Problem installing HP Photosmart C4280

Kat

Problem installing HP Photosmart C4280
I have Windows Vista and wanted to install my new HP All-in-One printer. The
printer first did not want to print, so I called HP Technical support. After
an hour on the phone, we finally got the computer to communicate with the
printer...so far so good.

Now I tried to scan something, but the printer will tell me repeatedly that
the USB cable is not connecte, even though it very well is. I called HP
Support again, spent 2.5 hours on the phone with them and it still does not
work. The lady tried to delete some "keys" but the computer would not give me
permission to do so and would not even give me permission to change the
permission to do so, even though I am the only user of this computer.

Is there anybody, who has encountered the same problem and who can help me?
I am not a computer nerd, so please try and make it understandable.
Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Wandering

Re: Problem installing HP Photosmart C4280
A couple of thoughts.

Multifunction devices generally must be plugged into the back USB ports, and
not into a hub.

Second, HP's are really fussy about installation procedure. Run the driver
install program, reboot,
continue the install, and only then plug in the printer when the routine
tells you to.

If you haven't done these things, you may have to uninstall and reinstall
following their procedure exactly.

That's about what I know on HP's. I could add that Epson multifunction units
use a separate scanner driver that must also be installed, and in the proper
sequence.

Good luck!

"Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news9885CB4-465B-47AC-B478-6A8BBACC28FA@microsoft.com...
>I have Windows Vista and wanted to install my new HP All-in-One printer.
>The
> printer first did not want to print, so I called HP Technical support.
> After
> an hour on the phone, we finally got the computer to communicate with the
> printer...so far so good.
>
> Now I tried to scan something, but the printer will tell me repeatedly
> that
> the USB cable is not connecte, even though it very well is. I called HP
> Support again, spent 2.5 hours on the phone with them and it still does
> not
> work. The lady tried to delete some "keys" but the computer would not give
> me
> permission to do so and would not even give me permission to change the
> permission to do so, even though I am the only user of this computer.
>
> Is there anybody, who has encountered the same problem and who can help
> me?
> I am not a computer nerd, so please try and make it understandable.
> Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Tod

Re: Problem installing HP Photosmart C4280

For whoever.
After some days spent (emails & chats with HP) trying to get my HP
Photosmart C4485 All-in-One to work correctly, I tried a tip I found on
the web not related to my Printer.
Try turning off the UAC (User Account Control). It cured my problems
and I hope it helps yours.

--
Tod