U. S. Robotics 5660C modem

speedlearner

U. S. Robotics 5660C modem
I currently own an Asus p5nsli motherboard and a soundblaster audigy pci
card. I also own a U. S. Robotics 5660C modem. When I had Windows XP pro, I
installed Real Player 11. At that time I had an old Diamond modem that
worked just fine. But then I ran the Vista Upgrade Advisor. It said that my
modem was too old and I had to replace it. So I bought a NextTech modem.
When I installed it, the system crashed. It did reboot, but the computer
never did resign onto the internet. I took out the modem and reinstalled the
Diamond modem. All worked well.

Then I put a BestData modem into my computer. Then the computer crashed
again. I replaced it with the diamond modem and things worked just fine
again. Out of frustration I bought a U. S. Robotics 5660C modem. It signed
on the internet, but when I received a call from callwave or ran Real Player
11 while on the internet, it crashed again. I was able to run both Real
Player 11 and CallWave when I wasn't on the internet, but when I signed on,
it crashed again. That's when I bought Windows Vista.

At first all worked well, but after I updated my drivers and installed all
the Wndows Updates, I started having crashes again. First I had a crash
from Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition. I uninstalled it, but the crashes
continued. Once again if I run CallWave or Real Player 11 on the internet,
the computer crashes. The computer indicates I have a driver problem, but I
don't know what to do about it. U. S. Robotics wants me to change my modem
and I will this week. But this may not be the whole problem.

The Windows Upgrade advisor said that the U. S. Robotics 5660c modem was
compatible, but U. S. Robotics said it wasn't. The upgrade advisor lied to
me. I think that was wrong.

The mystery is why Real Player 11 and CallWave works perfectly unless I am
on the internet. What are they using that causes my computer to crash? Will
replacing the modem solve the problem or do I have more problems to solve? I
hope I don't have to reformat my hard drive. I just set it up this past
week. And when is Microsoft going to release it's first service pack for
Vista? I hope they burn it on a disk so I can get it without downloading it.
--
Sincerely, The Speedlearner
Dominic Payer

Re: U. S. Robotics 5660C modem
See http://www.usr.com/support/s-windows.asp

The 5660C http://www.usr.com/support/product-t...asp?prod=5660c is an
old modem not currently listed as supported.