case, then clearing the list in the program's settings
may resolve your issue.

--

> Hi Rick,
>
> I know this is going to be a dumb question, but I'm not sure where to
> check
> the MRU settings.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> MBO
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Make sure it isn't being actively scanned by your antivirus product.
>> Also,
>> if the activity seems to be related to one particular program check the
>> mru
>> lists and settings of it to see if that is the cause.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "MBO" <MBO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm wondering what setting I can access to keep my DVD drive from
>> > spinning
>> > up frequently - even when there's no disk in the drive. I know that
>> > there
>> > used to be a problem with older versions of Windows where you could
>> > stop
>> > this
>> > from happening, but I'm not sure if this is the same for Vista or how
>> > stop
>> > the behavior.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any tips you might have.
>> >
>> > MBO

MBO

Re: DVD drive spins with no disk
Thanks Rick. I'll try to figure out where it is. I appreciate your help. I
thought MRU had to do with connectivity. <G>

MBO

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If an application you run recently had to load a file from a CD/DVD, then
> that program may have save the location in a MRU (most recently used) list
> in order to locate the file quickly should you need it again. When it's
> loaded, it may be attempting to locate that file, hence the drive activity.
> Should this be the case, then clearing the list in the program's settings
> may resolve your issue.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "MBO" <MBO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > I know this is going to be a dumb question, but I'm not sure where to
> > check
> > the MRU settings.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > MBO
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Make sure it isn't being actively scanned by your antivirus product.
> >> Also,
> >> if the activity seems to be related to one particular program check the
> >> mru
> >> lists and settings of it to see if that is the cause.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Wandering

Re: DVD drive spins with no disk
Rick may well be right, and if so, then it's likely to just go away in a few
days as it gets pushed off the MRU list by later programs. You might just
wait a bit and see.

--

Blessings & peace --- Ray
> Thanks Rick. I'll try to figure out where it is. I appreciate your help. I
> thought MRU had to do with connectivity. <G>
>
> MBO
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If an application you run recently had to load a file from a CD/DVD, then
>> that program may have save the location in a MRU (most recently used)
>> list
>> in order to locate the file quickly should you need it again. When it's
>> loaded, it may be attempting to locate that file, hence the drive
>> activity.
>> Should this be the case, then clearing the list in the program's settings
>> may resolve your issue.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "MBO" <MBO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Rick,
>> >
>> > I know this is going to be a dumb question, but I'm not sure where to
>> > check
>> > the MRU settings.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> > MBO

MBO

Re: DVD drive spins with no disk
Thanks Ray and Rick.

I'm thinking you guys are probably right. This started to crop up after I
restored the Documents folder following a clean install of Vista. That
obviously screwed with the system. Several of the Windows Vista programs such
as Calendar and Media Center somehow disappeared. May have to reinstall and
be careful about what I restore next time.

Thanks again for all of the help.

MBO