Manually Turning Off Laptop Monitor

Alnis

Manually Turning Off Laptop Monitor
I've installed Vista on an admittedly older laptop (a Toshiba Satellite Pro
6100, circa 2003), and I'm having a heck of a time trying to shut off the
monitor.

This may be connected to a larger problem with the screen saver and
power-saving functions, which also do not work. (There is one exception to
this: the screen saver will come on if the computer is restarted and left
untouched at the login screen. It will not come on if the computer has been
locked.)

I often need to leave my laptop running for extended periods of time, but I
cannot shut the lid because it tends to overheat. In order to save power (as
well as extend the life of my LCD screen) I would like to be able to manually
turn the monitor off (or at least successfully set up the power-saving
features such that the monitor turns off after a period of inactivity.)

Thanks,

Alnis
(I should note that I've tried a couple of third-party software options,
"Shutter" and "Power Monitor Off 2.0", neither of which seem to be able to
turn the monitor off.)
JerryM

Re: Manually Turning Off Laptop Monitor
You should be able to set a time in Power Options (classic view),
Choose when to turn off display.

"Alnis" <Alnis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've installed Vista on an admittedly older laptop (a Toshiba Satellite
> Pro
> 6100, circa 2003), and I'm having a heck of a time trying to shut off the
> monitor.

<Snip>

Alnis

Re: Manually Turning Off Laptop Monitor
Thanks for your prompt reply.

I should have been clearer in my question. I am familiar with the Power
Options, and I have tried to set them to turn the monitor off, but but even
if I set it to "1 minute," for example, the monitor never shuts off, even
when I haven't touched the mouse/keyboard for 24 hours.

"JerryM" wrote:

> You should be able to set a time in Power Options (classic view),
> Choose when to turn off display.
>
> "Alnis" <Alnis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've installed Vista on an admittedly older laptop (a Toshiba Satellite
> > Pro
> > 6100, circa 2003), and I'm having a heck of a time trying to shut off the
> > monitor.
> >

> <Snip>

JerryM

Re: Manually Turning Off Laptop Monitor
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you,

Jerry

> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> I should have been clearer in my question. I am familiar with the Power
> Options, and I have tried to set them to turn the monitor off, but but
> even
> if I set it to "1 minute," for example, the monitor never shuts off, even
> when I haven't touched the mouse/keyboard for 24 hours.

<Snip>

James David Byrne

Re: Manually Turning Off Laptop Monitor
Could try Steve Gibson's "wizmo". HTH James :-)

"Alnis" <Alnis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've installed Vista on an admittedly older laptop (a Toshiba Satellite
> Pro
> 6100, circa 2003), and I'm having a heck of a time trying to shut off the
> monitor.
>
> This may be connected to a larger problem with the screen saver and
> power-saving functions, which also do not work. (There is one exception to
> this: the screen saver will come on if the computer is restarted and left
> untouched at the login screen. It will not come on if the computer has
> been
> locked.)
>
> I often need to leave my laptop running for extended periods of time, but
> cannot shut the lid because it tends to overheat. In order to save power
> (as
> well as extend the life of my LCD screen) I would like to be able to
> manually
> turn the monitor off (or at least successfully set up the power-saving
> features such that the monitor turns off after a period of inactivity.)

> Thanks,
>
> Alnis
> (I should note that I've tried a couple of third-party software options,
> "Shutter" and "Power Monitor Off 2.0", neither of which seem to be able to
> turn the monitor off.)

vikrantkpr

Re: Manually Turning Off Laptop Monitor

shareware "Turn Off Monitor" at 'Turn Off Monitor,ShutDown,Lock
Workstation,Turn Off Laptop Monitor and much more...'
(http://www.rtsoftwares.com) should be able to do the job

--
vikrantkpr
Gordon

"vikrantkpr" <vikrantkpr.36gjx2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> shareware "Turn Off Monitor" at 'Turn Off Monitor,ShutDown,Lock
> Workstation,Turn Off Laptop Monitor and much more...'
> (http://www.rtsoftwares.com) should be able to do the job

Please QUOTE the post you are replying to.

http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

Thank you.