Hibernate and sleep is gone in vista

Edward

Hibernate and sleep is gone in vista
I went through all the steps and did the powercfg -h on and it says this:
hibernation failed with the following error: the request is not supported.

The following items are preventing hibernation on this system.
there are one or more legacy drivers installed:
VgaSave
An internal system component has disabled hibernation.

Please help I can't think of anything else to do but to reinstall my system
and I don't want to do that

Michael Walraven

Re: Hibernate and sleep is gone in vista
Edward,

In general VGASAVE is used when there is no suitable video driver (or it
fails).

Check the website of your computer for Vista drivers for your video card.

Michael
Vista home premium

"Edward" <Edward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I went through all the steps and did the powercfg -h on and it says this:
> hibernation failed with the following error: the request is not supported.
>
> The following items are preventing hibernation on this system.
> there are one or more legacy drivers installed:
> VgaSave
> An internal system component has disabled hibernation.
>
> Please help I can't think of anything else to do but to reinstall my
> system
> and I don't want to do that

Kerry Brown

Re: Hibernate and sleep is gone in vista
Did you do a recent Windows Update that included a video driver. If you did
try a System Restore to a time before the update.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Edward" <Edward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I went through all the steps and did the powercfg -h on and it says this:
> hibernation failed with the following error: the request is not supported.
>
> The following items are preventing hibernation on this system.
> there are one or more legacy drivers installed:
> VgaSave
> An internal system component has disabled hibernation.
>
> Please help I can't think of anything else to do but to reinstall my
> system
> and I don't want to do that

Adam F.

Re: Hibernate and sleep is gone in vista
Hi all, new here and this seems like my problem. I did a recent update to a
video driver (Intel 945 Chipset on Toshiba A 600 with Vista Premium) and it
did not install properly. I try to run System Restore and it says
authorization denied. Can't seem to install the driver from Intel. Now the
Device Manager isn't recognizing the Chipset, just says 'Display Adapters'.
Unfortunately, this comp is next to new, and I haven't created a restore disc
set yet. Any help?
Adam.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Did you do a recent Windows Update that included a video driver. If you did
> try a System Restore to a time before the update.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Edward" <Edward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I went through all the steps and did the powercfg -h on and it says this:
> > hibernation failed with the following error: the request is not supported.
> >
> > The following items are preventing hibernation on this system.
> > there are one or more legacy drivers installed:
> > VgaSave
> > An internal system component has disabled hibernation.
> >
> > Please help I can't think of anything else to do but to reinstall my
> > system
> > and I don't want to do that

Kerry Brown

Re: Hibernate and sleep is gone in vista
Try Toshiba tech support. With Toshiba it's very important to only use
drivers supplied by Toshiba. They modify Windows and the drivers to work
properly with their hardware. You will probably have to either download and
install the Toshiba drivers or restore the computer to it's factory setup.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Adam F." <Adam F.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, new here and this seems like my problem. I did a recent update to
> video driver (Intel 945 Chipset on Toshiba A 600 with Vista Premium) and
> it
> did not install properly. I try to run System Restore and it says
> authorization denied. Can't seem to install the driver from Intel. Now the
> Device Manager isn't recognizing the Chipset, just says 'Display
> Adapters'.
> Unfortunately, this comp is next to new, and I haven't created a restore
> disc
> set yet. Any help?
> Adam.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Did you do a recent Windows Update that included a video driver. If you
>> did
>> try a System Restore to a time before the update.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>> "Edward" <Edward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I went through all the steps and did the powercfg -h on and it says
>> >this:
>> > hibernation failed with the following error: the request is not
>> > supported.
>> >
>> > The following items are preventing hibernation on this system.
>> > there are one or more legacy drivers installed:
>> > VgaSave
>> > An internal system component has disabled hibernation.
>> >
>> > Please help I can't think of anything else to do but to reinstall my
>> > system
>> > and I don't want to do that

Amit

Re: Hibernate and sleep is gone in vista
I am also experiencing the same issue in Sony Vaio VGN-SZ440N (dual
grpahics). Intel945 driver (even the original from Sony) is not working,
VgaSave takes over due to erro code 12 in the graphics adaptor (under device
manager).

Thanfully other grpahics card (Nvidia Go7400) is doing fine.

I believe something was wrong in Windows Updates that broke this grpahics
driver real bad!