Dual Monitor wreaks havoc; how to turn off?

Domenick

Dual Monitor wreaks havoc; how to turn off?
I have a zd8000 notebook with Vista Home Premium (all crit. & rec. updates),
and ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics (latest driver). Now, the zd8k isn't
"certified" for Vista, so hp pretty much hangs up on me when I try to get
help from them. Microsoft might do the same, I'm not sure. But it's been
working like a dream except for this small issue...

I have an LCD plugged into the standard VGA on the nb. Naturally, Vista and
my zd8k assume this means I can see two LCDs: the one on my nb and the one on
my desk. However, due to an unfortunate mishap involving scotch and a blind
rodent, the keyboard and LCD on my little guy are fried. Absolutely nothing.
But it doesn't seem to know that they're not working anymore, so rather than
pay the 2 grand to have it fixed, I just use it as a desktop with an external
LCD, keyboard, and mouse plugged in 24/7.

So now, after installing Vista, things work great for a while until I had to
reboot. I'll get through POST just fine, and I'll see the little green Knight
Rider swoosher (sorry to get so technical) at the bottom of the screen when
Windows is getting ready to start logon, then....blank screen, I still hear
the Vista Jingle, but then nothing. And then the screen goes from blank to
black (i.e., my LCD is not receiving anything from the laptop, so it goes
into power saving mode--from which no amount of keystrokes or mouse shakes
will coax it back). I'm almost positive it is this dual monitor thing.

Some things I've tried: safe mode works just fine. But of course it loads a
generic video adapter so I can't mess with dual monitor settings. I then
disabled my Radeon in dev man, and can restart normally. But then I lose all
advanced functionality and resolution past 800x600. Enable it again, restart,
and it's back to black. Keyboard shortcuts for switching monitors do not work.

So, essentially, my computer is trying to use a primary display that doesn't
work, and there is a secondary display plugged in. I'm not giving up on this,
so please don't say I need to get new hardware. There is a workaround for
everything, if one is lazy enough

Cheers thanks

-D